Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2012, 17:15   #1

Boat: Moody 42
Re: Finally got the specifications of sea cocks from Beneteau. Unbeliveble

Both Blakes and Sparton are using true Bronze and of good quality. I would love to find a nickel aluminum bronze or titanium seacock, but alas I work for one of the two companies that dominate the military and offshore oil and gas industry supplying valves for sea water service, but ships and platforms don't use seacoks, but rather a sea chest. I may well replace my old Blakes with NAB ball valves on good bronze thru hulls as I can get them at cost with any threads I want. Still these are very expensive even when compared to the Spartons and Blakes. I've yet to find NAB thru hulls although I've been able to source titanium. We also manufacture titanium valves, but these are still very expensive as casting is expensive (Vacuum) as it is a reactive metal. Thru hulls I'm assuming are forged or cut from bar and are getting fairly cost effective at this point, but sadly not the valves. I'm talking about well over $500 for an 1 1/2" in small quantities.
It is hard to believe builders are using brass rather than composite if cost cutting is of concern. By the way be very careful with Apollo as I believe their bronze body ball valves are standard with a chrome plated brass ball. If you go with Apollo at least order with a 316 SS ball.
Sailorman375 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau