Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2023, 18:41   #1

Boat: 1984 Nor'Sea27
Compass card that alternates red, blue, green, black each 90 deg? PlastimoContest101?

I need to replace my bulkhead compass (old plath with globe of 5.5 inch dia.)

I recall being on a boat witch had a compass that alternated green, red, black, blue card color every 90deg. If anyone knows of brands-models please suggest them.

I found the Plastimo 101 "TACTICAL" model.
https://nautos-usa.com/products/cont...64425-plastimo
It has this multi color card and it could very well have been that compass. That said I would have done the numbering WAY different. The wording implies that the lubber lines are anchored to globe not gimbled with the card. I have always owned gimbled (aka balanced or counterweighted) lubber lines. I am also eager to hear opinions on this... kinda... in a middle-age effort to be open minded.
cadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 18:44   #2

Re: Compass card that alternates red, blue, green, black each 90 deg? PlastimoContest

Let me add, i do not need someone to suggest a digital compass of any sort. I know they exist, thanks. I see this mentioned every time someone on this forum discusses a compass... a quite proven and reliable tool that needs no genset or wind turbine. Rube Goldberg would giggle in his grave that someone might suggest such a compass.
Old 07-03-2023, 07:56   #3

Boat: Other people's boats
Re: Compass card that alternates red, blue, green, black each 90 deg? PlastimoContest

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadmus View Post
The wording implies that the lubber lines are anchored to globe not gimbled with the card. I have always owned gimbled (aka balanced or counterweighted) lubber lines. I am also eager to hear opinions on this... kinda... in a middle-age effort to be open minded.
I saw somewhere else mention that the lubber lines were also used for the angle of heel indicator, and thus could tilt. The picture of that Plastimo model suggests that's how it's designed. Perhaps you can contact them to confirm?

What's the purpose of the coloration and tactical numbering? Unless you are intending to use that numbering, it seems like it might be confusing or inconvenient, especially if you're sitting in a position where you can only easily see the vertical portion of the card.
requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 08:02   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by requiem View Post
What's the purpose of the coloration and tactical numbering? Unless you are intending to use that numbering, it seems like it might be confusing or inconvenient, especially if you're sitting in a position where you can only easily see the vertical portion of the card.

I agree that the numbering is terrible. I was sad to see that when i found that product.

I am a big fan of the colors. Easy to remember what quadrant is in what color. Split second in the corner of an eye a course direction is obvious. I like the color. The numbering is not helpful... must be a racergofast thing.
Old 07-03-2023, 08:05   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by requiem View Post
I saw somewhere else mention that the lubber lines were also used for the angle of heel indicator, and thus could tilt. The picture of that Plastimo model suggests that's how it's designed. Perhaps you can contact them to confirm?
I am hoping you are right and am finding several things to suggest that.

Tags
compass, plastimo