Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2009, 13:24   #1

fein tool

Our new (to us) boat has teak decks and some of the caulked seams are getting a bit old and crumbly. A few weeks ago I stripped out and re-caulked two of the worst seams. I hand stripped the seams using a small old wood carver's chisel. The end results are good but stripping the old caulk out was very time consuming and back-breaking. I shudder to think of the pain to complete the rest of the deck. I have heard that a Fein MultiMaster tool with the right bit will make this job much easier but they are very expensive and I want to make sure that's what I want before I buy it. I was wondering if anyone in the San Francisco East Bay (Alameda) has a Fein tool that I could look at, and maybe try a bit. I could remove one of my hatches and bring it for trying it out on.

Cheers,
Carolynn
SanSailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 15:12   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
I can't help in the demo end since I'm in Florida. However, a couple of friends just replaced the caulking in the decks of their Hans Christian using the Multimaster. I don't have teak decks but the Cabo Rico has about half its weight in teak it seems to me. I also have a Multimaster and despite the money, love it.

A couple of things. First, they sell three different fittings for removing caulk so try to get the right size if you decide to get one. Second, they make a nifty little saw blade attachment that is very good at getting newly replaced bungs cleaned up. Thirdly, they have several sanding attachments that use velcro backed sandpaper. The paper is rather expensive although one can shop around on the net for some deals. The other method is to just buy local sandpaper with a velcro backing and cut out your own. Fourthly, when used in sanding mode with the velcro based paper, set the speed to its lowest. If you don't, you'll quickly melt the hooks on the paper holder due to friction. Besides, for sanding it seems to work better at low speed. Regardless, you will go through a couple or three of the sandpaper bases.

Hope this helps,

Rich
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 15:20   #3

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Carolyn,

Have you tried making a "rake-out" tool from an old metal file. Cut the tang to the width of the seams, heat the tang red-hot, and bend it back on itself about 160 degrees, Grind a chisel edge on the outer face of the hook. The length of the file allows you to accurately control the pull of the tool. Did the teak decks on my 41ft like this. It works great.
Blue Stocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 15:43   #4

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Hi San! Check this out! I've got one (was 39.99 on sale) and it works pretty darn good! Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 15:52   #5
Eternal Member

I'll have to check into that Christian,

Dremel also has a knock of design of the Fein for about $100. I looked at it and the motor weighs half as much. I figure OK for small jobs but not for what I do. I'll have to go look. Thanks

Rich
Old 03-02-2009, 12:48   #6

Thanks everyone for the great replies!

Rich: Thanks for the MultiMaster tips. How cruicial is getting the right blade width? My seams are all slightly different widths and some of them vary in width on the same seam. (It looks like that was the intent, the seams narrow toward the bow and around hatches, it looks better than it I'm making it sounds). I was figuring I was going to base the blade width on the narrowest seam and have to go over the wider seams in several passes. Will this work?

Blue Stocking: I've heard about making a rake out tool, it would be great if someone had a picture of one. Do you think I could make one with a screwdriver instead? It seems that the handle would make it more comfortable to work with.

Christian: Do you know if the Harbor Freight tool has a teak stripper attachment or something that would work? The price is definitely easier to swallow :-)

Cheers,
Carolynn
Old 03-02-2009, 13:43   #7
Eternal Member

Carolynn,

I avoided teak decks like the plague so I can't say for sure. I suspect, based upon my friends experience, that they are "supposed" to be the same width. In any event, if memory serves, Fein has three widths. You might look at the Jamestown Distributor website for dimensions and then do some web shopping to find the best price.

The only concern I would have over the Harbor Freight knock off is its stamina compared to the Fein. Dremel also has a knock off now selling for $100 at Lowe's but when I picked it up the weight, i.e., the motor, was half of the Fein.

As to using the Fein stripping tool with the knock off's, I don't see why not. They all attach in the same manner with a single bolt.

Good luck, I don't envy you. My friends worked on that project FOREVER, but I must admit it turned out nicely. Meanwhile I came home from working on the boat to repair the water softener and the clothes dryer. A new circuit board for one and a new motor for the other. I'll bet if I lived in a pup tent I'd be constantly fixing something.

Rich
Old 03-02-2009, 13:53   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabo_sailor View Post

I came home from working on the boat to repair the water softener and the clothes dryer. A new circuit board for one and a new motor for the other. I'll bet if I lived in a pup tent I'd be constantly fixing something.

Rich
Cabo, a house is just a VERY poorly built boat!

Sans, get more info on which blades where used. Jamestown Distributors has all the multimaster blades, and I cant find anything labeled "TeakStripper"...

Old 03-02-2009, 15:54   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
I'd let you check mine out but I won't be back to the boat till April. If you can wait that long, keep in touch. I'm at Fortman's.

Aloha
Peter O.
roverhiatyahoodotcom
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 16:23   #10

Boat: Golden Gate 30, Westerly 23
SanSailor:
I gave a fein tool to my buddy Rob for helping me replace my thru-hulls last summer. He loved it but his apprentice killed it. I'll check with him to see if he got another or if he can reccomend it for teak decks (he's a pro so would know).
John
Oakland Yacht Club
Old 03-02-2009, 17:51   #11

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
To remove deck seam caulking on needs to cut away both vertical edges, and the bottom horizontal bond. I'm curious, how do you do this with an oscillating tool. I have used the electric iron used for tyre re-grooving on clear open deck spaces.
Carolyn--I am trying to find an illustration for you, I know a back issue of Wooden boat has shown them. Mods, do you have any thing in the treasury on info you possess?
Blue Stocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 18:05   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Passport 47 CC
Send a message via Yahoo to SV Someday Came
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Van H View Post
Hi San! Check this out! I've got one (was 39.99 on sale) and it works pretty darn good! Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices
Christian:

Have you used a Fein as well as the tool in the link above?

Michael
SV Someday Came is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 18:35   #13

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
My favorite accesory is the "fingernail" carbide piece. You can use it to "carve" wood, fiberglass, epoxy putty, do things that would be otherwise very difficult on your body.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 18:56   #14

Neg, only the cheapo. You can but 5-8 of 'em for the price of one fein rig though...

Old 04-02-2009, 12:05   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
I'd let you check mine out but I won't be back to the boat till April. If you can wait that long, keep in touch. I'm at Fortman's.

Aloha
Peter O.
roverhiatyahoodotcom
Hey Peter, this is Carolynn (Aaron's friend) over at Grand. Maybe I'll wait until April and dingy over to you Are you going to be around for Strictly Sail?