Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2011, 09:51   #16

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Re: Time to get busy

Yep! I've got the green too. All the halyards and reef lines on deck and the lower mast, as well as the spreaders.

The hull/deck joint, after I get it glassed over then I'll be doing a cap rail and glass over it. Then the T-track will go on to of that with the screws staggering the other fasteners. Lots of sanding and fair then come the arch and paint.

But here it is, the trees are starting to bloom and the bees are still frozen. What ever happen to the global warming they promised.
The rain these last last couple of years, my easement is starting to wash away, and it's paved over.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:48   #17

Boat: 1972 Contest 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreKai View Post
You people further south are lucky. Its bright n sunny but still pretty cold. 6C today and down to freezing or below tonight. I've still got the winter covers on both boats, and won't be taking them off for another couple of weeks.

First thing on the agenda is to reinstall the electrical system on the boat I sold last fall. That was part of the deal. The panel is ready, now all I need to do is run the wiring back n forth and connect it all. That one has to be ready for launch by the end of April and then she's gone.

Once that's done I can start on gutting Sabre Dance and pulling out the engine and stuff. Going to be a hard working summer this year.

Sabre
Last Tuesday night I was pulling the old girl off the beach. She dragged both anchors and went in stern first. She didn't hit to hard and I don't think it hurt anything.
Then it was lousy weather Thursday with Tornado's and worry all day long. Lost power and phones at my shop all day long and I still don't know how she missed the other boats at the anchorage but I have said a thankful prayer and she is safe and sound.
This boating thing is worse then a kid.
Old 06-04-2011, 18:09   #18

Great now it's 34º and snow like hell here in Lynwood, WA.
Old 06-04-2011, 19:43   #19

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Yep snowing here too,, went down and spread rock salt on the deck...ala Shackelton.
Hope you didn't have a pot of epoxy mixed up.

Todd
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 05:18   #20

Boat: 1972 Contest 33

Warm and sunny now. I can't keep the sweat from hitting my sunglasses. Life is hard...:-)
Old 12-04-2011, 21:40   #21

Re: Time to Get Busy

Well, I made some progress this week. the salted deck is bleaching quite nicely. The cockpit seats are all stripped and will get bleached and cleaned tommorow. Then it's just sealer and oil and I am ready to go into the yard for paint and a few rigging parts. Still have not tried to start the outboard.....whohoo! Havin fun now.

Todd
Old 13-04-2011, 07:00   #22

WTG Todd, It was actually not too bad of a day yesterday. I actually got some sanding done, getting ready for that cap-rail. And have an appointment tomorrow with a guy to build and arch.

Finally, coming out of hibernation.
Old 13-04-2011, 07:17   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
WTG Todd, It was actually not too bad of a day yesterday. I actually got some sanding done, getting ready for that cap-rail. And have an appointment tomorrow with a guy to build and arch.

Finally, coming out of hibernation.
Yah, no more hibernation! What's with the arch? Radar/solar panel? Stainless? Some day I need to get a bow pulpit. Hopefully before I have a fouling event of the furler that's way out on the sprit.

Todd
Old 13-04-2011, 07:50   #24

The arch will be for antennas, radar, hanging the O/B, solar panels, stern light and attaching the boom traveller up off the cockpit deck, above the tiller. And considering adding a small detachable jib for hoisting the O/B on/off. It would be similar to this one, but w/o the domes. And a bit shorter w/larger tubing.

Old 14-04-2011, 18:50   #25

That will be an action packed spot with all that stuff mounted up there. It seems like you might be able to use a bit less purchase on the main sheet with it moved aft. Are you going to need to add some structure aft to take the deck loads? The main makes alot of power.

Todd
Old 14-04-2011, 20:18   #26

The builder has been building arches a long time and we went over it today. He feels it'll be plenty strong with 2" tubing. As well, I'm adding a little swinging jib for lifting my OB.

The backing plates will be 1/2" G-10 material epoxied underneath, twice the size of the arch footprint. Plus some re-coreing of the deck under the pad bolts to avoid crushing the core.

The purchase will remain the same but the length of the sheet will reduce a lot. The traveller will be head high with the cam cleats attached to the car. This allows me to pull down the tiller easily to start up the Monitor wind vane w/o the traveler sheets getting in the way.

The under side of the arch will be level with the top of the bimini and the traveller about 8" below that.
Old 15-04-2011, 16:36   #27

Sounds like an excellent mod. What material are you going to use for the core?

Todd
Old 15-04-2011, 19:35   #28

The deck core is balsa right now and that stuff will crush under load. So, I'll drill the bolt mounting holes and spin out the balsa core as deep as I can and fill it with hi-density (404) filler & epoxy. Then I'll be using 1/2" G10 epoxied to the hull for backing plates. See example pictures......

That should keep everything in place under load.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	drillmotor.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	26206   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3666.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	26207  

Old 15-04-2011, 20:15   #29

Doin' it tough here...

ABM 7 day Forecast
Saturday: Fine and sunny. Light winds. Min 12 Max 24
Sunday: Fine and warm. Light winds. Min 11 Max 26
Monday Fine and warm. Partly cloudy. Min 13 Max 24
Tuesday Possible light shower. Min 13 Max 25
Wednesday Fine and mild. Partly cloudy. Min 12 Max 22
Thursday Fine and mild. Partly cloudy. Min 13 Max 23
Friday. Warm. Possible light shower. Min 14. Max 24
Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2011, 20:30   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by At sea View Post
Doin' it tough here...

ABM 7 day Forecast
Saturday: Fine and sunny. Light winds. Min 12 Max 24
Sunday: Fine and warm. Light winds. Min 11 Max 26
Monday Fine and warm. Partly cloudy. Min 13 Max 24
Tuesday Possible light shower. Min 13 Max 25
Wednesday Fine and mild. Partly cloudy. Min 12 Max 22
Thursday Fine and mild. Partly cloudy. Min 13 Max 23
Friday. Warm. Possible light shower. Min 14. Max 24
Just stay away from that ice down South.