Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2019, 14:41   #1

Boat: Custom built, 38 ft.
Fitting out a new boat

After a few years of work I'm wrapping up my boat build and I'm now looking at healthy bill to fit out the boat with lights, electrical, plumbing, windlass ect.

Boat is a fairly light monohull 39 ft built of ply epoxy.

My question is this, I am not a business just a home builder, however, does any one here know of a retailer or some other pathway to secure marine goods at less the retail pricing due to the large volume of items that will be ordered? Any leads would be appreciated.

Unfortunately, I live a 4 hours from the closest marine store so that rules out the local option.

Thanks
Mr. Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 14:47   #2

Re: Fitting out a new boat

Several of the mainline suppliers will offer a "outfitting" discount. Call and ask. I know for sure that Defender does.

Typically on orders greater than $5000...with some exclusions of course.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 14:53   #3

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

It might be too late now, but what I found effective was to make a list at the start of the refit (in my case) for all the bits that I needed and then I kept a lookout for the stuff at either clearance or heavily discounted pricing, and even decent secondhand stuff in some cases. By the end of the job, the savings had added up.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 15:43   #4

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Matt View Post
After a few years of work I'm wrapping up my boat build and I'm now looking at healthy bill to fit out the boat with lights, electrical, plumbing, windlass ect.

My question is this, I am not a business just a home builder, however, does any one here know of a retailer or some other pathway to secure marine goods at less the retail pricing due to the large volume of items that will be ordered? Any leads would be appreciated.

Unfortunately, I live a 4 hours from the closest marine store so that rules out the local option.

Thanks
Where are you located?

Teaming up with others can also help reduce cost. I'm in the same stage as you.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 15:54   #5

Boat: Outbound 44

Try
https://www.defender.com/outfitter.jsp
Old 02-12-2019, 16:37   #6

You’re looking to do things economically it sounds. Don’t buy anything new. Rely on eBay and OfferUp and other listings.
mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 17:02   #7

I've been shopping sales and looking for used goods when possible and buying things when the price seems right. However, I'm when I add up the time it takes to purchase everything to outfit a boat piecemeal in that manner its a huge time suck.

Its not that I'm trying to be cheap, but efficient with the funds. That being said, I am happy to pay for quality. I've always believed that you buy nice or buy twice.

Thanks for 'outfitter' the link. I'll drop them a message and see where it goes.

Hey Chotu, I'm in North Central Washington State.
Old 02-12-2019, 23:54   #8

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

I agree with makobuilders 100%

I live 140km away from all the chandlers in the city/port (Perth West Aust) so I buy a huge amount of gear on eBay. That certainly beats running around in my car from store to store and saves an enormous amount of time.

Instrumentation - gauges, pressure switches etc
cable/terminals/switch/fuse panels, lighting
pumps, blowers, hose, ducting, vents.
batteries, lugs, relays, isolator switches
Stainless screws, bolts, nut, washers.
Measuring vials, disposable brushes, abrasives.
drills, hole saws, burrs, putty knives
masking tape, velcro.
ss latches/barrel bolts,hinges

But I have to get my ply, SS angle and flat bar, laminex/formica/melamine, f/g resin, glass and epoxy from Perth

After a day's work it is nice to sit down at the computer see what's on offer, compare prices and place an order.
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 10:12   #9

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Check out NTE. It's a French company that makes high end electronics and they have a complete cruising package that includes the NK2 trunk for about 7 grand. Not cheap I know but they're expected to be the next B&G in the boating industry in terms of quality and at least you'd know that everything was compatible. B&G was recently bought out and there's some concern that the new owners might ride the name and reduce the quality in pursuit of higher profits. We probably won't know for sure until a couple of years have passed but it is a concern.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 11:35   #10
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Matt View Post

Thanks
I don't work for West Marine but note that they have a West Advantage New Boat Owner Program and an Outfitting Program (2015-2016 catalog). The latter is an 11% saving on qualified stuff of $2500 or more in a single transaction. However, most would agree that their prices are higher to begin with but I have been able to get some good deals during their bigger sales...that takes some patience and effort. Contact them for their current program details.

Overall, I have found that many retailers have a good buy once in a while but no retailer has the best price on everything you need. You can't beat developing you list of parts make/model numbers and then just biting-the-bullet doing Internet searches to locate the best deal taking sales taxes and shipping into consideration. Finding a retailer that would match prices would be to your benefit.

Good Luck.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 11:55   #11

Sailing services in miami Florida USA can help with the lights, windless, standing and running rigging. They don’t carry plumbing or wire.
JC Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 14:11   #12

Boat: Volkscruiser

I did exactly the same Coopec43 except at smoko time I would get the iPad out and look through the latest offerings. I struck gold when a boating company went out of business and I managed to purchase a large part of there stock. I then sold what I didn’t want.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 16:04   #13

Boat: Union cutter 33

Cheap ,,,goodluck I’m three quarters threw a refit on a 32ft boat and just passed 60 grand mark ,,,new sails ,rigging ,electronics ,retiring boat new panels ,solar arch ,watermaker and on and on
rosatte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 20:15   #14

Thanks for the additional leads.

I have a running joke with the local UPS delivery guy. A couple of years ago he started running all the big boxes straight to the boat shed instead of the house...

It helps to hear that I'm not the only one piecing things together one or two items at a time. Seems like the best plan will be to get a single large purchase in with one supplier including the mission critical stuff to keep costs down and then keep picking up items as they go on sale, or when I can find good used equipment on ebay.

Cheers,
Old 03-12-2019, 20:32   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelhemington View Post
Check out NTE. It's a French company that makes high end electronics and they have a complete cruising package that includes the NK2 trunk for about 7 grand. Not cheap I know but they're expected to be the next B&G in the boating industry in terms of quality and at least you'd know that everything was compatible. B&G was recently bought out and there's some concern that the new owners might ride the name and reduce the quality in pursuit of higher profits. We probably won't know for sure until a couple of years have passed but it is a concern.
Thanks for the heads up. I haven't heard about this company before. Sure seems like they are producing a full line of quality gear. At this point my goal is to get the boat floating and sailing, then I'll shift into looking at getting some of the more sophisticated electronics onboard.

Tags
boat, new boat