Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2020, 12:33   #16

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch
Re: Power cord - how to clean

Thanks all for the suggestions. I tried soaking it for a couple hours in a light bleach solution. Not like new, but much better. I'll definitely do the 303 if I ever get a new cord.
Calypso52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2020, 13:53   #17

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
For the yellow cords it was either Lacquer thinner or Acetone. Unfortunately I cant remember which makes it sticky and which doesnt! Guessing the Lacquer thinner was the good one. The same solvent works on fenders.
I'm no chemist, but I know acetone will eat many plastics and make them gummy and sticky. I know power cords and fenders are on that list.

I've had good luck with MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone), although it's getting harder to find. Very powerful solvent but it doesn't seem to make things gummy. All kinds of warnings on the label, so you know it's "the good stuff." Probably wise to follow up with 303, Armor-all or some other protectant.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2020, 15:34   #18
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
I'm no chemist, but I know acetone will eat many plastics and make them gummy and sticky. I know power cords and fenders are on that list.

I've had good luck with MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone), although it's getting harder to find. Very powerful solvent but it doesn't seem to make things gummy. All kinds of warnings on the label, so you know it's "the good stuff." Probably wise to follow up with 303, Armor-all or some other protectant.

In fact both acetone and it's close cousin MEK are both rated poor with PVC.

The problem with solvents that can dissolve vinyl is that they pull more plasticizer to the surface. They can also trap contaminants in the surface.
Old 28-06-2020, 16:10   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Acetone removes the plasticizers and makes them sticky. I never tried lacquer thinner.

Any vinyl cleaner should work and not harm the cord.
OK, it's lacquer thinner then that works well. Amazing how little work it is too.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote