Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2024, 14:56   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Chipboard in boats

I know this is going to be controversial...I'm looking for people with real life experience with this. My naval architect tells me an chipboard on a boat will bloat and it cannot be used on boats...I'm thinking of using IKEA furniture where it fits and this is mostly chipboard...Note, I'm talking inside and non-structural. Not exposed to weather in any way.

My reasoning is that modern boats are dry inside, a bilge needs to be dusted, not pumped out. Humidity is sure higher than in a house, but a bathroom is probably worse if you take daily long hot showers a normal bathroom furniture is chipboard as well.

My real life experience is using cheap plywood (far from marine grade) and chipboard in the cabin. Both held up fine for years, no sign of deterioration. No sign of mould or bloating. Has anyone else used chipboard with (or without) success?
barnab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2024, 15:06   #2

Boat: 1999 Hunter 410
Re: Chipboard in boats

Well, I think it's fine for a boat that doesn't go out and is possibly just a live aboard.
Structural integrity would be my concern underway. It needs to be really solid.
Windpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2024, 15:10   #3

Boat: Tayana 48DS 48'

Chip board is heavy, relatively strong and VERY vulnerable to moisture. If you are sure you can keep it dry, then go ahead and use it.
Hartleyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2024, 15:15   #4

Boat: 1999 Hunter 410

Also keep in mind drawers and cabinets need to be able to lock, otherwise everything with spill out underway.
It's really depends on your plan.
Windpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2024, 15:42   #5

Boat: Volkscruiser

Barnab I think you mean MDF, chipboard is usually a flooring material here in Australia. I have repaired two boats with MDF interiors. Its wonderful stuff, we literally just punched and kicked out the interior. Soggy Weetbix is what is was after it had been submerged. The first boat was a yacht that had sunk and no idea why it had such a bad interior. The second boat was a trailer power boat that had been stored bow down. The whole 12 inches where the water sat had expanded and was just mush.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2024, 16:34   #6

If I saw chipboard used in a boat that I was considering buying, that would be the end of the conversation. Next boat, please.

The ONLY reason for using it is it is cheap. In every other measure I can think of it is a absolutely terrible boatbuilding material.

I am guessing you have relatively little boating experience if you really believe that a boat cabin is not a humid environment. I have lived on boats for 25 years, and I can assure you that is not even remotely true.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2024, 18:18   #7

Boat: Sabre 402

It's a boat. It WILL be wet. PLYWOOD in a boat's interior gets wet and delaminates -- which I know from experience. Your chipboard will soak up water like a sponge -- even if just from the humidity -- and blow off or crack all the pretty laminate coverings when it swells. Nothing will open properly or stay square.Your NA is very right.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2024, 02:27   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

“The stories behind our wood-based products” ~ IKEA
https://www.ikea.com/global/en/our-b...nd-innovation/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikea
“... In FY23, our products contained lots of different and efficient ways of using virgin and recycled wood material. Particle board, a strong composite material, represents approximately half of all the wood-based material used in our products in FY23 ...”

Particle board [AKA: ‘chipboard’] is an engineered wood product, that is pressed and extruded, from wood chips, and a synthetic resin binder. Particle board is frequently confused with oriented strand board, a different type of fiberboard, that is stronger and uses machined wood flakes.
As noted, because of it’s low cost, chipboard is often used for sub-flooring, or as the foundation for carpet, or other flooring surfaces.

Medium Density Fiberboard [AKA: ‘MDF’] is a man-made wood material. It is obtained by compressing wood fibers, with resin and glue, and pressing under very high temperature, and pressure.

Chipboard has a higher screw holding capacity, compared to MDF, so it is preferred for furniture that is assembled using [special] screws.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2024, 03:24   #9

Boat: J/88

Not that I want particle board or MDF in my boat, but the principal advantage of these products is their dimensional stability for application of durable coatings/finishes. The most abrasion resistant finishes are not flexible and will therefore not remain on dimensionally dynamic products like solid wood and plywood.
Old 12-05-2024, 03:31   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingHarmonie View Post
If I saw chipboard used in a boat that I was considering buying, that would be the end of the conversation. Next boat, please.

. . .

I am guessing you have relatively little boating experience if you really believe that a boat cabin is not a humid environment. I have lived on boats for 25 years, and I can assure you that is not even remotely true.

Amen. Plywood on a boat is bad enough.

For anyone who needs convincing about the high levels of humidity inside any boat -- just check your salt shakers.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2024, 03:47   #11

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

Well, you asked for real life experience.
My first 'large' boat but a ferro cement one, and cheap. I sailed thousands of miles in that one and..... all boards under the bunks were chipboard, and they were never varnished, painted or sealed. And no, they were not swollen, except in 2 or 3 spots ie 5-10 cm across.
The saloon table and the galley top were also made out chipboard, with formica tops and timber edges, but......the under sides were very flakey and chips coming off when rubbing it, but painting stopped that. I had that boat for nearly 20 years, and it was built 20 years prior to that.

Having said all that, I would never use any chipboard or MDF on a boat. Even plywood can absorb water when not sealed.

Tags
boat, Boats