Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2016, 20:39   #1

Boat: Bruce Roberts Offshore 38
Hagane Rebuild Update 12-20-2016

I have been working really hard on getting the cockpit completed as well as building a new steering pulley box to transition from the quadrant to the rest of the steering system.

First the cockpit:
If you have been following along you know that I have removed the old center cockpit from my steel Offshore 38 and built a framework for the new one. I then built a press to bend the steel sheets for the seats. When last I left you I had most of the seats bent and fitted, and the floor fabricated with a riser for the pedestal and drains welded in as well.

The real chore was flipping the framework over so that I could gain access to the underside of the floor to weld it in:

Once that was done, I had to flip it back over and start attaching the seats themselves. Here is the rear seat with the seat back seam completed and ground flush:

One more mock-up with the pedestal to see how it all fits together:

I wanted to add a "tunnel" helm seat, so I bent up a frame to support the arched seat and here it is fitted together on the workbench:

I welded in the frame and the pre-bent sheet along with the seat front which has a radius curve on the front to continue the rounded edges along the entire cockpit. All in all I am pleased with how it is coming along.

The next steps are final trimming and fitting of the side seats where they meet with the rear seat, and the addition of a few inches at the bottom of the seat fronts with a radius to meet the floor. More on that in a later post.

The second project I have completed is a "steering box" to house the idler pulleys which re-direct the steering cables to the quadrant. When I de-constructed the boat, the steering cable pulleys were attached to a wooden frame in the hull. That went along with the rest of the interior. In the end The steering system will need to use the Edson Push-Pull conduits to interface from the pedestal to the steering box. This is due the difference in height between the quadrant and the bottom of the pedestal. I know that it is not the best solution, but thankfully the conduit runs are going to be less than three feet each. I mocked up the quadrant on my workbench and designed a steel box to house the pulleys with spacers to ensure that they are at the correct height in relation to the grooves in the quadrant:

I used some scraps of dyneema I had lying around to simulate the stainless cables to check the alignment on the workbench:

I also angled the conduit connectors to prevent interference with the valves for the cockpit drains as they will be in pretty close proximity.

Not really good for anything, but fun to push down the stairs.
rustypirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2016, 08:09   #2

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38
Re: Hagane Rebuild Update 12-20-2016

Impressive job. Nice welding.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2016, 06:29   #3

Boat: Bruce Roberts Offshore 38
Re: Hagane Rebuild Update 12-20-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleemus View Post
Impressive job. Nice welding.
Thanks, this project is giving me plenty of practice at both the welding and fabrication.

Not really good for anything, but fun to push down the stairs.
rustypirate is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rebuild