Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-06-2016, 09:03   #1

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38
DIY rudder repair

My BF is in San Carlos visiting our new to us CL 38 offshore. When we purchased it in May the boat had been out of the water about a month. Alan Smith surveyed for us.

We noted at the time of purchase that the rudder had some minor water ingress and a spot of delamination along the port side. Alan concurred and gave us a minor tutorial on fixing the problem. To all concerned the issue was minor.

Now that the boat has been outbof the water for 2 months the problem is obviously larger than anyone knew. There is significant delamination on both sides of the rudder.

Anyway, I found the videos by Boat Works and the process seems overwhelming to me.
Im wondering if this repair is something we should consider doing our selves. We are both mechanical but not as good with finish work.

Have you rebuilt your rudder? Was the process straight forward? Is this something that is easy to screw up?

I hope to have pictures later today. Ill post back when I get them.

Oh boy...here we go! Welcome to the glamorous life of the boat owner!
Sea Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rudder