Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2010, 03:57   #1

Glassing-Over Hull / Deck Join

Instead of replacing the sealant within a leaking hull deck join would it be acceptable to glass over the join?

Are there any disadvantages to permanently sealing the hull to the deck in this way?

Could this be done from the inside to avoid removing the toe rail and spending hours fairing?

I apologise if this stuff is common knowledge but I have just bought my first boat.
E229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2010, 04:25   #2

Boat: Ericson 35
Yep that's what im doing, i took off the rub rail and filled the holes with Colloidal Silica thickened resin. Next im going to glass it from the inside.
Greenflash35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2010, 06:19   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Mine was done like that from the yard...I really cant see any reason why it would be a bad idea....You don’t have any plans of taking it apart anytime soon do you?
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2010, 06:42   #4

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
I plan to do the same this summer. It's the last of a long drawn out project. 30 years of twisting, yawing combined with age has loosesn up the hull/deck joint allowing water to seep between the flanges during heavy rains. Then I plan to add a waterboard with a new T-track on top with extra fasteners staggered between the old ones.

So, yeah it's common for others or even manufacturers to seal up a joint!