Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2016, 10:18   #1

Boat: rodman 1250 adv
Used aluminum sailing yachts

Hi-I am a new member i have been following this forum for long time.
I have question.
I am looking to buy aluminum yachts and I have found one it is Garcia 57 built 200/8 . I have seen the yachts it looks new but it is out of the water in boat yard over 7 years it only sailed very little. I am not familiar with aluminum hull Any comment or advice very much appreciated.

Allin
Mohallin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 10:28   #2

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50
Re: Used aluminum sailing yachts

Can't speak personally on aluminum boats because I have no experience with them, however, I do know that Garcia makes a hell of a boat. A boat from 2008 should be in great shape if it was taken care of properly, which an owner of a 57' boat most likely did.
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 20:25   #3

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Invest in the most extensive survey you can afford. All will be revealed...if you are lucky and the surveyor is skilled.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 13:01   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Out of the water for 7 years should be a big plus if the engine(s) and other mechanical gear haven't suffered from disuse. Have the seller demonstrate that all systems still work and get a good surveyor.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 15:37   #5

Boat: irwin 37 center cockpit

my grandfather built alum. boats, and while he passed in 2001, his boats are still around. brewers marina in wickford r.i is still using the work skiffs he built 33 years ago, my uncle is still sailing the 34ft, (built 1979) my father still takes the 21ft center console out fishing in the summers, (built 1974) and my older brother uses the 10ft row boat for his dingy. (built 1983) the biggest thing to look at is the welds, with proper zincs you will not have a problem. if you can have them sonic test the hull (how to tell how thick the plate is) do that. it being out of the water so long will only be a problem for mechanical, and if you need some touch up paint make sure you use a zinc primer first and then primer, base, and finish coat. if you see blisters in the paint, make sure you open up those areas. look around where the mast meets the keel (or deck), around the engine mounts, battery boxes, chain plates, prop shaft and rudder post. if no blisters or white chalky stuff all the better. if you buy it make sure you keep up on the zincs, one person on the dock with stray current can make a mess of your boat.
fisherman.ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 16:37   #6

Boat: Traditional 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohallin View Post
Hi-I am a new member i have been following this forum for long time.
I have question.
I am looking to buy aluminum yachts and I have found one it is Garcia 57 built 200/8 . I have seen the yachts it looks new but it is out of the water in boat yard over 7 years it only sailed very little. I am not familiar with aluminum hull Any comment or advice very much appreciated.

Allin
Electrolosis is the enemy of all metal boats. Unlike with steel though Oxidisation isnt too much of a problem

Here's one persons nightmare with aluminium. The upside of this story is that she stuck to it and spent a bucket load of money and is now enjoying her adventure. The moral, make sure you have a good surveyor who knows alloy boats.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 16:51   #7

Boat: CMPF Trisbal 36 / Beneteau Ocenais 510

Here's a couple of links that my help:
Search Results
Sail Far Live Free - Sailboats, Sailing News, and Gear: The Metal Yacht - Aluminum & Steel Sailboat Perspectives
Cruising World Article - Aluminum For Boats

Tags
aluminum, sail, sailing, yacht