Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2020, 19:43   #16

Boat: Alberg 30, Magellan 36 Ketch
Re: Hauling an Alberg 30 on my own

Quote:
Originally Posted by acem View Post
I don't think you all be too high. I was at 13+ but I went under everything. It is really tall on the trailer. If your concerned, run a rope from the tongue of the trailer, over the bow pulpit (make a turn in the rope there), over the cabin and tie off to the stern pulpit. That will guide any wires over it, old farmer trick. And if you break a phone line, they are the lowest, don't stop, just keep on trucking, you didn't see that!

I crossed state lines with mine on the interstate 40. I entered the weight station prepared to buy a permit but they gave me the green light to bypass the scales!

Thx-Ace
Interesting trick there, Ill have to ask my dad about that one, he grew up in indiana on a farm. Ill bet he'll say, "oh yeah, just run a rope from the tongue".. Ha!

Ok, I have heard that its not all too worrisome to be that close to the width maximum.
DanielPerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 06:39   #17

Boat: 1968 Columbia 50

personally, I would just have a marina lift it for ya and set it on your trailer. I would not worry about the 1/4", I had my boat moved 1200 miles over 7 or 8 states (I forget) being 1/4" over and just claimed 12' width on permits...nobody made a stink over it.

I've seen too many people have problems trying to pull their boat out on a steep boat ramp that was slippery.
Old 10-09-2020, 08:29   #18

Boat: CLC Skerry

Maybe I'm just getting old and lazy, but this seems like a LOT of trouble to go to just to save a couple of hundred bucks for a lift-out at a local marina, not to mention the liability/insurance calculation (get an umbrella policy!), wide load permitting, the possibility of seriously injuring someone or breaking your boat, and the time it will take to get it all right when there's so much that can go wrong. But if you enjoy the challenge, go for it. Check the ramp you will be using carefully. Some of them have vertical dropoffs at the outer end. If your trailer wheels drop off the end, your trailer frame will be sitting on the concrete and your wheels will be hanging loose several feet underwater. Also, your tow vehicle should be four-wheel drive and loaded heavy to provide traction. My dock is next to a launch ramp, and I've seen several times where the tow vehicle could not get enough traction to pull a boat up the ramp. Have a tow strap handy so you can hook up a second tow vehicle in tandem if necessary. Good luck!
rhubstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 09:48   #19

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

I don't think your Uhaul truck idea is going to work. Uhaul vehicles I have seen don't have a strong enough hitch for this job or appropriate trailer brakes, and (insurance or no) I think you will find that the agreement you sign precludes what you propose to do, so the insurance won't help you.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 11:21   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooglas View Post
I don't think your Uhaul truck idea is going to work. Uhaul vehicles I have seen don't have a strong enough hitch for this job or appropriate trailer brakes, and (insurance or no) I think you will find that the agreement you sign precludes what you propose to do, so the insurance won't help you.
Ok, even though it would be withing their tow rating and on their website they advertise "haul your boat to the lake".

I definitely will do more looking into this, thank you.
Old 10-09-2020, 11:23   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhubstuff View Post
Maybe I'm just getting old and lazy, but this seems like a LOT of trouble to go to just to save a couple of hundred bucks for a lift-out at a local marina, not to mention the liability/insurance calculation (get an umbrella policy!), wide load permitting, the possibility of seriously injuring someone or breaking your boat, and the time it will take to get it all right when there's so much that can go wrong. But if you enjoy the challenge, go for it. Check the ramp you will be using carefully. Some of them have vertical dropoffs at the outer end. If your trailer wheels drop off the end, your trailer frame will be sitting on the concrete and your wheels will be hanging loose several feet underwater. Also, your tow vehicle should be four-wheel drive and loaded heavy to provide traction. My dock is next to a launch ramp, and I've seen several times where the tow vehicle could not get enough traction to pull a boat up the ramp. Have a tow strap handy so you can hook up a second tow vehicle in tandem if necessary. Good luck!
Very appreciated sir, excellent advice. Im still all about kicking my own ass, apparently, haha. I will be taking your advice to heart.
Old 10-09-2020, 12:27   #22

Boat: catalina 22 & 27

The lake my sailboat was on dosen't have a lift. That's why I pulled it myself. My only other option was to haul it with a crane. A bigger sailboat was hauled out that way.

I actually have a crane truck I use on the farm. It's easily capable of lifting my Catalina 27. However the lake is across the state line and I couldn't legally drive it there...

We pulled my boat up the ramp with my friends f150 4we. It pulled it up the ramp easily in 4 low. We then hooked it up to my 3/4 ton dodge Cummins for hauling. I had no problems with the trucks, just the boat sliding off the trailer.

Thx-Ace
Old 10-09-2020, 14:09   #23

Boat: 44' Custom Aluminum Cutter, & Pearson 30

I would be concerned that the ramp is long enough then about getting traction. You can get a hand trailer dolly that you drop the ball on to carry the tounge load. As someone else said I would usea 4x4 and maybe have two in tandem pulling. There are plenty of youtube of trucks going in the drink on a ramp.

https://www.harborfreight.com/600-lb...xoC5tEQAvD_BwE
NorthCoastJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 17:02   #24

Boat: Benetea 311 swing keel

Hi
I have been trailering my boat for ten plus. I got extra long trailer so no extension needed added boat stands to hold boat
It been great. I tow it about 5 miles
Goo luck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200620_142137.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	423.2 KB
ID:	223167  
Peconiceast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 18:48   #25

Here are a couple pics of mine after I got it home and before I cleaned the bottom. My crane truck is parked besides it.

The nissan is parked there for effect. The boat and trailer would fold up the bumper on that truck!
My trailer was custom made for this boat but it is adjustable to others. It only has two axles but they are very heavy duty low profile axles.

Thx-Ace
Old 10-09-2020, 19:06   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthCoastJoe View Post
I would be concerned that the ramp is long enough then about getting traction. You can get a hand trailer dolly that you drop the ball on to carry the tounge load. As someone else said I would usea 4x4 and maybe have two in tandem pulling. There are plenty of youtube of trucks going in the drink on a ramp.

https://www.harborfreight.com/600-lb...xoC5tEQAvD_BwE
Right on, thank you! I could bring my anchors on shore and place them in the dirt and attach them to the uhaul though...ha

Two trucks, seems really wise.
Aye, two trucks. Or four trucks, why not? And a train and a godamn giant squid pulling too.
I wont lose that uhaul.
Old 10-09-2020, 19:10   #27

Sorry the image didn't load. Let's try again!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181216_113143.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	445.3 KB
ID:	223170  
Old 11-09-2020, 15:03   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by acem View Post
Sorry the image didn't load. Let's try again!
Just out of curiosity, did you build the extender with the wheels on it?
Old 11-09-2020, 22:07   #29

The dolly came with the boat and trailer as a package.

If you can weld it would be easy to fabricate.

Thx-Ace
Old 12-09-2020, 04:26   #30

Boat: Pilot Cutter

I have thought about doing this myself and my worry has always been a steep slippery ramp. The truth is I'm cheap and don't like to pay fees if I don't have to.

In my internet surfing to come up with a solution as to the "how" I have found people to use a l-o-n-g strap between the trailer and the truck. That way the truck is more on level ground and not on a wet, slippery ramp.

When I towed my trailer + boat for the first time I became stuck when I turned around in a seemingly innocuous driveway. I immediately became stuck. +1 for having 4wd on that vehicle.

At least one other person to help and LARGE chocks for tires (truck and trailer). Think about having to stop and detach to fix a problem while pulling her up the ramp.
esarratt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alberg, alberg 30