Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-02-2024, 07:08   #1

Boat: Boréal 47
Exterior window tinting - what to use?

S/V Type Eau came with tint film (about 80% transmission) applied on the OUTSIDE on all acrylic and glass windows. I have removed the old film (badly discolored and peeling).

I think that the film was applied to the outside to minimize crazing in the acrylic AND protect the Sikka adhesive holding the glass in place.

I am now ready to replace but documentation is very poor when it comes to exterior applications. Cars are done on the inside and architectural film (outside) is not suitable (too dark or patterned).

What product can I use (outside) that will be compatible with acrylic and glass and last 5-7 years?
fredct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2024, 20:55   #2

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Re: Exterior window tinting - what to use?

Have you considered rain diverters (shields)? Maybe a bit expensive but they allow you to keep windows open even in a tropical downpour.
coopec43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2024, 23:08   #3

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Hi, I went with a film on the outside that is regularly used in the automotive industry, white with lots of small holes that allow light and vision out but greatly restrict vision in, only tried it on one window and am happy enough with it do now do the rest of them.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 05:06   #4

Boat: Boréal 47

Cooper: Not sure I understand what you are talking about. The acrylic I need to protect is on hatches. When it rains, we close them. This is strictly about UV and IR protection.

Bob: I want as clear as possible since. I will look into it though for the doghouse.
fredct is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind