Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2023, 22:31   #1

Boat: Bristol Channel Cutter 28 ft
Propane Installation - Hose Run Questions in a Bristol Channel Cutter

Need to install an aluminum 10 gallon horizontal propane tank in my 28 foot fiberglass Bristol Channel Cutter - the tank would live in my starboard mounted deck box which sits next to my mast. I need to fuel two appliances - 1) a P9000 Dickinson Marine Newport Heater which would be mounted on the starboard shelf at the foot of my bunk. Above this shelf there is 1" flue extending downward into cabin and there is a deck vent on deck currently. 2) Need to install a Force 10 (2 burner) European Compact Stove in my galley on the port side aft near my companionway. Need advice from either a BCC owner who has done it and knows the hose runs and or ask anyone if they run the two propane lines down the mast? or ? I am trying to drill as few holes as possible on decks.
Any input would be helpful. Armand
KelseaBCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2023, 09:38   #2

Boat: Nor'sea 27, BCC 28
Re: Propane Installation - Hose Run Questions in a Bristol Channel Cutter

Hi Armand! I have BCC 28 #110 Northern Light.
I want to put a heater in the boat also. I put in a calorifier (radiator) on the engine. That helps heat when the engine is running. My port horizontal propane tank feeds a 2 burner stove on the port side. I have the starboard tank as a spare.
I was thinking of running a separate regulator and line from the bottom of the starboard propane locker to a heater on the bulkhead in the forward sleeping V bearth. But other propane users cautioned me that my small 3 gallon horizontal tank may last only 3-5 days of use in really cold weather. ( I sail Lake Huron, and Lake Superior). There are RV catalytic heaters that need no exhaust. But not rated for marine use. I was cautioned that using the same propane line as the stove, and installing a T fitting to take propane to the heater is not recommended by AYBC standards.
So currently I use the stove burner, heat up a large thermos of tea, coffee, or soup and use a large down sleeping bag at night for warmth. Of course at dockside I use a small electric ceramic heater.
I have considered a solid fuel heater, but they require a 3 inch stovepipe to a Charlie noble.
Sorry but I haven’t figured anything else out for colder weather. I have given thoughts to the large Mr. Heater units that use the quart bottles of propane. But realize the risks involved.
If you come up with any better answers, I would appreciate it if you would share them with me.
Thank you Sir! Michael Langley
Zugbug99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2023, 09:46   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Michael, do you have diesel on board? We fitted a Webasto air heater a decade ago and its brilliant at both heating the boat and drying it out if we and the dog have been out in the rain. Now a days there are Chinese copies at a fraction of the price which seem to work very well.

Pete
Pete7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2023, 09:56   #4

Boat: Nor'sea 27, BCC 28

Thanks Pete! I forgot to mention the Webasto heater. The cost (+2500$) scared me away. I didn’t know about the Chinese copies.
A gentleman on the board is selling a Taylor’s Brittania Diesel heater. Really a work of art with a separate pressurized tank.
But my sailing funds are a bit limited now. They are a bit pricey.
Thank you for the information!
Zugbug99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2023, 10:52   #5

An unvented heater is dangerous on a boat, and will add a huge amount of water to the cabin. You be living in a swamp. And your friends are 100% right about the amount of time a propane tank lasts when used as a cabin heat source.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2023, 12:00   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

True, but there are propane heaters which exhaust outside.

https://propexheatsource.co.uk/heaters/hs2000/

However, I think a Chinese diesel heater is the better way to go.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Triclicks-D...s%2C108&sr=8-3

There are a whole series of reviews on YT which would be worth watching.

Pete7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 09:11   #7

Boat: Bristol Channel Cutter 28' (2 of them)

We've got 2 BCCs with horizontal tanks that we house next to the mast (2 of them, one on each side). The regulator and pigtail stays in one place and we switch the tanks physically from one side to the other. Only one hole through the deck.

If you're not on the Sam L Morse Forum (https://forum.samlmorse.com) I highly encourage you to join up over there. It's a treasure of information on these boats with questions asked and answered from the 1990s. It's great to have a spot to ask other owners about our boats.
BCCLover is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cutter, installation, propane