Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2022, 16:45   #1

Boat: Columbia 10.7 1978
Gel coat pigment

So I am prepping for a gelcoat job.

I will attempt some color matching.

How long will the gelcoat last after mixing in pigments and BEFORE adding the catalyst. Does adding pigment lessen the shelf life of the gelcoat?

Thanks,

Moe
moegev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 17:22   #2

Re: Gel coat pigment

It should not change shelf life ! There is no catalyst in pigment, the only fly in the ointment is adding air to the mix of sealed containers! But that should not be an issue either unless you are taking hours to tint ! I have gel coat that I added pigment to that is 4-5 yrs old and I still use it with no problems !
mike d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 23:42   #3
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Gel coat pigment

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike d. View Post
It should not change shelf life ! There is no catalyst in pigment, the only fly in the ointment is adding air to the mix of sealed containers! But that should not be an issue either unless you are taking hours to tint ! I have gel coat that I added pigment to that is 4-5 yrs old and I still use it with no problems !

In any warm situation it will self Gel in 2 years in my situation anyway. I personally consider 1 year for tool quality gel.

The pigment will last a long time. The gel will not.
Old 04-10-2022, 04:28   #4

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389
Re: Gel coat pigment

Yes yes and yes. Open the can the click starts. Gel coat has two types. The key to gel coat is it can’t be exposed to oxygen. The gel coat you paint on has wax which will surface as the plastic cures.
Gel coat in a mould does not have curing wax.
Pigments effect curing time. Some by nature cause bubbles if stirred wrong. Pearls and metal flake will pull out of solution in minutes has no shelf life at all in terms of even mix. I plastic out of its airtight post production package absorbs water at an amazing rate.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men