Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2008, 16:43   #1

Boat: Pearson 365 Ketch- INTERIM
need help with mast wiring

I am trying to replace two wires in the main mast of my pearson 365, the coax and wind indicator wire. I an using the old wires to pull the new ones down through the mast.
the problem is I found the old wiring in the mast is twisted into a knot and will not pass thru the 1" hole near the base. To complicate things more there is only 2" between the mast and a bulkhead at the hole. Did I say I'm trying not to pull the mast.
Is it posible to safely drill or cut a circular or oblong access hole in the opposite side of the mast? If so, how big ? If not ,any other ideas ?
Thanks
Roy
Roy I. Olsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2008, 17:37   #2

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
I'm replacing wires now in a Catana 431 cat, fortunately, the mast is horizontal. If you are having problems, remove the wires entirely, pulling a 500# test nylon line after them. Hook your new wires up to this leader, tape them together every 18" to keep them straight and not twisting. Then go to Home Depot and get a squeeze bottle of wire lubricant, squirt it generously on every inch of the cables as they enter the mast conduit (they are entering a conduit, correct?). Have someone at the masthead pulling the leader, another person feeding freshly lubed cables into the mast base. Be patient, communicate effectively, pull the wire bundle back when there is a problem, then feed again. Have several beers afterward to lubricate your soul for doing good work. The difficulty will be soldering the Coax connector up at the mast head, afterward. Still, it's easier than trying to snake the cables down the mast from up there.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2008, 22:27   #3

How much bigger is the knot than the hole?Is it possible to enlarge the hole with a round file/rasp?
Anyway you say you are replacing the wires so it is ok to butcher the knot as long as you can fish out the following wire?
If you want more ideas you need to clarify the situation,but asuming you are working on a keel stepped mast,it is ok to drill a hole on the opposite side .But try to keep at least three inches away from the butt.
nonam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2008, 23:04   #4

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer
If you do not have an access hole at the base of your mast now may be the time to consider making one.
Old 26-10-2008, 04:11   #5

Boat: Liberty 28 Custom Cutter - "Native Dancer" For Sale
I've considered using a plumbers-snake to push/pull wires in the mast.
Liberty28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2008, 08:35   #6

I think you'll discover it's easier to feed the plumber's (steel) or electrician's (fiberglass) snakes DOWN from the masthead than UP from the base. It has to do with kinking and friction working against you. Then, substitute the 500# test parachute cord to do the active pulling of cables. You can tie in a piece of rag or sponge, soaked in the lubricant jelly, to clean and prep the conduit prior to actually hauling up the cable bundle. Just do the pre-lube in stages to make sure the entire conduit is clean and slippery. It all washes off with water, so there's no problem afterward.
Old 26-10-2008, 08:49   #7

Boat: Pearson 365 Ketch- INTERIM
I guess I was a little light on the description of the problem. The wires in question are not only wrapped around each other, but most of the other wires in the mast making the knot to large to pull thru the 1" hole and the other wires are attached at the other end,(ie lights). There is only 1 1/2" to 2" between the hole and a bulkhead making expanding the hole impossible. The wires exit the mast aprox. 1 ft above the Step.
And ideas how large of an access hole I can safely make?
Thanks to all.
Roy
Roy I. Olsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2008, 11:17   #8

ARE THE WIRES CONTAINED IN A CONDUIT, INSIDE THE MAST?
Old 26-10-2008, 11:33   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
I think you would agree Roy, that you're caught between a rock and a hard place. Bite the bullet, hoist the mast, and work on it horizontally. The price of derigging the mast is probably a tenth of replacing it.
sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2008, 13:01   #10

You can probably put a slot as long as a halyard exit and twice as wide there.After that you could put a tag line on the coax and push as much as possible back into the mast at the top.Thump the mast a bit on the way down and see if you can get any slack at the bottom.If you cant it may mean the wires are twisted together in the conduit.You may have to reinstal them all.The spreader/steaming wires could be a problem.Check out the conduit access there.Dishwash detergent is a good lubricant.
nonam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2008, 13:59   #11
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
I replaced my mast wiring in June. It took less than an hour, but the mast was horizontal. Aren't tabernacles Great??
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2008, 14:00   #12
DWT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy I. Olsen View Post
I am trying to replace two wires in the main mast of my pearson 365, the coax and wind indicator wire. I an using the old wires to pull the new ones down through the mast.
the problem is I found the old wiring in the mast is twisted into a knot and will not pass thru the 1" hole near the base. To complicate things more there is only 2" between the mast and a bulkhead at the hole. Did I say I'm trying not to pull the mast.
Is it posible to safely drill or cut a circular or oblong access hole in the opposite side of the mast? If so, how big ? If not ,any other ideas ?
Thanks
Roy

Roy,

I cut a 1 1/2" hole in the bottom of my mast for pulling wires. That was 5 years ago and there is no problem that I see in making it even bigger.

I do remember it was really LOUD...... use ear plugs!
DWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2008, 16:19   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
or replace ALL the wires in the bundle by pulling them all out
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2008, 17:15   #14

gettinthere and sandy daugherty: BRAVO!!! Best answer yet! As someone, who I admire greatly, said: "You can't fix the sore tooth of a tiger with a dime store pen knife". JUST DO IT.

Tags
mast