Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2012, 11:08   #16

Boat: Catalina 42 MK I
Re: I'm Installing Air Cond. in 51' s/v in Panama

So the 16.5k btu and the 9k btu probably better way to go. Thanks Sailmonkey, and Colemj and all!!
Geoff H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 13:35   #17

Thanks again to all here.
I've decided on Flagship and am going with two 16.5 btu units. Am getting quote from them today and will have shipped to Panama via shipper in Miami. Looks to me like that is a really well made unit.
Old 01-02-2013, 14:05   #18
Eternal Member

Geoff,

I've got two Flagships...a 16.5K BTU unit and a 12K BTU unit....and love them.

If you are planning to ever again be in cool/cold climes, get the models with the large heating element. MUCH better than reverse cycle...no moving parts and no water/pump flow in wintertime. Just one of mine keeps my 42' boat warm in very cold weather.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2013, 21:21   #19

Why don't you do what all the work boats in Panama do? Install a mini-split for $300. If it isn't enough, add another. They come pre-charged and installation is so simple, even I can do it.

I have a vac-pump and happen to be in the BYC if you need a hand.
Bambolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2013, 21:12   #20

To all: I wanted to again say thanks for the earlier responses and to report current status re: AC on Un Mundo. We went ahead and installed two Flagship 16.5 btu units, one in the salon that cools there and aft stateroom, and one in the galley that cools there and with the directional grills very nicely manages the mid guest cabin and fwd head (leaving the doors open). Installation was mostly completed in Panama on our mooring at BYC, with some final work done DURING our Panama Canal Transit -- no kidding, we were in the lock being raised when we turned the galley unit on for the first time.
Thanks to those who steered me to Flagship. We are now at Club Nautico in Cartagena, loving all this nice dry cold air. Both units work great. We spent a month in the San Blas Islands at anchor and underway, running both easily from the Kohler 5K. Very sweet. Couldn't be happier.
Old 27-07-2013, 06:49   #21

Well congrats! I'm a firm believer in AC. I know that as we sail we get acclimated to the heat and humidity but as I plan for the future those guest that come visit will not be. so having a cool place for them to sleep in many cases makes all the difference. And for those hot and nasty days where you just cant escape the heat, being able to fire up the genny and know you can cool down is just a great piece of mind to have. I almost went with flagstar but I found a considerably better price on the mermaid units and just bought four, to replace all the 1981 original units that were in the boat. I hope my new units work a well as yours as we go along. If they turn out to be maintenance nights mares I will have again learned the lesson, you get what you pay for. Or at least be taught it again...I'm a slow learner!
DSDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2013, 19:25   #22

DSDman, I'm sure you'll love your Mermaids as much as I'm loving my Flagships. My favorite thing is I can do a project or two, and if inside I dont' get too sweaty and worn out, and if outside I've got cool to escape to, and psychologically that is a great escape to have. We're in Cartagena now and it's about as hot as I've ever had. And I love running the aft unit for an hr or so before bedtime, which keeps the berth cool and dry and makes going to bed all that much more rewarding. Here's to being cool. :-)

Tags
Panama