Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-04-2022, 18:04   #1

Sodablasting reveals "the pits!"

Hoi all!
So I had my newish-to-me S2 9.2c (bought late last summer, and bottom paint was decrepit) soda blasted so I could hit this season with fresh everything down there. I figured I'd attack any blisters I found before hitting her with from scratch barrier + bottom paint.

On seeing the result, I see the hull is peppered with significant pitting of varrying size and depth. I'm wondering a few things:
- are these the aforementioned blisters that the soda blasting tore open? If not, what gives?
- what's the proper "prep" for painting?
- Do I need to grind these out/sand smooth etc or...
- Fill with fairing compound or will the new barrier coat do that?

Also, the bottom is pretty rough textures now. What FIRST step do you rec? Quick sand of the whole bottom to get is smooth or is rougher better for adhesion?

Thanks yall!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0427221155.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	429.5 KB
ID:	256773   Click image for larger version

Name:	0427221154.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	420.0 KB
ID:	256774  

Click image for larger version

Name:	0427221605.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	412.1 KB
ID:	256775  
DamoNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2022, 19:03   #2

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Sodablasting reveals "the pits!"

Looks to me like the gelcoat let go from the pressure of the blast. There is almost zero strength with gelcoat, just because it is not supported by fibers. It's not a big deal but still has to be addressed. If it were me, I would mix a little cabosil with epoxy to the consistency of cake frosting or lighter given the small size and use a small flexible plastic spatula, forcing the shmoo into the tiny craters. Not too heavy as you will want to sand D/A with 100 grit and not want to turn this into a sanding job.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2022, 19:06   #3

Doesn't look like blisters but that bottom coat is trash. I would thoroughly course sand the coating off back to good substrate to do it properly.
Ballsnall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2022, 06:18   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I agree with post # 2 !! Do that, and you will be fine. There are various epoxies on the market. Not sure where you are at, so check your local marine stores, ask them for advice which is the best for your purposes.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2022, 09:02   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
I agree with post # 2 !! Do that, and you will be fine. There are various epoxies on the market. Not sure where you are at, so check your local marine stores, ask them for advice which is the best for your purposes.

I would also add to check with a working boat repair yard, if the OP is in one already. Asking an actual repair person might be a good choice. While picking up the odd item at West Marine, I will see a floor person that gives advice by reading off the the product label.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 28-04-2022, 15:12   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I kinda havta agree with you there..some people that West Marine hires to run their stores seem to have dubious maritime qualities or experience...
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2022, 17:12   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
I kinda havta agree with you there..some people that West Marine hires to run their stores seem to have dubious maritime qualities or experience...

I suppose they couldn't make the cut at the Golden Arches...
Old 28-04-2022, 18:57   #8

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

If you have the cash, pay the marina. If not grab a belt sander and go to town. You’ll have to fill and fair, then barrier coat. $20k for the marina or $1k and a bitch of a self job. If you go the latter we can step you thru it.
Old 28-04-2022, 19:51   #9

Boat: Columbia 50

Get som system three quick fair. It’s the perfect consistency. Apply as if you were doing drywall, with a fairly flexible 10” drywall knife. You’re looking to to leave just a skim coat behind. Sand smooth, barrier coat the whole bottom, and bottom paint.

Yes, it’s some work, but certainly not impossible, and your bottom will be trouble free for many years to come.

Matt
mlydon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2022, 20:03   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
If you have the cash, pay the marina. If not grab a belt sander and go to town. You’ll have to fill and fair, then barrier coat. $20k for the marina or $1k and a bitch of a self job. If you go the latter we can step you thru it.

Tell me you didn't mean a Belt sander!
Old 28-04-2022, 20:57   #11

The original coating looks defective to me which could be why the soda blast has caused so much damage. Give it a scrap with a hard scraper or coarse sandpaper and if it is chauky it all needs to come off. If there is a problem with the hull coating this needs to be resolved first. If you can, have someone knowable look at it or post more details.
Ballsnall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2022, 22:13   #12

Boat: Volkscruiser

Celestial Sailor "Belt Sander" I had the same reaction as you. They are way too heavy for overhead work and then the gouging if you don't know what your doing!
I also had the same reaction when you said cabosil as a filler. That sands like a SOB if you don't flush fill it. There should be a better premixed epoxy filler that Sands easier. Preferably with a bit of colour so you can see the areas you missed sanding.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2022, 23:53   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
Celestial Sailor "Belt Sander" I had the same reaction as you. They are way too heavy for overhead work and then the gouging if you don't know what your doing!
I also had the same reaction when you said cabosil as a filler. That sands like a SOB if you don't flush fill it. There should be a better premixed epoxy filler that Sands easier. Preferably with a bit of colour so you can see the areas you missed sanding.
Cheers
I should have elaborated and said that I also use West Systems 407 with the Cabo-sil. Over the years I have learned to apply with a flexible squeegee, making sure not to over apply. Then use a 60 or 80 grit to finish. It goes pretty quick and if you're rolling on bottom paint, you never see it.
Old 29-04-2022, 01:02   #14

Boat: Volkscruiser

Celestial sailor I was going to say microballoons with epoxy resin. I like the premixed filler for amateurs, the constant consistency makes it easy to use.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2022, 04:29   #15

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Looks bad to my eye so yeah belt sander for fast take down. Soda blast will leave pits, so take it all down or fill and fair the whole hull? Properly used the sander can do the job and eliminate lots of fairing.