Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2008, 19:44   #301
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA_sailing View Post
Ronnie for President?
At least Ambassador to Wan Chai...

We have really blurred the line between "news", "opinion" and "endorsing opinion."

"An SUV crashed on the freeway. It flipped over, 3 people are dead and two are injured and have been taken to hospital." - That's news.

"SUVs are dangerous and should be outlawed" - is opinion

"In response to an SUV crash on the freeway last night General Motors stated that SUVs are safe." - Is an endorsement of an opinion. It is not news that General Motors would say SUVs are safe.

"The consumer safety foundation has stated that SUVs are dangerous" - Is an endoresement of an opinion.

"In response to an SUV crash on the freeway last night General Motors stated that SUVs are safe. Meanwhile, the consumer safety foundation has stated that SUVs are dangerous." - Is balanced reporting of opinion.

We all tend to seek out opinion which reinforces our outlook of the world. I believe that the internet has made it possible for people to publish extremely cheaply and that access to opinion is easier than ever before.

The good news is that with limited outlets - tradiitonal newspaper, television and magazine, it was easy to influence what got published. Now everything that crosses anyone's mind can be published.

That which gains following becomes credible. However, it is still opinion and not news.

I just wish we could all agree that there are major news outlets that are not unbiased in their reporting opinion and news. They report that which their constituents favor. This raises ratings and increases revenue. To not admit that is completely wearing the blinders.

- Well that's my opinion, anyway
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2008, 20:57   #302
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post

That which gains following becomes credible. However, it is still opinion and not news.
You nailed it Dan……!

I simply observe, I rarely believe and when I do it is with the qualification that I am not 100% sure of my observations.

I think …… now that the internet has inundated us with “cheap reporting” its true value can now be recognized, whereas before the elite media gave undeserved weight to one persons opinion.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2008, 01:56   #303
Kai Nui

They say believe only half of what you see, and none of what you hear. I tend to believe half of what I say, and what I do is unbelievable.
Doesn't really have anything to do with the original topic, but that dosn't seem to be an issue.
Old 30-10-2008, 02:59   #304

Boat: 36' Magellan "Steady Beat"
To Ronnie Simpson and all CF Members,

It was never my intention to pick a fight on this thread. I realize that I put my points across rather bluntly, and should have delivered these in a more conservative manner, as others have done to date.

BWS
BlueWaterSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2008, 03:45   #305
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Nui View Post
They say believe only half of what you see, and none of what you hear...
Arm the Homeless Coalition:
Over the years, various newspapers* have run stories announcing the formation of a new charity to benefit the homeless. Instead of providing the homeless with food and shelter, this charity would provide them with guns and ammunition. It was named 'The Arm the Homeless Coalition.'
The story has received coverage from 60 Minutes II, the Associated Press, and numerous local radio stations.

* For instance: Disarm the Clueless - News - Phoenix New Timespage 1 - Phoenix New Times

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2008, 05:38   #306
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Arm the Homeless Coalition:
Over the years, various newspapers* have run stories announcing the formation of a new charity to benefit the homeless. Instead of providing the homeless with food and shelter, this charity would provide them with guns and ammunition. It was named 'The Arm the Homeless Coalition.'
The story has received coverage from 60 Minutes II, the Associated Press, and numerous local radio stations.

* For instance: Disarm the Clueless - News - Phoenix New Timespage 1 - Phoenix New Times
In every news organization I've been in, there are all-staff memos/emails that go out to warn against planted stories and hoaxes on April 1. It happens.
Old 30-10-2008, 08:20   #307

"News" reporting all went to hell in a handbasket when the TV news divisions were split off and required to post a profit. For years they were simply there to provide the news as an arm of each network and as such were 'free' to report the news. Now they must make a profit and as such everything and I mean everything that you now see on TV, on the internet (especially) and in print, must be taken with an ever larger dose of salt. Too many folks make a very good living from manipulation of the 'news' for whatever purpose suits them.
The greatest shame in all this is that honest journalists get lumped with the less than honest and all news becomes suspect. so we end up believing nothing that contradicts our own beliefs and hang on to any thread that supports our ideas no matter how flimsy the thread. Truth is the big loser. Who's truth?? Who do you end up believing is telling the truth? These days nobody wants to admit they were wrong. I've even heard it described as a sign of weakness!

This little piece may explain: scottberkun.com » #40 - Why smart people defend bad ideas

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2008, 12:19   #308

Boat: 38' Homebuilt Cutter - "Atticus"
Is it just me or is it time to lock this thread and move on?
Colorado Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2008, 16:47   #309
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Dreamer View Post
Is it just me or is it time to lock this thread and move on?
The mods have discussed it and as long as no rules violations are going on we'll let it wander around a bit longer.

