Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2023, 11:15   #1

Is this bad bottom paint? Results after just one month

Hello,

We had our bottom painted one month ago. We had to haul out today again and the bottom paint looked like this already. It's been just 5 weeks since we splashed. Usually, our bottom paint would last a lot longer.

There's golf ball sized chips missing that flaked off when the haul out guys scraped the barnacles off.

We are at the same yard that did the paint job, haven't left the area. They were surprised by how bad it looked as well.

Thanks.
Old 08-06-2023, 11:27   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 57
Re: Is this bad bottom paint? Results after just one month

Which bottom paint did you use? It certainly looks bad for a new paint. But before pointing fingers or diagnosing, there's additional information needed.
Old 08-06-2023, 11:34   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
Which bottom paint did you use? It certainly looks bad for a new paint. But before pointing fingers or diagnosing, there's additional information needed.

They told me it was Interlux Aqua Base Paint. Unfortunately, it was painted while I was gone and I didn't get to see the paint can to see which paint exactly it was.

Yes, I realize that was a mistake now. We had propspeed put on our feathering props and those still look brand new.
Old 08-06-2023, 11:54   #4

That is an ablative paint. Do you know what you had as bottom paint before that? It does look like a bad preparation job, though. Did you hire "professionals" to do this?

There's a chart about compatibility here: Interlux Compatibility
Old 08-06-2023, 11:58   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
That is an ablative paint. Do you know what you had as bottom paint before that? It does look like a bad preparation job, though. Did you hire "professionals" to do this?

There's a chart about compatibility here: Interlux Compatibility
We had an ablative paint before as well.

The yard had their guys do the job.
Old 08-06-2023, 12:02   #6

I did some digging and they may have used Interlux Fiberglass Bottomkote Aqua, which I think may be a hard paint?
Old 08-06-2023, 12:05   #7

A hard paint on top of an ablative needs a primer coat. Without that, it will flake off.
Old 08-06-2023, 13:19   #8

Yes, definitely. I will have to ask them to make sure.

Does the amount of growth seem odd as well? The propspeed props had almost no growth. It all just fell right off. No sticky barnacles.
Old 08-06-2023, 13:49   #9

As you can see from the chart, the prep required depends on EXACTLY what paint you had before, and EXACTLY what paint they put on this time.

It sounds like you don't know the answer to either question.

If the right prep isn't done, according to the chart, the paint won't stick.

Personally, I'd have taken more of an interest in making sure the job was done right, before it was done.

Your approach seems to have been to tell them to "paint the bottom with some paint".

This might seem harsh, but there you go.

Generally, when choosing a bottom paint, you want to be talking to locals about their experience in the waters you'll be cruising, as results vary. Different paints for different waters. My neighbors seemed very happy with Micron 66, and it's true, the results were excellent.
Old 08-06-2023, 13:56   #10

We had Ultima sr 60 last time. I have an idea what they put on this time, and I will be asking later (I'm prepping the email but need to be careful). And yes I know I should have spent more time. We actually didn't like the job they had done but they were defensive when we asked them about it (right after it was finished). We were dealing with a lot (outside of boat life) and were just hoping that we were wrong (because they told us we were wrong).

I realize we made a mistake, but now I need to figure out what to do next.

I'm already upset with myself over this.
Old 08-06-2023, 14:05   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
As you can see from the chart, the prep required depends on EXACTLY what paint you had before, and EXACTLY what paint they put on this time.

It sounds like you don't know the answer to either question.

If the right prep isn't done, according to the chart, the paint won't stick.

Personally, I'd have taken more of an interest in making sure the job was done right, before it was done.

Your approach seems to have been to tell them to "paint the bottom with some paint".

This might seem harsh, but there you go.

Generally, when choosing a bottom paint, you want to be talking to locals about their experience in the waters you'll be cruising, as results vary. Different paints for different waters. My neighbors seemed very happy with Micron 66, and it's true, the results were excellent.
I got it, I'm an idiot. I know. But I'm wondering what I should do now.

I did tell them to match the paint - ablative. But they painted it without telling me what paint they used. Even though they said they would. Like I said, they are quite defensive and I'm just trying to get my ducks in a row before I say anything to them.
Old 08-06-2023, 16:03   #12

Boat: Tartan T4400

Its tough if you do not know what paint is on the botttom to start with. It does look like a poor prep job, looks of geen above the water for only a month. You won't like my reccomendation but I would have all of the boattom paint removed. Then a barrier coat put then my choice of bottom paint. Don't know where you ae and how you use the boat so will not make a reccomendation for a type of bottom paint.
Old 08-06-2023, 16:07   #13

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 31

You should not beat yourself up for this.
Here’s the good news: it can be fixed; may cost some money, but hey— that’s part of owning a boat.
Fair winds and hopefully you’ll come to an amicable resolution with your yard.
Old 08-06-2023, 16:20   #14

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamme View Post
You should not beat yourself up for this.
Here’s the good news: it can be fixed; may cost some money, but hey— that’s part of owning a boat.
Fair winds and hopefully you’ll come to an amicable resolution with your yard.
Pretty much this. It was a mistake on your part but a mild one - the yard really should have done their homework before painting - bottom paint is most places bread and butter! Hoping you can come to an agreement with them. And don't beat yaself up about it, could happen to anyone.
Old 08-06-2023, 18:29   #15
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottompaintques View Post
I got it, I'm an idiot. I know. But I'm wondering what I should do now.

I did tell them to match the paint - ablative. But they painted it without telling me what paint they used. Even though they said they would. Like I said, they are quite defensive and I'm just trying to get my ducks in a row before I say anything to them.

Your not an idiot, your boatyard is incompetent. They should know whether the old paint is ablative or hard, and if they’re local they should also know what works best in your location.
Closed Thread

Tags
bottom paint, paint