Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2024, 14:47   #1

Finding deck leaks

I've had some types of leaks that I suspect are deck-related. The boat is on the hard so I have to periodically trundle off to the yard to turn on the roofer's pump I have stuck in the bilge to drain it.

What is the most effective technique for finding the leaks? I've read about sticking an electric leaf blower into a companionway slat (obviously one made for this purpose) to pressurize the boat's interior. Then use a soap solution (don't know the proportion of soap to water) that is applied either through a spray bottle or paintbrush. Since there's a lot of area to cover on a 30 foot boat, any advice on a better way to go about this would be much appreciated!
nestorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2024, 15:57   #2

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Re: Finding deck leaks

What is the boat constructed of - wood, steel.....?

What about getting someone to hose water the deck while you are inside? (Pay particular attention to any hatches/windows)

What design is the boat?
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2024, 06:18   #3

It's an Islander 30 Bahama sloop with fiberglass hull. I'll add your hose water suggestion to my to-do list! Thanks

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/bahama-30-islander/

(Mine has a Yanmar engine)
nestorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2024, 07:35   #4

Boat: Ovni 37 Sonate

I have to say- I kind of like the leaf-blower idea! Never heard that one. Seems like a great idea to me and less destructive.

Be aware the boat likely has a plywood deck core: so water intrusion under a stanchion or sail track.. etc. will need some repair to be structurally sound again.

A friend of mine had a couple very pesky small leaks and used "water damns" stuck down with tacky tape (plastic cups usually- though the sail track ones were cheap pine strips) and he filled the dammed area with food colored water.

This allowed him to know exactly what was leaking down below. Sail tracks where one color. Stanchion bases used all sorts of colors to identify which individual one leaked. Chainplates were green if I remember right.. haha
Old 08-04-2024, 18:16   #5

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

You said the deck was f/g. Do you mean solid f/g>

But if it is cored then water could leak through (say) the Starboard hand rail mounting and then migrate and exit some distance away
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck, leaks