But it is clearly past its "use by" date...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2008, 19:04   #310

Boat: 32' CC Oday
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronniesimpson View Post
the sailor from New Orleans hit the nail on the head, as far as my situation is concerned. I made a monumental mistake by being lulled into a false sense of security in San Diego. Being that the entirety of my brief sailing career had been in San Diego, I experienced no bad weather and never got a good chance to test myself or my boat. I will definitely go about things in a very different way on my next boat.

as far as my financial situation is concerned, i had pretty much everything wrapped up in that boat. probably another error. I only have a couple grand ($ US) left, but there is a potential deal on the table where I would get enough money in advance royalties from a publishing company to put together what I feel could be a very nice boat, capable of taking me to distant lands.

Ronnie, Ive quietly followed your story and as I have seen it, youve stirred many different emotions; outrage, disgust, sympathy, envy, and worry, just to mention a few. Its been fast and furious with you guy, but I do see the wealth of potential in you, that is if you survive!

Good luck, keep your chin up and I hope to see greater things for you. Youre doing something that many of us wished we had taken the chance to do before we got so damn smart.
BassAckwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2008, 06:55   #311
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassAckwards View Post
Ronnie, Ive quietly followed your story and as I have seen it, youve stirred many different emotions; outrage, disgust, sympathy, envy, and worry, just to mention a few. Its been fast and furious with you guy, but I do see the wealth of potential in you, that is if you survive!

Good luck, keep your chin up and I hope to see greater things for you. Youre doing something that many of us wished we had taken the chance to do before we got so damn smart.
This last sentence is near PERFECTION!!!!!!
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2008, 12:36   #312
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassAckwards View Post
... You're doing something that many of us wished we had taken the chance to do before we got so damn smart.
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
This last sentence is near PERFECTION!!!!!!
I2f may have missed the tense of the second significant verb.

I too, started out with dreams, that a dose of reality (or acquisition of some “smarts”) turned into unfulfilled desires.

No worry. That’s the thing about dreams - like any other want, they’re virtually inexhaustible; and there’s always another one to take the last one’s place.

Do I feel unfulfilled, because I’ve left many of my early dreams on the cutting room floor? Not hardly! I still have realistically achievable dreams/goals to attain, as well as a few unrealistic pipe-dreams.

Don’t be afraid to leave your childish (uninformed) dreams behind you, and move on towards realistically achievable goals.

With a little learning and experience, some of those earlier “pipe-dreams” may actually become achievable.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2008, 12:59   #313
Eternal Member

I don't know what you are trying to express Gord? What I read was that many wait, and wait. Try to have enough $ to never return. Get caught up with family, debts, and being responsible in general.

We think we are being smart by accummulating the means to go, but many never do go, and when some do their health is not what it use to be. Then there are others who need this for the boat, or that, or this dinghy won't do, and the list goes on until you will never have the boat done.

Ronnie cut to the chase, and just went. Unfortunately he bit off more than he could chew. He took the chance, and paid the price, but he hasn't stopped yet. I was complimenting bassackwards on complimenting Ronnie.

Gord,

Give it to me straight! What the heck did you say?
Old 31-10-2008, 13:38   #314

One of the things he said is the grammar of the sentence was a tiny touch off - wished instead of wish (indicating at 16 we were wishing that we'd gone, but not necessarily indicating we still were wishing that today.)

I2F: I'm sure at your age you have seen a lot of people bite off more than they can chew. I know I have, and a lot of those greedy bites resulted in death. Especially among young people who are still developing their judgement skills.

Personally I'm impressed with Ronnie's recovery, less so with his first initiative but I don't know if I'd have done differently. Except the publicity thing; I was paranoidly shy at that age, but I certainly jumped off my share of cliffs and burnt my share of bridges. And I have spent a lot of effort with my kids regarding their actual abilities - I want them to be absolutely confident where they have skills, but able to judge where they do not and be able to say so. Just as the only stupid question is the one which isn't asked, the only cowardly act is to be afraid to say the truth about yourself.

And Ronnie? you're younger than some of my kids. I respect your accomplishments to date, and you're in the area I served in when I was in the mil. Keep your wallet in your front pocket or attached to your belt, and don't drink after sundown. Being ashore and alone there is worse than being at sea, so find people you can truly trust.

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2008, 13:45   #315
Eternal Member

I think wished is the past tense, and that is how BA meant it? I wasn't trying to correct any one's grammar. Mine suffers enough!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!