Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2007, 17:10   #16

Congrats, K,

You mentioned the west coast: where exactly is it, er, "lying"?
Old 24-03-2007, 17:52   #17

Er...Jeff!!

That's for me to know. And for you to find out!!

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2007, 18:18   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
There is no curse worse than a free boat.

I can't help but whish you the best of luck though. Stop by when you get in the neighborhood.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2007, 18:54   #19

I'll do that Pblais. Providing that I sail into Atlantic waters?

I will mostly be in the Pacific. Since I never sailed in those waters before. And I am not counting my deep sea fishing trip when I was 10 years old, off California coast either.

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
Old 24-03-2007, 22:32   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
So can you keep the hull where it is while you work on it?? Is there a charge for storage??

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2007, 01:01   #21

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
And I do not really think that I should take this project on. Honestly thinking?!!

Ok Capt. K...Glad you are trying to look at this realisticly. Let me throw my 2 cents in here. I have built 2 steel boats from scratch. Very hard, very difficult. One was 29' and the other a Roberts 34. The 34 took 3 years of my life, at 20 hours a week before I traded it off for a F/G boat. I had not finished it. I was told and I believe it to be true. That an empty Hull, Deck and cabin is only 10% of the project in both work and cost. A boat your size could take 10 more years and $100,000 to complete. This is why you see so many abandoned hull, deck and cabins. Now, I buy slightly run down vessels and update them. It might take me 6 months and under $20,000 if I am thrifty. The boat is always in the water and i can sail it.
Just a thought...If you like long term projects, go for it. If you have the dream of sailing away on a boat, maybe rethink your idea.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2007, 12:40   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Quote:
Deck and cabin is only 10%
Yeah you are about spot on. 10-15% is the ruff rule of thumb.
I also have another rule of thumb. This is buildign yourself mind you. The cheapest you can build a boat (compleated) is about NZ$2K per ft of length. Then depending on what "quality" you want, you can double that.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2007, 14:41   #23
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin

Well if we're talkin' "rules of thumb" you can figure $4 to $6 per pound. So if a 47' feralite ends up at hmmm? 30,000 lbs it could range from $120,000 to $180,000 depending on the level of fit and finish.
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 16:15   #24

Boat: Samson C Ranger - "Tin Cup" & Samson C-Farer - "Sam McGee"
Good luck with your project, it is a "character building" experience. We are nearing completion of our keel up rebuild of our 48' Fer-A-Lite ketch.

Two years and counting after the targeted relaunch date. I feel we could have built her new faster than what we have spent rebuilding. In our case, she was build extremely well originally, major demolition to take apart to repair the minor damage.
smallyachts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 02:51   #25

Thank you, smallyachts!!

And welcome to cruisersforum.

Yes. This sailboat hull. Was made out of Fer-a-lite and wire mesh. Just like what your company deals with.

Yeah! This project will be quite an undertaking. And I am still considering other options as well.

Thanks for your response!!

Old 09-08-2010, 10:09   #26

Yours is an old blog, but perhaps you continued on your project.

I re-built a 45' x 16' beam old Chesakeake gaff-rigged ketch from ferrolite. Great boat, great project - it will last until the next Noah's flood.

Any questions write me I'll send pictures of the Jubilee (see Joel vanSant) Last I heard it's still sailing the Keys.

ardenlester00@yahoo.com
ardenlester00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:27   #27

Hello (I'll try again - last post disappeared) I've re-built a 1946 51' x 16' Chesakeake Bay gaff-rigged ketch that had neglected and abandoned (on stilts) for years. The Jubilee (built by Joel vanSant as his personal boat the month the war ended by his team)

Ferrolite is a total fiberglass product made from a fiberglass "salt", fiberglass "chop" and, back then, asbestos. Per pound in a bag is was 95% "salt", 3% chop, 2% asbestos fibers (guess on %s)

Each bad is mixed with one gallon polyester resin (low to no "wax") This is trowled into a re-bar/hardware cloth/chicken-wire matrix covering the whole hull and deck. Over this matrix I trowled in 300 gallons of that mixture (6 - 50 gallon barrels of it) - one gallon at a time, Unlike ferro-cement it could be applied in small sections (resin binds with dried resin) ferro-cement usually is put on all at once - or using special epoxy to bind old seams)

The project took me a year 'til it hit the water, then a year finalizing it. In spite of all the new weight it floated almost a foot higher in the water because the wood wasn't soaked anymore and the ferrolite is boyant.
Over the ferrolite I put a couple layers of cloth and finished off the hull with lots of sanding.

That hull will be around when Noah's flood comes again. Essentially it is a wood hull (white oak ribs and cedar planking) floating in a new fiberglass hull. If anyone wants a pic series of the Jubilee, send request to ardenlester00@yahoo.com. If it can be posted here let me know how - about a dozen pics.

If anyone knows the present whereabouts of the Jubilee, pls let me know. She sailed in 2 1/2 foot of water, plying the intercoastal and St. John's river for years - and was a near perfect home. Powered by sail and a 60 hp diesel Perkins. But, always sailed!

Dennis
Old 09-08-2010, 13:07   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardenlester00 View Post
... If anyone wants a pic series of the Jubilee, send request to ardenlester00@yahoo.com. If it can be posted here let me know how - about a dozen pics...
I'm certain nobody will object to you're posting photos. I'd be interested in seeing them.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 16:09   #29

I'm new here, so forgive my "fantasies?". I read lots of why that ferrolite boat sailing is too expensive or should not be attempted. Have you ever seen the replicas of the Nina, Pinta or Santa Marie? I did last winter (2 of them) I would have qualms about sailing them across Lake Okeechoobee in Florida.

The hull will sail with just some bedsheets on broom handles. The point is this: "how far do you want to go to be 100%, 100% comfortable, and 100% sure you'll get to your destination. The rest is just decisions.

When I restored the Jubilee I didn't find out until I was 1/2 through that I had picked an "impossible project' (by those who knew these things)

That was 35+ years ago. I hear she's still sailing. She was built for the Chesapeake Bay - I stuck to the inland waters. If I just hoped to make it 1/2 to Hawaian Islands, I just go with the sheets and broomsticks. It'll sail!!!

Dawg
Old 09-08-2010, 16:18   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardenlester00 View Post
Yours is an old blog, but perhaps you continued on your project...
I don't believe that Kevin (CatainK) has continued with his project. In any case, he hasn't visited the CF since 2007.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote