Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2018, 05:31   #1

Boat: Catamaran, monohull, pontoon
Send a message via AIM to watermanmax
Help in St. Thomas

Hello all,
So to the point...anyone in St. Thomas area to work on a boat (I know....they are all probably busy for years to come)
But I got a lead on the Harbor Shoppers website a couple months back and would like to know what ya think... There is a Catamaran with damage to one sugar scoop but does not look any more damaged than that. Here the link https://harborshoppers.com/product/p...t-2014-sabore/
Am I crazy to buy it and try to find someone to fix it up for me? Maybe these were the good pics and its full of mold and seaweed....or I get it and it sits there for the next 3 years.
any ideas / thoughts???
Troy
watermanmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 07:01   #2

Boat: Gulfstar 36 MS
Re: Help in St. Thomas

So you missed the one keel that's half ripped off huh!
Outlaw7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 08:01   #3

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

Did she sink, get beat up on dock or fall over in yard? Get insurance adjusters report before you bid, most of the charter boats had insurance.
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 08:04   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw7 View Post
So you missed the one keel that's half ripped off huh!
Cats only sail downwind, so just cut both keels off. problem solved.

They're also showing a gemini that might be a better bet. 40 min left. Tick-tock...
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 09:59   #5

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Good luck.. I have a good friend that just purchased a Lagoon from them.

In reality, you will have a VERY VERY hard time fixing that boat in the VIs. Even if you are willing to fix it yourself. Even access to materials is still super hard as there is soo many boats.

If you are honestly thinking of bidding, you need to change your mindset. You will need to "patch up" anything you buy with the intention of moving the boat somewhere else for a real repair. Most are being patched and going to Antigua, St. Kitts, Martinique, Grenada or Trinidad.

You will also need to be HEAVILY involved in the repair process.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 08:54   #6
cruiser

Boat: 53' Hatteras Cruising Yacht

In St. Thomas... Good luck
As fast as your material is delivered it will be stolen
SouthernPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 10:00   #7

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

If you are really interested you need to go look in person. Too many little things to mention. No shots of mast base, roller foil is bent, glass damage will be the least of your concerns. All in all it could be a good deal if you are handy and very involved.mmif you are absentee,,forget it!
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 11:36   #8

Boat: Hinterhoeller Niagara 35

Plane tickets are cheap compared to ?????...... Fly down, take a look. If it is patchable, fly home and buy materials. Return, patch it up and sail it back to Florida for permanent repair. Major rigging, electrical system, and hull repairs are not "patchable".

At best, you will have spent a few days in St. Thomas looking at boats drinking a bit of rum. At worst you will have an adventure and lots of headaches.

I don't care how good she looks, unless you can do extensive systems work yourself any boat that's been through a hurricane is never going to be "cheap". The insurance company that now owns this boat is selling it at salvage value for good reasons.
Boatwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 12:17   #9

Boat: Oyster 55

[QUOTE=Am I crazy to buy it and try to find someone to fix it up for me? [/QUOTE]

Yes. You must be heavily personally involved, meaning onsite as a knowledgeable general contractor, or willing to write a blank check and take your chances with an unknown contractor. Either way, putting this boat in seaworthy condition will not be cheap. And maintenance and operating expenses on a boat of this size will be very expensive.
Dr. Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 12:58   #10

Boat: Bavaria, 12.3m
Send a message via Skype™ to Otia

It is a nice boat. I understand you want to get it.
Damages don't seem bad. Not structural.
Can you float it? Could you make a minimal patch to bring it to St-Marteen?
Then I could help you.
Old 05-04-2018, 13:20   #11

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otia View Post
Damages don't seem bad. Not structural.
Don't seem bad? Not structural? You did see that one of the keels is severely damaged, the port scoop is crushed, and one of the shaft struts was push up through the hull, right? Not that it's irreparable, but it is certainly not a job for the faint-hearted...

To the OP, it could be a very nice boat again, but will take a lot of time and money to get there. Just make sure that you understand what you're committing to before pulling the trigger. Either way, best of luck!

-David
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 13:27   #12

Boat: Bavaria, 12.3m
Send a message via Skype™ to Otia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhoy View Post
Don't seem bad? Not structural? You did see that one of the keels is severely damaged, the port scoop is crushed, and one of the shaft struts was push up through the hull, right? Not that it's irreparable, but it is certainly not a job for the faint-hearted...

To the OP, it could be a very nice boat again, but will take a lot of time and money to get there. Just make sure that you understand what you're committing to before pulling the trigger. Either way, best of luck!

-David
I admit I didn't see well, I can't enlarge the pictures on the web link. That's why I was asking if it is in condition to be sailed, or easily patched to be sailed to sxm.
Anyhow, yes I have the crew to make such repairs in sxm. We have tackled much larger projects.
Old 07-04-2018, 06:31   #13

Boat: Catamaran, monohull, pontoon
Send a message via AIM to watermanmax

Thanks all for the comments, I know I am a bit crazy!!!
Yeah I think the best would be there...hands on. but not possible at this time. I will continue my never ending search for our first livaboard cat!!!
thanks again.
watermanmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 06:13   #14

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by watermanmax View Post
Yeah I think the best would be there...hands on. but not possible at this time. I will continue my never ending search for our first livaboard cat!!!
thanks again.
Just don't give up the dream...
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 06:49   #15

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by watermanmax View Post
thanks again.
You know there is an older but well kept Prout 50 for sale in Martinique - St. Lucia area. It priced pretty attractive at $125,000

I'm not connected to the boat at all. I just seen the pictures posted on Facebook and it looked to be in pretty good shape for that price. It has undergone multiple refits in its lifetime.

If you are interested, I could dig up the link and forward it on.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote