Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-05-2017, 23:23   #13

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: How to Remove PoliGlow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinrod View Post
In my opinion, applying PoliGlow over Awlgrip is absolute blasphemy.

I really dislike any clear acrylic overcoat, even on gelcoat.

I know some boaters like it.

I repair and restore gelcoat and apply Awlgrip (and pretty much all marine finishes) for a living.

I take a lot of pride in the appearance of my personal and customer boats.

I tried an acrylic coating many years ago, and after I got (most) of it off the next year, vowed I would never use it again.
Well, Rod, I quite understand that you'd like such folks to come to your shop and have their gelcoat restored, and I'm quite ready to believe that you can make it look way better than Poli-Glow can.

But, there just might be a small difference in the cost of such treatments. On our previous boat we used P-G on thirty year old gelcoat, a surface that was quite porous, and which resisted the usual cut and polish as applied by amateurs during a short term slipping. It didn't look as good as new or newly restored gel, but it looked a hell of a lot better than untreated... and it only took us around 8 hours total labour and less than 50 AUD to get there. And the renewal was even quicker the next year.

Some folks, especially cruisers who are actively sailing, don't want to spend the time or money on perfection of appearance in an older boat. For such folks, P-G and its ilk are useful and welcome.

No experience with using it over LPU finishes, and no comments to make on the subject.

Jim