Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2006, 06:29   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Amanda Faye 61' Custom Irwin aftcockpit ketch
Diesel tank material

I have a extra tank that is left over from the hot tub that I would like to convert for diesel fuel. My guess is that it is about 200 gallons which would give me about 450 gallons of fuel. I think that the tank was made by basicly glassing a top over the ribs. Is fiberglass something used for diesel?
Old 13-01-2006, 06:50   #2
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
Appropriately compounded fibreglass is OK for mineral diesel but not for bio-diesel or any fuel mixture containing ethanol or methanol as it breaks down the glass and creates sludge.
I would tread very carefully using an integral tank for fuel in anything but a steel or aluminum hull. Have you considered/is it possible to install a bladder tank inside the original tank?
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2006, 07:38   #3

Gunner,

Many boats have integral fiberglass fuel tanks including mine. I have no problems at all so far.
By Invitation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2006, 07:41   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
As pwederell said, I’d ”... tread very carefully ...” in converting an FRG Hot Tub to fuel tankage.

I'm certain By Invitation's integral fuel tankage is not a home-brew conversion from a totally different application.

Non-Metallic materials, such as Fibreglass, are acceptable for Diesel Fuel Tanks; however all other requirements (*1) must also be met. This can be problematic with DIY constructions - even the Pro’s avoid FRG fuel tankage.

(*1) Fuel Tank Requirements include: Chemical Corrosion Resistance, Fire Resistance, Mechanical Strength, Pressure-Impulse Resistance, Slosh Resistance, Backflow Resistance, etc.
Refer to ABYC Standard 'H-33' for details

See also CFR Title 46:
“Title 46 - PART 182 - MACHINERY INSTALLATION”
http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/w...cfr182_98.html
Specifically: 182.440 Diesel fuel tanks.
and
“Title 46 - PART 58 - MAIN AND AUXILIARY MACHINERY AND RELATED SYSTEMS”
http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/w...6cfr58_04.html
Specifically: 58.50-10 Diesel fuel ta[i]nks.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2006, 09:20   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Where bladder tanks?
Old 13-01-2006, 12:03   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
I second of third or where ever I come in line, the use of a bladder tank inside. You only ever need one small hairline crack to start a multitude of future headaches. Once material has been contaminated by fuel oil, it is impossible to totally clean. If you ever needed to do a repair in that area in the future, it would mean a major chop and rebuild of the material, not just a patchup.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2006, 13:21   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I am trying to contact the shipwrite in Canada that did the rebuild to see if he would use it as a fuel tank. This is not a "home brewed" system, it was very well done and maybe something I can make work. We will see. I spent the morning taking the area apart so I could see what I have to work with. It looks promising but I want to make sure that it can handle this new use.
Old 13-01-2006, 17:30   #8

Boat: caliber 40lrc Soul Searcher
I,m new here So Hello!
I have a little bit of expieriance with frp fuel tanks. My sail boat has glass tanks built in I don't have alot of time with it but the previous owner nor I have expierianced any fuel problems.
The boat that I run for a living has an integral 1000 gal fuel tank built out of frp. In over 10000 hours of operation I have never had a fuel related problem or failure the hull is fiber glass and the vessle is coast guard inspected and certified for 49 passengers.
My expieriance with that tank was one of the selling points that brought me to my sail boat. the advantages are clear No electrolysis, no corosion. It's been my expieriance that most fuel tanks rot from the outside in . I think frp tanks are a great solution. If that tank held 450 gallons of water it sould be plenty strong enough. I would however like to know if the insides were coated with a different material to elimanate the smell or taste of straight frp. The water tanks in my sail boat are also glass and integral but they used a different resin or coating so the water wouldnt taste bad.

Old 13-01-2006, 17:50   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I agree that if it held that much water is should be strong enough for fuel. What I need to find out is the tank baffeled? Does it have the right fill fittings? Now that I have the tank somewhat exposed it looks like the fittings are nylon. And the most important thing is can the tank hold up to diesel fuel. Also if I understand the requirements from the links Gord posted, this tank should be fine. Now I need to verify.
Old 13-01-2006, 18:11   #10
Kai Nui

One important point made by GORD is that Bio diesel, and other such fuels will be a problem. THese fuels are becoming more common, and if you intend to keep the boat for a long period of time, may become an issue. As the need dictates, we will be seeing allot more alternative fuels, and allot less conventional fuels. Back in the 70's. Gas-ahol was prevelant in the area that I lived. In fact, that was about all you could find. This fuel caused the early demise of engines in two cars that my family had. We deduced this because we had no problems with engine failure on these or other vehicles before or since. Gas engines designed before the introduction of unleaded gas have suffered greatly due to the lack of lubrication provided by the lead. You have a chance to prepare for such changes ahead of time. I would go with a bladder tank.
Old 13-01-2006, 19:17   #11

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Here is an artical that should be read first!

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:-Y5VzMx8k_sJ:http://www.practical-sailor.com/news...hl=en&ie=UTF-8

................_/)

[http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache...hl=en&ie=UTF-8]

Copy this link above if the top one doesn't work.
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2006, 20:25   #12
Kai Nui

Well, based on that website, IF you can get the specs you need, and IF the tank you have meets the thickness requirements, and IF you can add baffles, and IF there is sufficient space and access to add the required venting etc, and IF all this is cost effective, it might be an option. I still stand by my preference of a bladder tank for this application. If for no other reason, the concern over new fuels.
Old 14-01-2006, 15:19   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I spent time looking this tank over today and it looks very promising. I think it has many baffles, I can stand on it with minimal flex so it is quite strong. I will need to cut a access panel in it and add a draw pipe and take out the 2 plactic valves that are on the bottom of the tank. this thing is huge and it would be a waste not to use it. I am waiting for a reply from the guy that built the tank to see what he thinks about the idea. I also need to find out if PVC or CPVC can me used with diesel fuel. I plan to change most of the ports with metal but a couple will be hard to get at.
Old 14-01-2006, 22:09   #14

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
If there is the slightest possibilty you may use Biodiesel, you may want to read this document. Especially the part that talks about compatible materials.

Whatever holds up to biodiesel would hold up the the regular diesel......_/)

Biodiesel: use & handleing
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2006, 22:27   #15

Thanks delmarrey.

That link you posted, was a interesting one. I've added that PDF file to my library of PDF files. Very nice.

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel