Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2009, 11:34   #16

Boat: Cascade
I pulled the large outdated oven/ stove off of mine and found an electric cooler and simple two burner fold n go Coleman. I saved space . The cooler works much better than the old icebox and it is simple to clean out. The Coleman stove has higher btu ratings than the old stove and it has push button lighting.There is a propane instalation in the boat but I didn't trust it. I'm not sure if a Coleman would be comfortable for a live aboard... I use mine for weekends. I use the small 1 pound bottles and simply attach use and detach. I store them in the vented locker.

However failure can happen in even the most simple process

One problem I ran into is that the 1 pound tanks and ball check valves ar steel and rust. I removed one from my bbq and it rusted open and leaked .... no way to shut it off. I was at the slip and carried it far away to vent. Never store any tank unvented.

Still have a Whale hand pump on the galley and head sinks, I think a simple on demand system would be easier.
Old 14-10-2009, 19:01   #17

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
For what its worth, having a pressure water system on a 26-27 foot boat is perhaps going overboard. Do you really need pressure water? Squeezing a shower in will be pretty difficult. For cooking and washing a pump faucet is plenty fine to my mind. Less complications, less to break down. Less power consumption.

Stoves, I find a coleman camp stove works admirabley, at a fraction of the price. I had a gas-fitter friend make up the required coupling to the stove and use a regular tank n regulator for the feed.

I had a portapotty on the last boat, It broke a fitting at the bottom and leaked fluid all over the place. When I finally did get around to replacing it, I got one with a tank under it, that was plumbed for pump out. I forget the name of it but it served well on a 26ft boat. The tank was very small and a nuisance if you wanted to use it for more than a weekend but better than the original portapotty.

Sabre
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote