Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2019, 12:25   #16

Boat: Columbia 36
Re: Missing HIN - Hull Identification Number

Quote:
Originally Posted by glcalahan View Post
I spent 18 months and exhausted every conceivable way I could think to find a hull # on a 1972 Pearson 33. One day it dawned on me that those early boats typically had a hull number on the main and headsail. I was lucky and contacted the PO who bought the boat in 1980. I asked if they had pics from 1980. 15 mins later had pics of the boat under sail.....hull # 193.

Good luck!
I don't think the federal HIN format existed in 1972, so looking at a sister ship wouldn't help. The hull number on my 1969 Columbia 36 is just C36-287. If you want or need an official 12 digit HIN, you can probably go to your state DMV and have one issued. Same as they would do with a home built boat. Instead of a manufacturer code it starts with the state abbreviation and "X". Here in Michigan that would be "MCX" followed by a date code.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 13:18   #17

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jgw View Post
I don't think the federal HIN format existed in 1972, so looking at a sister ship wouldn't help. The hull number on my 1969 Columbia 36 is just C36-287. If you want or need an official 12 digit HIN, you can probably go to your state DMV and have one issued. Same as they would do with a home built boat. Instead of a manufacturer code it starts with the state abbreviation and "X". Here in Michigan that would be "MCX" followed by a date code.
My understanding is that the USCG created a standardized format for HINs in 1972, but most manufacturers were using a similar format since the early to mid-1960s. That was why I suggested the Pearson owner find out what Pearson Yachts was doing in the early 1970s. You are certainly correct that an owner could request the involved state to assign a number if one was not originally assigned upon manufacture. Assigned numbers are stored in a database accessible by state licensing and titling agencies though, so asking a state to assign a new number because the original was lost may not work.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 13:45   #18

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

I had similar problem. Had a brass plate made with the HIN embossed and screwed it to the hull. cost under $10 (i THINK).
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 14:28   #19

Boat: 2004 Steber 2200 Persuader

The HIN is supposed to be fixed to the hull by the manufacturer. It is an international identifier of said manufacturer and the boat itself among other things.

I bought a boat that had no HIN and was in Victoria, a state that is very lax on boat rules, and also very lax in many other things unrelated to boats.
The registration in Victoria had a "Serial Number" product of the imagination of the person that registered the boat, and nowhere to be seen anywhere on the boat or the manufacturer paperwork.

I looked up the boat registration website and found a local agent that came to the boat, issued a HIN number after I proved ownership satisfactory, engraved two plates, one attached to the outside of the boat and a second hidden inside in a "secret" place.

Since HIN is an internationally recognised method of identifying a hull, you are bound to have a similar arrangement in your state.
Marc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 16:11   #20

Boat: Houseboat, 60ft.

Yep. That's in Aussie Marc.
You can't "just make a label" & put it on in Australia.
I think the USA discussion is more related to manufacturers number.
Here the HIN is more related to true identification of boat/ownership/transfer etc for the life of that boat.
I recently did one & filled out a stat dec declaring that the previous owner had NEVER ever applied for a HIN & got a new one straight away.
BruceS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 16:46   #21

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

Our Formosa has an HIN, but it can't be located on the hull. (the boat's 35 years old, and the transom shows signs of repair). The manufacturer has been out of business for years, so there's no chance of locating the hidden one. I just got a stamped s/s one from Natinal Band and Tag, stuck it on with epoxy and drive screws, and painted it over. Looks original.
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 17:32   #22

Boat: Houseboat, 60ft.

OK Bill.
The point I was making in relation to Australia was that the authorities couldn't care less about the number the manufacturer put on the hull.
No relation what so ever.
BruceS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 17:54   #23

Boat: 2004 Steber 2200 Persuader

I bought a Searay once in South Carolina and imported into Australia. The Hin number was engraved into the transom in big numbers, probably part of the mold, since the gelco was also covering the imprint.
So how is it in the US? Is it not compulsory for the manufacturer to allocate a HIN to each boat they make?
Marc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 19:17   #24

Boat: Roberts 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstreep View Post
We bought this boat 12 years ago, and it was missing the HIN at that point. [...]

We've recently had the boat painted, and the painter was SUPPOSED to put the HIN back on, but didn't.

The painter didn't put the HIN "back on" that was missing ever since you bought the boat? Doesn't add up for me, sorry.

https://www.timantra.net
hzcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 12:57   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

Thanks, folks. We absolutely known the HIN. They only built 16, and it's easy enough to see that only the last few digits are different, and that there is a build year in it.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2019, 01:28   #26

Boat: Tradewind 33, 33 foot, Parker 27 , 26 foot

I am lead to believe the HIN should be moulded into the hull, normally somewhere on the aft quarter, just below the toe rail.
Martkimwat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull