Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2011, 05:30   #1

Boat: Catalina 42
PVC Coating- 'Flexabar'

Has anyone used a product called Flexabar Buoy Coating? It is a coating that is marketed for PVC buoys that claims to bond with PVC, it is made by Flexdel Corporation. The rep for the product said it can be used to re coat PVC dorade vents, it applies easily, gives a very smooth finish, stay flexible and will not crack.

My Vetus PVC vents are starting to go sticky and I wonder if this product is worth trying to refinish the vents?

Thanks
a1sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2011, 06:21   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1sailor View Post
Has anyone used a product called Flexabar Buoy Coating?...
...My Vetus PVC vents are starting to go sticky and I wonder if this product is worth trying to refinish the vents?
I doubt that it'll work in your application.

From the website:
"Flexabar buoy coating, consisting of liquid vinyl plastic that will form a water tight covering on your buoy. Please ensure that you are applying this coating on only new unpainted PVC buoys..."

Here ➥ Flexabar Paint

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2011, 06:44   #3

We've had the same problem with our PVC dorades. We replaced the old ones with new from West Marine. When they in turn started having the same problem WM replaced them under warranty. Soon though they were showing the same problem, sticky to the touch and grungy looking. The problem, I think, is from all the pollutants in the air. I say this because the problem is at it's very worst when we are in a large metropolitan area. So far the Hampton Roads, VA area with it's multitude of civilian and military airports, coal fired power-plants and, of course, all the traffic has been the worst.

The best we've managed at this point is to simply clean them with Awesome Orange then coat them with some "303 protectant". So far the process has brought them back to life, and lasts for variable amounts of time.
Greg S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2011, 08:21   #4

Over the years, I've had good results with four cleaners:

Acetone (some claim that this will damage the plastic but I've not seen it). Obviously wear gloves.

Adhesive remover containing Xlyene

Magic Eraser

Island Girl
Seaglow?Cleansing Lotion & Conditioner

In all cases, I follow up with 303 Protectant. That seems to keep them from getting sticky again.

In some cases, they're too far gone. It's easiest to replace and then use 303 regularly.

Carl
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2011, 08:54   #5

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
Interlux 202 fiberglass solvent wash also works on vinyl -- but it does it by dissolving the surface layer. I use it on vinyl rub rails, on a soaked rag, and keep flipping the rag as needed. (Of course, wear neoprene gloves rated chemical resistant). Follow up with 303 after it dries. Coat with 303 at least every few weeks.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2011, 12:27   #6

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Don't know if it is still available, but Nicro-Fico used to sell a vinyl paint for recoating their dorades, etc, in a spray can. Worked well for us... still have a can that I bought over twenty years ago... doesn't take very much to spray a dorade!

Cheers,

Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II lying Towlers Bay, NSW, Oz
Old 15-01-2011, 12:45   #7

Awesome-Orange, Only $1.00 at the Dollar-Tree. Can't get much cheaper than that, and it works. (don't forget to rinse it off when you are done!)
Bulk LA's Totally Awesome Orange Cleaner, 22 oz. at DollarTree.com

Greg
Late Coffee…Early Cocktails
Greg S is offline   Reply With Quote