Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2018, 18:17   #46

Re: Keel bolts... is this the end?

How do y'all feel about the Simpson epoxy idea? Guess it's either the big 'ole lag screws from McMaster Carr or use the Simpson epoxy and some threaded rod.

Both feel like a stronger spare tire, and something quickly accomplished.
Motown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 18:22   #47
rbk

Boat: T37

Not looking into specific sizes, but I’d personally be more comfortable with expansion anchors and epoxy as a temporary fix over lag bolts and I have seen 6” expansion anchors and I’m sure there are specialty ones over 12” if you look hard enough. Id be dropping the keel and seeing how far gone all of the bolts are and re-bed to prevent further water intrusion and crevice corrosion. If you’ve got 3/4 that are good a couple we’ll placed expansion anchors might be your final solution.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 18:28   #48

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motown View Post
Jesus guys...

as per Catalina (and others here)- lag screws won't be "fixing" anything. But apparently they may be an acceptable spare tire and get my unhappy ass to a capable boat yard?

Im hesitant to attempt a proper fix myself given the importance of the keel and the trend I see in sailboats- they turn into complete garbage when people are too cheap or too proud to say a project is beyond them. Who knows though, some of you guys seem to think this is a fairly straight forward job.

More questions-

keel stepped mast needs to be pulled before the keel is pulled

Why would the only bolts that have (visible) corrosion be midship

Here’s the only real “right” way to do this.

https://marskeel.com/production/repa...t-replacement/

And yes, the mast should be pulled to drop the keel.

Only you will know if the cost of this is worth it to you for this boat.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 18:48   #49

Boat: '86 MacGregor 25

Quote:
How do y'all feel about the Simpson epoxy idea? Guess it's either the big 'ole lag screws from McMaster Carr or use the Simpson epoxy and some threaded rod.

Both feel like a stronger spare tire, and something quickly accomplished.
I wouldn't use anything intended for concrete in lead without serious confirmation that it will work. They are very different materials.

In the case of epoxy-set anchors, in concrete the epoxy has a rough porous surface grab onto, which means even if the epoxy had no adhesive properties at all it will still resist pullout. Imagine trying to slide 2 sheets of sandpaper against each other. In lead, it will be relying almost entirely on adhering to the relatively smooth inner surface of the hole.
wyb2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 18:57   #50

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

I just don’t like the idea of lags into lead. If it were me, I would be thinking of horizontal and vertical holes in the keel. The horizontal hole would be for a shaft with a threaded hole in center, the vertical would be for a threaded rod which would thread into the horizontal shaft. I am talking at least 5/8 rod for the vertical. It could all be bedded in the adhesive . I would think three or four of these assemblies would do the job, easily costing less than $500 for the whole ball of wax.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 19:04   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk View Post
Not looking into specific sizes, but I’d personally be more comfortable with expansion anchors and epoxy as a temporary fix over lag bolts and I have seen 6” expansion anchors and I’m sure there are specialty ones over 12” if you look hard enough. Id be dropping the keel and seeing how far gone all of the bolts are and re-bed to prevent further water intrusion and crevice corrosion. If you’ve got 3/4 that are good a couple we’ll placed expansion anchors might be your final solution.
Again, are we talking concrete style expansion anchors? I used to use these at work, they are extremely strong, but specifically intended for materials like concrete and rock. The actual bearing area is tiny compared to a threaded fastener.

In soft lead I suspect an expansion anchor would pull out at a very disappointing torque value, leaving a slightly deformed hole in it's wake.
Old 01-05-2018, 19:16   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post

And yes, the mast should be pulled to drop the keel.
Just curious, why is this?
Old 01-05-2018, 19:24   #53

Heard rumors that the weight of the mast on the hull without the keel could be destructive
Motown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 19:26   #54

Boat: 41' yawl

Oh man maybe I was being irresponsible.
chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 19:53   #55

Boat: Moana 33

Just some thoughts: (a) a lag bolt or similar could be inserted then removed, to 'roughen' the internal surface of the lead in a drilled hole and provide a better mechanical bond for epoxy around a threaded rod inserted, of slightly smaller diameter; (b) expansion bolts pressing on 'soft' lead would likely deform the lead locally but I'd lay odds the lead would hold at least as well as any concrete if you tried to pull them out - 'soft' is a relative term; concrete crushes locally but lead can only deform and that requires colossal force or very thin material around the hole. It is just a temporary fix after all; just ensure the keel-stepped mast is not overly tensioned down and the sails are never hoisted, as mast compression/rigging tension will create the greatest downward force on those temporary keelbolts.
NevisDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 19:57   #56

