Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2018, 05:05   #61
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Do stoves need to be gimballed on a mono

You can cruise with or without gimballs.. just need to adapt your cooking style..
Non gimballed prep everything first then start cooking and stay at the stove adding the bits to your pan as and when.. boiling a kettle just put in enough water for what you need... its not difficult.. certainly not impossible as some seem to claim.. unless you plan on banging into the seas as hard and fast as you can..
Just ease off or heave to for your meal and eat in comfort as opposed to sitting in the cockpit watching the wind whip the food off your plate..
If your planning on long cooking times then go gimballed.. but honestly a good hearty and tasty meal can be whipped up in 20 to 30 minutes.. one pot or two.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2018, 05:47   #62
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Re: Do stoves need to be gimballed on a mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
.. but honestly a good hearty and tasty meal can be whipped up in 20 to 30 minutes.. one pot or two.
Less than 10 in a pressure cooker tied down to the cooker.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2018, 05:50   #63
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Do stoves need to be gimballed on a mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
Less than 10 in a pressure cooker tied down to the cooker.
Not possible on some of the one burner camping stoves I have had to make do with sometimes..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2018, 06:17   #64

Boat: Bruce Roberts Mauritius 43'

We would like to thank everyone for your comments and advice. You have given us a huge amount of information to digest. My first experience with our gimballed stove was just after we bought our boat. I was exploring, the lock was not on, and I opened the oven door and the stove tipped, I thought this to be quite dangerous. As we are replacing the stove and couldn't find a new gimballed one in Australia the size we need we got one that wasn't gimballed. With my recent experience I felt it would be sensible to research why it was so important to have gimbals. I think we can sit down and make a well informed decision now. Thank you again to everyone.
Kevin and Crew
Just Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2018, 08:38   #65

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuss View Post
it's possible to cook on a boat with gimbals and also without... but a microwave with rotating plate almost never works unless the sea is flat calm.

This device is desiged to work in a flat, non moving kitchen and definitely not on a boat.

It does not work on a heel, not at all. food to hot, frozen cold all in the same mouthful.

The only sort of microwave that works at sea is a flatbed inverter style such as a Panasonic NN-CF model.

Take the microwave out....Its absolutely not suitable, get yourself a flatbed one.

no wonder you're going on about gimbals!
Well, I've been using it for 9 years and tens of thousands of miles! . It's used far more than the propane stove.

It certainly does work on a heel, but it would work much better with gimbals. You have to take the rotating glass plate out at a certain point.

Next boat will have combined microwave and convection oven, under the cook top. On gimbals.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 12:18   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Awesome View Post
Hi old son with a comment like yours I feel it's time you stopped being on this type of forum. As it is my belief that this was set up so people like me can ask this kind of question.
As for sea time I have got plenty after 10 years in the navy. We didn't have gambled stoves. We also had sandwiches in rough weather.
Just Awesome, thank you for starting this thread- it has been my favorite in quite a while. I previously assumed that the need for a gimballed stove was obvious but I learned a ton of new insight.

The unhelpful quote you mentioned touches on an attitude that can be found in a big marina near me. There is a rickety old yacht club where the old salts sit on a balcony and bark "advice" to the ASA sailing school students below. None of it is really intended to be useful, but to demonstrate that these new sailors have a lot to learn before they could ever be in the "club". It's sort of a sport similar to hazing, I suppose. Happily, this forum is (mostly) filled with the other sort of people- helpful sailors who are quite generous with advice. I, for one, am grateful.
cyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 12:29   #67

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Awesome View Post
We would like to thank everyone for your comments and advice. You have given us a huge amount of information to digest. My first experience with our gimballed stove was just after we bought our boat. I was exploring, the lock was not on, and I opened the oven door and the stove tipped, I thought this to be quite dangerous. As we are replacing the stove and couldn't find a new gimballed one in Australia the size we need we got one that wasn't gimballed. With my recent experience I felt it would be sensible to research why it was so important to have gimbals. I think we can sit down and make a well informed decision now. Thank you again to everyone.
Kevin and Crew
Just to reinforce this point, I think a gimballed stove is great on a monohull, but most of the time mine in the locked-straight position. I would not want a gimballed stove that could not be locked in place.

Tags
stove