Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2021, 08:54   #31

Boat: O'Day 40
Re: Galley countertops

+1 for stainless steel.

No problem with where to put a hot pan.
Old 10-03-2021, 09:16   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanFox View Post
I'm tackling a variety of project simultaneously on my boat, with weather, time, supplies, and unexpected issues dictating which I get to tackle on any given day.

My current focus is on the galley. I had to rip out everything so that I could retab the bulkheads to the hull. In the process I decided to take advantage of a blank slate and redesign the galley. I'm almost ready to start installing the stove and refrigerator and sink, but am stalled as I consider what material to use as the countertop. The original was formica over ply. Though I'm using formica to finish the insides of the cabinets and the bulkheads above the countertop (easy to clean!) I'd rather have something less utilitarian-looking for the countertop. I'm considering either a composite like corian, or butcherblock. Does anyone have either on their boat? I'm leaning towards butcherblock because it is inexpensive (I can get a 6' x 39" slab for $350) and easy to work with. My hesitation is how well it would hold up to the marine/boat environment. Any first-hand information gratefully received!
Butcher block tops are very cheap at IKEA. I bought one maybe 3-4 ft x 18" or something like that for $39 several years back. Not sure what they have now but you might check it out.
Butcher block will cut and stain, so it depends on how careful you want to be etc.

I have heard that Corian will break readily (from a Corian sales person many years ago). But I know people and builders have used it successfully, so not sure really.

I had tile done and liked it a lot. No problem with heat either.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 12:09   #33

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

You could always go with that pourable bartop epoxy with something cool under it like carbon fiber. It will scratch and is not great with heat.
Old 10-03-2021, 12:21   #34

Boat: Contrast 33

Some thoughts on Corian: While the usual counter material is 1/2" thick, it is also available in 1/4" for vertical surfaces. You might look into having the cut-outs (fridge lid, sink or stove cover) made out of the thinner, lighter material as long as you don't use those areas as your primary work surfaces. You'd have to shim then with 1/4" plywood backs to bring them flush with the rest of the counter, but it's certainly doable, and then those movable pieces are nearly half the weight they'd be out of 1/2" stock.
Peel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 12:28   #35

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48
Galley countertops

When we did a major refit on our galley over 20 years ago, we chose to have granite installed. Since then, we have completed an eight-and-a-half year circumnavigation and the countertops still look great. Despite the belief of some, the weight had no impact on our boat.

Fair winds and calm seas.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1570.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	465.6 KB
ID:	234400
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 12:41   #36

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl

I wonder if you could pour around a cutting board? Like having an inlaid cutting board, as large as you'd like. And then have the rest be decorative? Maybe 1 by the sink. 1 by the stove. Just a thought. It would be light weight, be inexpensive, and look great if you have the skills.
Gadagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 14:29   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

MY problem, and it is MY problem, is I do a lot of work in the galley.

As near as I can tell I have never made any makes in the Corian, it has marks but not from me working.

I see no point in installing a nice counter top only to beat it up again. Fortunatly my Wife is extremely tolerant of my antics.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 15:17   #38

Boat: 1978 PS Mariah 31, #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
MY problem, and it is MY problem, is I do a lot of work in the galley.

As near as I can tell I have never made any makes in the Corian, it has marks but not from me working.

I see no point in installing a nice counter top only to beat it up again. Fortunatly my Wife is extremely tolerant of my antics.

I agree, my starboard side countertop is my workshop at times. When I decide to refurbish the countertops, I think it’ll be Formica again, maybe butcher block. I do like Corian, but not sure how it’ll hold up in the galley countertop/workbench role.
LarryDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 17:05   #39

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhschneider View Post
When we did a major refit on our galley over 20 years ago, we chose to have granite installed. Since then, we have completed an eight-and-a-half year circumnavigation and the countertops still look great. Despite the belief of some, the weight had no impact on our boat.

Fair winds and calm seas.
Attachment 234400
looks very nice.

Also, if I were going to add weight to a countertop, I'd want it to be where yours is, which looks pretty close to the center of the cabin, as opposed to hard against the hull, where it's been on all the boats I've sailed, and where considerable additional weight might affect balance in the way littlewing (i think it was) suggested
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
DMF Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 19:00   #40

Boat: Jeanneau 41 DS

Granite for elegance, durability, natural look and variety....if not, corian. At first my concern was vibration an cracking of granite...but it looks from people posting that it is not a problem. All high end boat have granite.

Abe
sailingabe41ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2021, 07:43   #41

Boat: Boreal 52

We've been very happy with stainless steel galley tops....easy to keep clean, especially with integral sinks, and you can put hot things down on them without worry. And, they go well with brushed stainless steel appliances.

[IMG][/IMG]
svbravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2021, 07:49   #42

Boat: 1988 Sunward 48' Ketch

We have been full-time liveaboards for 6+ years, and we also went with granite 5 years ago. Cruising full-time for 3+ years now. Very happy with the granite thus far.
dlane1181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2021, 08:30   #43

Boat: Mariner 38 Pilot House

I went round and round debating what to replace my laminate countertops with and ultimately went with 1/4” corian over the base marine ply. Did some sanding, leveling and fairing after removing the old laminate. You don’t have to go crazy the silicone will do a good job of filling low spots.

Very happy with the finished product. You’ll need a trim router, selection of files, circular saw, hot glue gun, clamps and a corian adhesive gun. Cuts easily with high tooth count blades and polishing to different levels of shine are a breeze. Glue it down with high quality silicone.

It’s not the easiest product to source and I got mine from Hodges marine if I remember correctly. 96” sheet and I had it cut in half which reduced shipping costs and damage risk.
mcon12000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2021, 09:23   #44
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by svbravo View Post
We've been very happy with stainless steel galley tops....easy to keep clean, especially with integral sinks, and you can put hot things down on them without worry. And, they go well with brushed stainless steel appliances.

[IMG][/IMG]
Can not tell from photo but that looks like a custom sink/top.

Was it expensive?
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2021, 11:18   #45
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Roberts V495

Have laminate & butcher block aboard, like both.
- the butcher block has been marked by a hot pan, sanded her down
- butcher block is also beside our Dickinson diesel stove - after months of using the heater during the winter, one seam started to open....closed up again in spring.

No issues with water caused delamination, but the bb is finished with a food safe oil.
nofacey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
galley