Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2021, 19:35   #31

Boat: Jeanneau 41 DS
Re: Buying Chinese Goods on eBay!!

Chinese and Goods do not belong in the same sentence. It is an oxymoron.

Abe
sailingabe41ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 19:36   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingabe41ds View Post
Chinese and Goods do not belong in the same sentence. It is an oxymoron.

Abe

If you have a computer and are online, you are also a consumer and user of Chinese-made goods.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 19:52   #33

I do not buy China unless there is no other alternative. They do not play fair so I am not going to send them my money. I apply this rule on everything I buy.
B_Hunter45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 04:59   #34

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Cultural/political differences aside, I'm expecting that China might follow Japan's manufacturing footsteps - they will move from "cheap" to "quality" as their own design capabilities improve and they start going head-to-head with western brands.

To some extent, they already have. There's plenty of good stuff made in China (a lot being made for non-Chinese brands though). But they're also really good at making poor quality stuff cheaper than anyone else can, which is why there's so much of it out there.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 07:47   #35

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Cultural/political differences aside, I'm expecting that China might follow Japan's manufacturing footsteps - they will move from "cheap" to "quality" as their own design capabilities improve and they start going head-to-head with western brands.

It's a completely different mindset as was pointed out by my former Japanese In Laws. It's all about making more money. They have little motivation towards quality unless they absolutely had to. Even then it is usually through a patent infringement.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 08:23   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
It's a completely different mindset as was pointed out by my former Japanese In Laws. It's all about making more money. They have little motivation towards quality unless they absolutely had to. Even then it is usually through a patent infringement.
I've been watching a few Chinese companies that are pursuing the goals of quality - eg Lenovo (Chinese pickup of the IBM PC business), Huawei (ahem), Espressif. And some Chinese players in niche businesses, who are trying to compete on quality and innovation with the Western market leaders. And they already dominate in some new areas like electric buses.

No country can compete forever on "cheap"; there are hungrier countries chasing them on labour cost, and as the Chinese consumer becomes more affluent and demanding, there will be a pivot inward to serve this huge new source of disposable income. And these consumers will demand products that convey status and class - products that can compete with western established brands. I know a young Chinese entrepreneur, he's very much focused on branding and perception.

So they might not exactly mirror Japan's trajectory towards world-class design and quality, but I expect that China will move past "cheap".
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 08:49   #37

A few years back I was installing a DIY swiming platform. Picked up frame ss nuts and bolts at either WM or HD, may be even both. Toward the end of the day realized that I will need a few more of those in longer lengths and the round trip to either of the store would waste about an hour or more so I scrounged around the boat yard, part of which doubled as a boat junkyard, for whatever bolts they had lying around from dismantled 30-40 year old boats. The bolts I needed had to be 1/2" or more longer than the ones I purchased new so I knew which ones were from the yard.

Fast forward to the end of that season. All the stores bought new bolts and nuts were showing significant rust. All the 40 year old ones were as good as new. That told me all I needed to know about the quality of Chinese made goods, especially ss stuff.

OTOH, about 7-8 years ago got a Chinese knock-off of Motorola (or Delco?) 110A alternator for $70 delivered. Still working fine. Admittedly light use mostly but still, I did not expect it to last more than a few New England seasons. But at $70 vs. $700 I figured even replacing it every few years I will be way ahead of the game. So I do agree with "Chinese stuff is junk" sentiment but even so junkyards have their loyal customers. It's the old cost-benefit analysis.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 10:34   #38

Quote:
After being in Japan and in China the difference between those two cultures is so visible. The dirtiest public toilet in Tokyo is cleaner then the toilets in the village lounge in Beijing Airport.
B_Hunter45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 17:32   #39

Quote:
I've been watching a few Chinese companies that are pursuing the goals of quality - eg Lenovo (Chinese pickup of the IBM PC business), Huawei (ahem), Espressif. And some Chinese players in niche businesses, who are trying to compete on quality and innovation with the Western market leaders. And they already dominate in some new areas like electric buses.

No country can compete forever on "cheap"; there are hungrier countries chasing them on labour cost, and as the Chinese consumer becomes more affluent and demanding, there will be a pivot inward to serve this huge new source of disposable income. And these consumers will demand products that convey status and class - products that can compete with western established brands. I know a young Chinese entrepreneur, he's very much focused on branding and perception.

So they might not exactly mirror Japan's trajectory towards world-class design and quality, but I expect that China will move past "cheap".

I hope you're right. My new laptop is a Lenova. The screen sucks by the way.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 07-05-2021, 17:37   #40

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Lenovo has been building laptops since buying the Thinkpad brand from IBM 15+ years ago. Not every model has been a home run, but their quality has generally been good, at least on the higher end stuff.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 19:49   #41

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

Quote:
your fault for buying lenova. screen on my 5yo toshiba is great, despite being made in china

the point is that its the brand - not where it is made !

cheers,
Old 07-05-2021, 20:32   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisr View Post
your fault for buying lenova. screen on my 5yo toshiba is great, despite being made in china

the point is that its the brand - not where it is made !

cheers,

If that was so, then my Toshiba Click II laptop would not have vertical line down the screen and delamination in both bottom corners. The Lenova is not as "clear" as the Toshiba, so we'll see.
Old 10-05-2021, 06:33   #43

pirate Re: Buying Chinese Goods on eBay!!

MANY years ago; probably before your time; Any time you ordered anything from anywhere it took at least 6-8 weeks for delivery. It's still that way to get something from China.
Here's a true story that may help: I went to a ferry landing in the islands. I asked a guy there when the next ferry would be. He said, "Just go sit in the shade under that tree; it will be here "tereckly".
conchaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 06:35   #44

Boat: Small yellow rubber ducky

Those logs sound like a game of...
the pursuit of the untamed gosling.

taxwizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 06:46   #45

Boat: Contessa 32

I suspect the government subsidized shipping from China (incredibly cheap) has issues because of the shear volume of stuff coming here. This along with the very poor quality of many items makes me reluctant to buy Chinese.

I go out of my way and I’m willing to pay more (sometimes a lot more) to buy American goods or from almost any other country. I know it is like a drop of water in the ocean, but every little bit helps and I feel that I’m doing my part.
n5ama is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying