Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2020, 10:28   #31

Boat: Aquarius Pilot Cutter, 24'
Re: Hauling an Alberg 30 on my own

A few others thoughts...

My understanding is there are float off sailboat trailers and lift off sailboat trailers.

This company in North Carolina makes both types: https://www.triadtrailers.com/float-on-trailer/

Some other people on the forum may be able to chime in on using a lift off trailer to float off. I don't know. Is it possible or just a big PITA to do this? Can a lift off trailer be altered?
esarratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2020, 06:54   #32

Boat: catalina 22 & 27

I had no problem with the ramp using a 4wd pickup. I had trouble with the sailboat sliding off the trailer!

The bottom of the boat had slime all over it (freshwater boat so slick bottom). My Catalina 27 has no spot on the front to pull from other than the cleats on top. It would not stay on until we hooked the strap up short from the keel to the trailer.

Thx-Ace
Old 15-09-2020, 08:00   #33

Boat: Alberg 30, Magellan 36 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by esarratt View Post
A few others thoughts...

My understanding is there are float off sailboat trailers and lift off sailboat trailers.

This company in North Carolina makes both types: https://www.triadtrailers.com/float-on-trailer/

Some other people on the forum may be able to chime in on using a lift off trailer to float off. I don't know. Is it possible or just a big PITA to do this? Can a lift off trailer be altered?
Hmm ok, I need to look closely at my cradle. thank you!
DanielPerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2020, 08:22   #34

Pay to have your boat hauled from the water onto your cradle and trailer. I would not try backing down a ramp to do that. It's just not worth the small savings.
I wouldn't worry about the 1/4" over width!
If you do try a ramp, you MUST have 4wd.
and for giggles, set the Ebrake !:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	115993006_10215298273670385_8653433659026360521_n.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	223448  

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2020, 09:53   #35

Boat: Alberg 30, Magellan 36 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Pay to have your boat hauled from the water onto your cradle and trailer. I would not try backing down a ramp to do that. It's just not worth the small savings.
I wouldn't worry about the 1/4" over width!
If you do try a ramp, you MUST have 4wd.
and for giggles, set the Ebrake !:
Much appreciated feedback!
DanielPerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2020, 10:09   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peconiceast View Post
Hi
I have been trailering my boat for ten plus. I got extra long trailer so no extension needed added boat stands to hold boat
It been great. I tow it about 5 miles
Goo luck
Yeah, much easier with a shallow draft boat like that. The OP's Alberg is not and it will stand high on the trailer. He may need 6 feet of water to get it on.
I found with some shallow draft boats that the trailer ended up dropping off the water end of the cement ramp trying to back in far enough!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2020, 10:55   #37

Boat: a sailing boat

Small boats like yours are normally hauled by owners where we came from. Off course, be careful and think about the safety first.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2020, 07:45   #38

Boat: Hinckley Bermuda 40

As a former sailor of an Alberg 30 (most beautiful 30 ft. Boat ever built- a friend circumnavigated in his) I can relate. An A-30’s draft is 4’6”. The trailer height from road to the top of the roller or keel channel is what- 12”? You have to allow for that required height plus the boat’s draft ( remember that draft is design draft, unloaded by ground tackle, water, fuel, spares, provisions, enhancements, etc.) Empty the boat of everything that’s removable, including spars. You’re looking at a boat ramp depth of almost six feet if you’re lucky. Very few boat ramps have that depth close enough for your vehicle to safely get in and out even with a tongue extension. Very few outboards exceed 20’; that A-30 is 30’3”. A really long tongue extension on a really powerful truck might do it. Remember, you’re going 15-20 ft further into the water with that trailer than the ramp designer anticipated, so the chance of a washed-out drop-off increases. You may have the benefit of tides to help if your trailer can stay on the ramp that long.
I sure understand the appeal of making the boat more accessible for repairs, etc. If it was me though, I’d see about getting a crane to put it on my trailer.
Old 18-09-2020, 07:58   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by esarratt View Post
In my internet surfing to come up with a solution as to the "how" I have found people to use a l-o-n-g strap between the trailer and the truck. That way the truck is more on level ground and not on a wet, slippery .
The strap (be sure it’s rated for the load) will work if you have a straight-ahead pull coming up the ramp- the trailer will be very unresponsive to turning.

It will NOT work for backing the trailer down the ramp, which will be necessary for both positioning the trailer at haul-out and for re-launch.
Old 18-09-2020, 08:09   #40

Boat: Whitby, Alberg 30

There is an Alberg 30 on-line forum and an Alberg 30 Facebook group and an Alberg 30 owners association and several owners who have and or do tow their boats. The fellow who circumnavigated rounding Cape Horn tows his Alberg 30 regularly. I am sure you can find all of the links by Googling. The owners association publishes an excellent maintenance manual and will loan an A-frame specifically made for lowering the mast.
swordds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2020, 14:11   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by swordds View Post
The fellow who circumnavigated rounding Cape Horn tows his Alberg 30 regularly. .
I doubt we are referring to the same sailor. I refer to Terrell Adkisson, ( Beaumont, Texas) who circumnavigated ‘75-‘78 via Panama. He passed away about 10 years ago. He never towed on land- I knew him quite well. He is why I had my A-30.
However, ownership of Altair passed to his nephew in Baton Rouge, who accompanied Terrell part of the way.
Old 18-09-2020, 14:34   #42

Boat: Whitby, Alberg 30

I am referring to Yves Gelinas on the boat Jean-du-Sud. There is an excellent DVD of his voyage. He is also the designer/inventor of the Cape Horn wind vane.
swordds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2020, 15:02   #43

Boat: 1987 Liberty 38

Yves Gelinas used to do it all the time. There is a photo on his site with the Alberg 30 behind a Suburban.
GadgetGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2020, 16:29   #44

Boat: Newport 30, Sirius 21

Try to rent a truck that weighs more than the boat. Really helps with stopping in a straight line.
I really suggest that you use a lift to load the boat, at least the first time. The lift operator can move the boat an inch or two to get the tongue weight you want, so much easier than in and out of the water each time. No tongue extension, no roller on the front of the trailer.

A bigger truck will take more tongue weight. More tongue weight is your friend. (up to a point. Keep an eye on those back tires)
Strap the cradle to the trailer so there's no play fore and aft. Chain and chain binders are what the pros use. Strap the boat to the cradle AND the trailer. Use heavy straps. You can tighten the straps with line, or more straps, around the upright parts of the straps, between the trailer and the hull. Tie from one side to the other, go around, cinch it up, repeat, until you have 5 or 6 turns around both straps, and they sing like a guitar string wen you pluck them.

Good luck, and drive slow!
gulfislandfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2020, 17:53   #45

Boat: 1987 Liberty 38
Arrow Re: Hauling an Alberg 30 on my own

Quote:
Originally Posted by swordds View Post
The owners association publishes an excellent maintenance manual and will loan an A-frame specifically made for lowering the mast.

It's probably the same A-frame I used to borrow when I had A30 #158 I must have raised and lowered that mast a dozen times. The block and tackle looked like it was from the 60's but it worked. I even did it by myself once. Only once.

I know Yves Gelinas from my Alberg days and yes, he towed his A30 all over the place. He writes about it here on his site with a photo or three:

Forty Years later, I Would Still Choose an Alberg 30 – CapHorn – Régulateur d’allure intégré
GadgetGeek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alberg, alberg 30