Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2019, 11:04   #46
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Re: Bottom Paint Color. Does it matter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimisbell View Post
Dont know why you call it "crap" because I, on the south coast of Texas where its warm shallow water, get 5 years out of a bottom job. I get very few barnacles and no grass. The photo ablative properties of the paint keep the waterline squeaky clean and a semiannual dive to knock off the occasional barnacle on the prop and check the zincs is all it takes.
If you only need to clean your hull a couple of times a year, that is less a function your anti fouling paint and more because your boat lives in low fouling waters. I wouldn't recommend e-Paint to my worst enemy, that's how poorly it performs out here.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 12:58   #47

Boat: 1978 Mainship 34 Sedan Trawler MK1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
If you only need to clean your hull a couple of times a year, that is less a function your anti fouling paint and more because your boat lives in low fouling waters. I wouldn't recommend e-Paint to my worst enemy, that's how poorly it performs out here.

If I get a bottom job with good bottom paint I dont expect to have to clean the bottom. If you think its normal to clean the bottom after using the paint you use, then I sure dont want that paint.

I told you where my boat lives. High Fouling area.

I find it interesting that people that sell installation services for tires that only last 3 years, get all riled up when someone gets 5 years out of a set of much cheaper tires.

And those that sell a product that works poorly get mad when a cheaper product out performs the more expensive one they are selling.

And bottom painters that use $350 a gallon paint (at a $150 mark up) that is only good for 3 years get upset when someone gets a 5 year bottom paint for $20 a gallon ($215 MSRP). If you are getting a $150 a gallon markup you should throw in the labor for free.

Its predictable, but I dont know how they sleep at night.

Remind me NOT to be your worst enemy, I want better treatment than that.
jimisbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 13:08   #48
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
If I get a bottom job with good bottom paint I dont expect to have to clean the bottom. If you think its normal to clean the bottom after using the paint you use, then I sure dont want that paint.
Again, if you don't need to clean your hull, you do not keep your boat in a high fouling region. Either that or you do not mind sailing with a foul bottom. As any boater in truly high fouling regions such as Southern California or Florida will tell you, monthly hull cleanings are a necessary part of normal boat maintenance.
Old 04-03-2019, 14:14   #49

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

I switch colors every time I paint so I can tell when the paint is wearing out. I've not noticed a lot of difference in performance based on color. If you have Foss rudders on your boat color makes a big difference. Foss makes the OEM rudders for many brands of boats. Their web site warns never to paint your rudders a dark color because the foam core is temperature sensitive. When the boat is out of the water the sun can make the rudder so hot the foam fails if painted a dark color. It happened on my boat with black bottom paint and a two month summer haul out. Only the south rudder was affected as I guess the north rudder wasn't in the sun long enough to get to the critical temperature. No mention of this in the boat's literature of course. I still use hard paint on the hulls but I use white multi-season ablative on the sail drives and rudders.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 15:01   #50

Boat: discovery 55
Thumbs up Re: Bottom Paint Color. Does it matter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by letoile View Post
Find out what GGR 2018/19 race winner JEAN-LUC VAN DEN HEEDE used on his boat, Matmut. His solo circumnavigation was 212 days, but the boat was in the water for over 300 and it came home as clean as a whistle!!
I seem to recall he used Coppercoat. This leads me to ask about that particular bottom paint which I have on my boat and wonder what to expect in terms of results and durability
Amaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 15:24   #51

Quote:
Again, if you don't need to clean your hull, you do not keep your boat in a high fouling region. Either that or you do not mind sailing with a foul bottom. As any boater in truly high fouling regions such as Southern California or Florida will tell you, monthly hull cleanings are a necessary part of normal boat maintenance.

Only if you have a poorly applied paint or the paint is no good......PERIOD. QED. They call it anti fouling for a reason!!!!! Why would you put it on if it didnt work!!

The warm South Texas coast is a HIGH FOULING area. Water is warm all year long. MUCH worse than ANY place on the cold Pacific coast. Water temp in San Diego is rarely above 70F I lived on the beach in SD area for 17 years and that is cold water, usually about 68F even in mid summer. In the middle of winter the sea water here MIGHT get to 68F for a few days but in the summer its as high as 85F.

If Anti Fouling paint is NOT Anti Fouling then its NOT anti fouling paint. Cummon, what are you thinking???
Old 04-03-2019, 15:46   #52

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Red is right.
Old 04-03-2019, 15:50   #53

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Surely its not just temperature but the biological soup you boat sits in. Nice clean water you can see the bottom, perhaps not to bad. Thick brown soup moved by tides a couple of times a day, oh dear lots of food for plants and critters to feed on.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 16:03   #54
Marine Service Provider

my cousin added 5 oz HOT chilli powder and 5 oz of roundup, no thanks going to use 10 oz Carolina Reaper, per gallon of paint. after two years only needed to wipe it down. i am using white so when i dive i can see it .
wtmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 16:18   #55

I like to change the color of my bottom from dark to light and back again so that I can tell when its getting thin.

As to the biological soup, Corpus Christi Bay is the mouth of the Nueces river and is a brown river delta color. The water on the gulf doesnt turn blue till you are 10 miles off shore. Lots of nutrients as is all the Gulf Coast with river deltas about every 50 miles and the granddaddy of them all, the Mississippi, right in the middle.
Old 04-03-2019, 16:19   #56
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtmf View Post
my cousin added 5 oz HOT chilli powder and 5 oz of roundup, no thanks going to use 10 oz Carolina Reaper, per gallon of paint.
I have a bridge in Brooklyn in which you would undoubtedly be interested. Bwahahahaha!
Old 04-03-2019, 16:22   #57
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Only if you have a poorly applied paint or the paint is no good......PERIOD. QED. They call it anti fouling for a reason!!!!! Why would you put it on if it didnt work!!
Hey, all you hundreds of thousands of boaters out there! Didn't you know that your boat should never, ever show a smidge of fouling? That's right- when you go to your boat see slime and algae on the hull, that's a sign that you aren't as smart as this guy. 'Cause if you were, you'd know that anti fouling paint completely stops fouling! Yeah, no matter where your boat lives, if you do what he does, your boat will never get dirty!

Oh brother
Old 04-03-2019, 16:33   #58

Quote:
Hey, all you hundreds of thousands of boaters out there! Didn't you know that your boat should never, ever show a smidge of fouling? That's right- when you go to your boat see slime and algae on the hull, that's a sign that you aren't as smart as this guy. 'Cause if you were, you'd know that anti fouling paint completely stops fouling! Yeah, no matter where your boat lives, if you do what he does, your boat will never get dirty!

Oh brother

Cant remember what this is called, but it means you have lost the argument when you have to enlist an imaginary army to support yourself. I didnt say ANY of those things and I dont make my living telling horror stories to my clients to extract money.

I am done, Wont wrestle with a pig.
Old 04-03-2019, 17:07   #59
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I didnt say ANY of those things and I dont make my living telling horror stories to my clients to extract money.
No, what you said is that the right anti fouling paint will completely eliminate fouling. I am here to tell you that is categorically false. You may have found a product that works well in your neck of the woods, but I have a little bit of experience in this area and I can tell you that there is no anti fouling coating that eliminates fouling in California, including (and especially) your e-Paint. To infer that in-water hull cleaning is unnecessary or some kind of scam makes me think that you don't know your way around boats as well as you'd like us to think you do.
Old 04-03-2019, 17:13   #60

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Bottom Paint Color. Does it matter?

So nobody like my idea of painting the bottom plaid or a floral motif. How about getting local graffiti artist to do the bottom?[emoji8]
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bottom paint, paint