Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2016, 16:30   #16

Re: Online source for small piece(s) of teak for instrument mounting?

I've done this a couple times with minimal instrument, something to think about:
-Pivoting or swinging the units out takes very pliable wiring.
-You will need a big loop in the wire to do this.
-too big a "harness" of wire will be stiff and may not work well even with the big loop..
-When you swing it back in, the loop interferes with the panel as it's stiff and behind it.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 16:30   #17

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
But a warning regarding acrylic; It cuts leaving a very rough edge. If you want the edge to look good, a lot of sanding will be required, also, it fills the sandpaper very quickly.
Slow the sanding speed down and use course paper. Wet and dry if you want to be a perfectionist. If it doesn't soften it won't clog the disk. We'd only be talking 1/8" thickness here. I usually use a random orbital for that sort of job or a belt sander for the thicker stuff.

A tungsten carbide circular saw doesn't do a bad job for straight lines if properly set, either.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 16:47   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
Slow the sanding speed down and use course paper. Wet and dry if you want to be a perfectionist. If it doesn't soften it won't clog the disk. We'd only be talking 1/8" thickness here. I usually use a random orbital for that sort of job or a belt sander for the thicker stuff.

A tungsten carbide circular saw doesn't do a bad job for straight lines if properly set, either.
Only 1/8" for mounting those instruments? Well, if that's the case then yeah, sanding would be a lot easier. I was thinking at least 3/8".

Old 12-02-2016, 16:54   #19

Boat: Gulf 32

We were discussing the acrylic as a back to the whole mount, so nothing mounted into the acrylic just using it as a cover, in theory the "stuff" would be mounted in a block of teak.

-- Bass

Quote:
Only 1/8" for mounting those instruments? Well, if that's the case then yeah, sanding would be a lot easier. I was thinking at least 3/8".
basssears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 16:55   #20

Quote:
The idea of the acrylic is to protect the back of the instruments with an easily removable panel. That's what I am referring to. Although acrylic does make a very nice instrument face too which would indeed need to be little thicker for the application discussed.

Edit: ^^ What he said, lol.
Old 12-02-2016, 16:56   #21

Boat: Gulf 32

Thanks, some things to consider for sure.

I realize it doesn't sound like an ideal solution, but my other options are:
1) Double gauges everywhere, one for indoor steering station and one for out (not cheap, more effort of wiring everything up, although there are some items that are already in place at indoor steering like water temp gauge).
2) Single gauges indoor and then repeat using NMEA over WiFi onto tablet outdoors (might eventually repeat anyway, but not a robust primary solution, prone to failure at inopportune moments).

Quote:
I've done this a couple times with minimal instrument, something to think about:
-Pivoting or swinging the units out takes very pliable wiring.
-You will need a big loop in the wire to do this.
-too big a "harness" of wire will be stiff and may not work well even with the big loop..
-When you swing it back in, the loop interferes with the panel as it's stiff and behind it.
basssears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 17:00   #22

If the wires have a hanging loop with offset, all should be fine. The thing to avoid is having some wires flex or strain more than others in the bundle. Take a look at how they run all those wires into your car door these days for inspiration.
Old 13-02-2016, 07:28   #23

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

Local here in Marathon does mail order and walk in. Prices seemed reasonable to me. Buck's www.buckwoodcraft.com
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2016, 07:47   #24

Teak is hard to work with. Suggest using a soft wood with a teak veneer overlay. Should be able to find teak surfacing at the big box stores. A 1/8 thick piece should work quite well. Or just take one of the doors off a teak veneer cupboard.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2016, 07:53   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

We have Johnson's Workbench in Michigan. Hardwood Lumber, Solid Wood Countertops, Marine and Veneer Plywood Go to lumber and look up decking. Also, locally many hardwood specialty shops. Why Teak? I would use also any other durable tropical hardwood. Consider Ipe sold as flooring and available here in planks. I happen to have teak scraps through a contact at Four-Wins and I have a pile of Jarah, also a great all-weather wood. I am using the Jarah for a new instrument panel at the binnacle. Both Ipe and Jarah are much stronger than teak and have better weathering capability. The Jarah made great toe rail & splash rail in heavy sections. Oiled once three years ago and its still brown.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2016, 08:40   #26

Boat: 1989 Niagara 35

Try buck woodcraft in marathon Florida.
Teak Molding & Accessories :: Teak Drawer Pulls & Handles -
rhall228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2016, 09:13   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by basssears View Post
I'll look into that... I will have a little time with this as I plan to build it at home where I have some space and some better tools (and some more time than my very limited time on the boat).

Can you cut acrylic sheet with a fine tooth blade in a jigsaw?
Best cutting is with a band saw with a very fine toothed blade.
A Harbor Freight bench model with a good blade works fine.
Like most mechanical skills the more practice you get the better the outcome. A fine cut file is best for smoothing the tooth marks that are left.
You may want to route out the back of the board to get it thin enough for some of the available gauge models.
oleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2016, 09:39   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
Teak is hard to work with. Suggest using a soft wood with a teak veneer overlay. Should be able to find teak surfacing at the big box stores. A 1/8 thick piece should work quite well. Or just take one of the doors off a teak veneer cupboard.
This is not my experience. I've done a lot of boatbuilding. Teak to me is very easy to work with;
-it creates almost no dust as it's oily,
-it's the easiest sanding wood out there, just smooths out super fast,
-it wont crack.
-if finishing it, no fillers required.. nice tight grain.
just sayin'...

Old 13-02-2016, 09:41   #29

OP: If you feel you need to cover the back of the panel, one option is just a custom Sunbrella type cover, with snaps or just Velcro. One advantage is you can remove it in seconds.

Old 13-02-2016, 10:01   #30

Quote:
But a warning regarding acrylic; It cuts leaving a very rough edge. If you want the edge to look good, a lot of sanding will be required, also, it fills the sandpaper very quickly.
I've found that wet or dry paper is very good for acrylic edges
bustermaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, rum, teak