Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2018, 01:50   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
O-Ring Question

The later version of the Brunton Autoprop is greased by removing two screws in each blade boss, and pumping waterproof grease through one until clean grease comes out the other one.

These screws have tiny o-rings on them which get squashed and squeezed out if you tighten the screws down properly.

I just don't like this. I have lost screws out of this prop before and I don't want to leave them slack enough to baby the o-rings. What if I were to use fibrous washers instead? Or some gasket compound?

Anyone have any tips?
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2018, 05:25   #2

Boat: Oyster 66
Re: O-Ring Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
The later version of the Brunton Autoprop is greased by removing two screws in each blade boss, and pumping waterproof grease through one until clean grease comes out the other one.

These screws have tiny o-rings on them which get squashed and squeezed out if you tighten the screws down properly.

I just don't like this. I have lost screws out of this prop before and I don't want to leave them slack enough to baby the o-rings. What if I were to use fibrous washers instead? Or some gasket compound?

Anyone have any tips?
A dowty washer is made for that job. I've no idea if they make them that small though. Alternatively use threadlocker, or fibre washer or nothing at all. I can't see much grease getting out of a tightened down fitting anyway compared to what is going to get out of the gaps in the prop mechanism.
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2018, 06:16   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post

Anyone have any tips?
Dockhead,

Are you using the pan head m5 socket head screws and o-rings that come from Burton? If correctly sized, there is no way you would able to extrude the o-ring out from under the screw, no matter how tight. The o-ring should fit in a recess, and be correctly compressed as the screw bottoms out.

If you have to leave the screw loose to avoid extruding the o-ring something is very wrong.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2018, 06:25   #4

O-rings arent made to seal between 2 flat surfaces w/o one of the surface having a groove to seat the o-ring in. As you noticed, when the screw is tightened down, the o-ring has no where to go but out. Its not held captive in a groove.

edited... just noticed billknny beat me too it
US1Fountain is offline   Reply With Quote