Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2020, 22:09   #16

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Dorade vent ideas

We've had dorades on all our boats. Only problem we ever had was when we were knocked down, and water came in one of them because it was submerged. I got a towel shoved in it straight away. No leaks, rot and mold whatsoever in normal use. They needent look like sewer vents, clean old plastic with acetone, treat with Armor All. No worries, mate.

Don C L's post, wherein he recommends one low bar to protect both dorades should do the trick for the OP.

Ann

Ann
Old 10-04-2020, 23:09   #17

Boat: Farr 43`

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
They needent look like sewer vents, clean old plastic with acetone, treat with Armor All. No worries, mate.

Ann
Alternately - heat gun and olive oil. Restores polyethylene to factory condition with a loooong service interval.
Rucksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 23:27   #18

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
We've had dorades on all our boats. Only problem we ever had was when we were knocked down, and water came in one of them because it was submerged. I got a towel shoved in it straight away. No leaks, rot and mold whatsoever in normal use. They needent look like sewer vents, clean old plastic with acetone, treat with Armor All. No worries, mate.

Don C L's post, wherein he recommends one low bar to protect both dorades should do the trick for the OP.

Ann

Ann

Ann

I didn't like he idea of being out on deck at night in a gale removing dorade vents and capping the dorade box.

Instead I took Jim Skoog's advice (Cruising in Comfort) and installed inspection ports under each vent so I can close off the vent from inside the yacht. If I lose a cowl vent overboard so be it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2020-04-11 deck poly screw vent caps - Google Search(1).png
Views:	41
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	212539  
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote