Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2023, 09:57   #106

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: Not doing bottom paint. What can go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-None View Post
For underwater scraping could you drop a line under and around, tightly and hold yourself while scraping?
Yes. I’ll try that out for sure. That’s one of the ideas. I’ll have to do underwater work to get those barnacle bases off. I just did my rudders from above using a 6” Sheetrock taping knife lashed to a stout (roller furler) aluminum pole.

Went very quickly because you could get a great stroke length in. In fact the stroke length was the entire 36” length of the rudder. You could force it onto the rudders very hard from a steep angle to the surface of the rudder and rip everything off in just a few strokes.

I think I’ll rig something else up like that to reach the part I can’t get at the keel (not an actual keel, just the name of the lowest part of the hull). Maybe a strong float on one side of the hull and a thin metal wire running across to the other side. Pull very hard on the thin metal wire and drag fore/aft.

Pretty sure this could start to become very easy compared to dealing with marinas if I don’t have to get into cold water. I can do perfectionist scotchbrite work on it when I feel like going for a swim on hot days.

Productivity increase of like 400% now that I’m out of the heat. Thank GOD I’m out of Florida
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 14:39   #107
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

It’s a nice 36 Celsius here in Florida today

I want to wash our motorhome but not doing that in this heat

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 14:43   #108

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-None View Post
For underwater scraping could you drop a line under and around, tightly and hold yourself while scraping?
Underwater a simple rubber plunger works great to keep you steady.
Above water suction cups work great (they don't work under water).
Old 08-08-2023, 14:53   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
It’s a nice 36 Celsius here in Florida today

I want to wash our motorhome but not doing that in this heat
Uh oh. You are experiencing that same productivity decline that I used to get down there. Ha ha. Well, enjoy some air conditioning and maybe a swim
Old 14-08-2023, 02:00   #110

It’s 5AM and I was woken up twice and again half an hour ago.

Something is eating the growth off my boat again in the Atlantic too!! Love when they help out.

This one sounds different though. It’s not the same fish.

I wonder if I get so much help because my bottom paint is absolutely dead and not toxic anymore?

This one is really shy. If I move and make noise, it goes away.

I wonder what animal it is.

Unfortunately it sounds like it’s grazing on the algae only though. It’s not making a hard scraping sound like those Florida fresh water fish did. More of the sound of a very fast moving tongue.
Old 14-08-2023, 04:46   #111
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jay Kantola - Trimaran 65 ft by 40 ft beam

Just look forward to the day when you wake up and it sounds like fifty pounds of fish just smashed into the topsides. When I finally got up to investigate I learned it wasn't fish but a school of squid must have been chased from the water.

Left a big ink stain. I learned to not bother to try and clean it off and the sun eventually got rid of it.

The other night noise I got used to is popping shrimp. They got into my rudder housing in my engine room. I first thought there was something wrong with the engine.
pbmaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2023, 06:11   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
Just look forward to the day when you wake up and it sounds like fifty pounds of fish just smashed into the topsides. When I finally got up to investigate I learned it wasn't fish but a school of squid must have been chased from the water.

Left a big ink stain. I learned to not bother to try and clean it off and the sun eventually got rid of it.

The other night noise I got used to is popping shrimp. They got into my rudder housing in my engine room. I first thought there was something wrong with the engine.
Ha! That squid story is incredible. I have never heard of that happening. What a mess that must’ve been

I’ll never forget that first pistol shrimp experience. I had just bought a boat in Florida like 15 years ago or something? 20? Time is flying by. So naturally I wake up and the hull is cracking and falling apart. Ha ha. So many interesting creatures making so much noise below the boat.

I welcome these ones that eat the growth on the bottom of the boat however. Love them. I wish the ocean was filled with them.
Old 14-08-2023, 17:42   #113

I just caught the rascal tonight! It wasn’t a fish at all. Not this time. The ones in Florida were fish.

There is a bird going around the edges of my waterline eating whatever it is off of there. Go avian helper go!

Tags
bottom paint, paint