Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2020, 08:14   #1

Boat: Voyage 430
Lewmar hatch replacement

Hi folks,

Looking for a little bit of guidance here.

The situation is that my boat has old Lewmar coastline hatches that have reached the end of their life. For those of you that will inevitably start telling me, "Why don't you just replace the lenses?" I'm not going to do it. These things are shot. Bent, corroded, leaking, bad handles, bad latches, crazed acrylic and some of the bolts and rivets have fallen apart. In short, they're dead.

Lewmar no longer produces the coastline hatches.

So now my problem... What do I replace them with? I want to avoid changing the cutout size in the deck. The hatches are size 60.

Do any of you know the most direct size replacement? I've found a lot of information online that gives conflicting cutout sizes. I've spoken to 2 dealers/service centers that also gave conflicting info. So now I'm lost.

Ideally, I'd like to move to the Ocean series, but the low profile seems to be the most direct fit. Maybe the Ocean with the flat base?

Have any of you undertaken this?
ThereAndBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2020, 17:05   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Re: Lewmar hatch replacement

Consider sending them to Hatchmasters. Take pics and send them. He's really, really good. You might be surprised. Then again, he might tell you you are out of luck. He also might have recommendations. www.hatchmasters.com
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 11:52   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstreep View Post
Consider sending them to Hatchmasters. Take pics and send them. He's really, really good. You might be surprised. Then again, he might tell you you are out of luck. He also might have recommendations. www.hatchmasters.com
I appreciate the advice but as I mentioned, I'm def going to replace these. Even the frames are falling apart and I cannot spend weeks with holes in the roof while waiting for possible hatch refurb.
Old 02-10-2020, 17:47   #4

Hi @Thereandback, did you got anywhere with this? I'm in the same situation.

A guy told me all the lewmar hatches are the same size and you can just drop in a new one. Now I have found all the dimensions for Ocean, Low Profile and Medium Profile hatches, and size 30, the one I need, is indeed exactly the same. However, I cannot find the cutout dimensions for Coastline, only the overall - though they are also the same. Sounds like a new Medium Profile will actually just be a drop-in replacement, but I am not 100% sure.
rbhun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 18:09   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbhun View Post
Hi @Thereandback, did you got anywhere with this? I'm in the same situation.

A guy told me all the lewmar hatches are the same size and you can just drop in a new one. Now I have found all the dimensions for Ocean, Low Profile and Medium Profile hatches, and size 30, the one I need, is indeed exactly the same. However, I cannot find the cutout dimensions for Coastline, only the overall - though they are also the same. Sounds like a new Medium Profile will actually just be a drop-in replacement, but I am not 100% sure.
I've ordered an Ocean series size 60 and I will attempt to replace it soon. Just by holding it up and eyeballing it, looks to be the same but I won't know until I get to the job. I'll report back when I do.
Old 11-07-2021, 07:40   #6

To follow up on this, many months later than I expected.... I replaced lewmar coastline hatch I had with a Lewmar Ocean 60 (this was the closest to the cut out dimension). It fit in fine, but the holes to fasten the hatch were a completely different pattern.

Pulled up the old hatch, drilled and filled the old holes with epoxy, then dry fit the hatch to drill new holes before sealant and install. Hopefully this helps anyone that might be in the same situation with these ancient hatches.

Tags
hatch, lewmar, men