Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2017, 05:37   #1

Boat: Island Packet 32 Keel/CB
Re: Island Packet 32 autopilot suggestions

[QUOTE]As far as being dependent on a single network system, hate to tell you, but even with a 0183 system, you really only have one network data buss.[QUOTE]

If I loose NMEA 0183HS the Garmin will simply not display AIS contacts. If I loose NMEA 0183 then Lat and Long will not be displayed on bottom of radar display. If I loose SEATALK then some data (speed, depth, wind) will not be available to the AP. Helm Chartplotter still shows my location, radar still shows surrounding targets, autopilot will still maintain a magnetic heading.

It is called "not putting all of your eggs in one basket"

The two digit IPs with thru the legs steering have the rear end of the steering shaft machined with a keyway (my key was still there fastened with a tywrap). Driving the steering from this location will result in an AP using considerably less energy than driving the rudder shaft directly.
Frankly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2017, 05:57   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Marshall, might help if you list the electronics you have on board. Some of the older stuff is better than new stuff. I certainly won't be replacing the ST60s for the later version.

In terms of the autopilot what colour is the drive unit on the wheel? it will either be black or grey and what model number is the control heat?

The very latest wheel pilots use the same drive that is has been available from Raymarine for a decade. So unless its worn out or damaged probably not worth replacing it. The control head is different but without knowing the model difficult to advise. Oh and does it work properly?

There are more expensive under deck autopilot systems available from both Garmin and Raymarine, but they are twice the price of a new wheel drive. An IP32 should be alright on a wheel drive. Our M31 certainly is.

Peter
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2017, 06:11   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankly View Post

If I loose NMEA 0183HS the Garmin will simply not display AIS contacts. If I loose NMEA 0183 then Lat and Long will not be displayed on bottom of radar display. If I loose SEATALK then some data (speed, depth, wind) will not be available to the AP. Helm Chartplotter still shows my location, radar still shows surrounding targets, autopilot will still maintain a magnetic heading.

It is called "not putting all of your eggs in one basket"
Yeah same with my system. Plotter has built in GPS so if network goes down Posistion data is still on the screen. AP AHARS is for magnetic info. for the AP alone. Other network users use a B&G Z-100 for Mag and GPS reference.
Radar is directly connected to the plotter.
AIS comes from the VHS which can display the info with out any other input. But sends data to the plotter.

For the sailing info, if the network goes down then it's time to fall back on the mechanical indicators.

I don't have all of my eggs in one basket. I just have ONE system to mess with for network problems.
And push comes to shove, I can always run jumper cables to get it back up., if need be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankly View Post
The two digit IPs with thru the legs steering have the rear end of the steering shaft machined with a keyway (my key was still there fastened with a tywrap). Driving the steering from this location will result in an AP using considerably less energy than driving the rudder shaft directly.
Don't know about your IP, but installing a rotary actuator on the end of the shaft would be a pain. As far as access.
missourisailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autopilot, island packet