Quote:
Heard rumors that the weight of the mast on the hull without the keel could be destructive
If that's the reason I'm guessing people are convoluting mast weight with mast compression forces. A tight rig will pull down on a mast with thousands of lbs of force, but I can't imagine the mast of a sub 40 ft boat weighs more that 200-400 lbs. Loosening the rig is a lot easier than pulling the mast.
Old 01-05-2018, 20:05   #57

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
How do y'all feel about the Simpson epoxy idea?...
Please tell us you are not seriously considering this.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 20:25   #58

Boat: Moana 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
Please tell us you are not seriously considering this.
But surely it's just a question of 'how many' lag-bolts, or expansion bolts, or epoxy studs will provide the required adhesion and load-spread - not whether the ideas can work or not? And what's the alternative - walk away?
NevisDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 20:26   #59

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Quote:
Jesus guys...

as per Catalina (and others here)- lag screws won't be "fixing" anything. But apparently they may be an acceptable spare tire and get my unhappy ass to a capable boat yard?

Im hesitant to attempt a proper fix myself given the importance of the keel and the trend I see in sailboats- they turn into complete garbage when people are too cheap or too proud to say a project is beyond them. Who knows though, some of you guys seem to think this is a fairly straight forward job.

More questions-
keel stepped mast needs to be pulled before the keel is pulled
Why would the only bolts that have (visible) corrosion be midship
Yeah, we're a bunch of hardheads here, sorry about that. You get used to it.

How many keelbolts are there? What size are they?

Obviously you'll have to make the decision whether the boat is seaworthy for the trip back across, but you can at least make an educated assessment.

An attempt to tighten the bolts could tell you all you need to know; if none of them move when torqued to or near to spec, that is a good sign. If the glass around the bolts compresses or water squeezes out or the nut tightens, not such of good sign.

The sound the bolts make when struck with a hammer might also give you an idea; if they all have the same solid sound when struck, that is good, if one or more sound 'off' that may indicate trouble with those that do.

If most of the bolts turn out to seem good, I'd hazard a guess that you'll be fine crossing, especially if you pick (and have) good weather.

Certainly you could use lag screws as a 'crutch' if more than half (or whatever number you're comfortable with) of the bolts are suspect. If you are assuredly going to repair, or have repaired, the keel promptly, I see no reason to use stainless or bronze lags; regular steel or galvanized will work just as well and is probably stronger. I would try to avoid as much as possible drilling many holes in either the lead or the fiberglass, because doing so will only complicate matters further down the road.

The job is relatively straightforward, especially if you have, like many here do, a lifetime of experience in these and related matters. There is nothing very complicated about any of it, but planning, attention to detail, patience, access to tools and time are all very necessary. You will be dealing with powerful machinery and much heavier loads than the average person has experience with. It's all actually pretty fun if you approach it with the right frame of mind, and have the money to do things correctly.

I don't think it's absolutely necessary to remove the mast, when they haul the boat they'll loosen the rigging, but with a job this size it might be advantageous to unstep it anyway. Plus, it's a lot easier to do maintenance while it's on the ground, so plan on that while you can. If the step is in way of any issues with the keel sump, then of course you'll have to remove the mast to address them.

There is no good answer as to why the midship bolts have deteriorated; that will have to wait until the ballast is dropped. Did you notice any weeping or separation when you had the bottom done?
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 23:30   #60
rbk

Boat: T37

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyb2 View Post
Again, are we talking concrete style expansion anchors? I used to use these at work, they are extremely strong, but specifically intended for materials like concrete and rock. The actual bearing area is tiny compared to a threaded fastener.

In soft lead I suspect an expansion anchor would pull out at a very disappointing torque value, leaving a slightly deformed hole in it's wake.
Yes, but they’re also used in structural steel work as well. While the lag has more purchase area, the failure plane on an anchor runs out 45 degrees from the shaft and are cone shaped (look up conical failure in rock anchors). Bolts strip out, anchors take large masses of substrate with them. If you used a Ss sleeve on a large anchor it would compress the lead keel quite easily around the expansion sleeve. Again not a permanent solution but 1000x better than a lag bolt.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keel, keel bolts