Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2018, 13:22   #16

Boat: Sigma 41
Re: Beta marine engine cost

For $30K +, my Perkins just got prettier! Rebuilding the Perkins would be my choice and spend the savings on electronics , sails, solar, bats, etc. And you know everything fits and no need to replace stuff.
dneve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 13:24   #17

Boat: Vertue 11

Hi All. First post.

I live in the UK about an hours drive from the Beta factory. Over here you can buy directly from Beta without going through a dealer. Whether or not you can do this from abroad? That I do not know.

It may be worth having a look at their website or talking to them directly.
Try - +44 (0)1452 723 492 | sales@betamarine.co.uk - I took this straight off of their website.

I fitted a Beta 20 last year into my Vertue 11. Runs like a dream. Installed it myself. I have since bought spare directly as well. Prompt and efficient service. I bought the engine through a friend who happens to be in the trade so my price would not be representative.

Hope this is of use.
Cheers. John
John56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 14:02   #18

Boat: Cheoy Lee Pedrick 41' 1986

Well we of course ran the rebuild scenario of ole Perky. If we were staying home in local waters going to Catalina a few times a year that is the route I would have taken. With the fact that we are leaving end of next year to go do extensive cruising I decided to bite the bullet so to speak. Yes it was costly but when we were out running the motor last Saturday the pain of the checkbook gave way to the purr at 2250 rpm doing 8 knts was spectacular. No leaky, no oil in the bilge and oh so pretty.

So fortunately I was able to divert the resources to cover the costs.

CR
Captain Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 19:10   #19

Boat: 1984 Pacific Seacraft 34 (#7)

Hi, I'm brand new to the Forum, though I've been lurking for a while. Last month I purchased the 30 HP Beta from Stanley here in NC. I was given 20% off list, which they indicated was the normal "boat show discount." The total price for engine, transmission, exhaust, new panel, harness, mounts, high output alternator, etc., was ~$12,100. (No shipping involved, as my mechanic lives close to Stanley.)
Crealock34guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 19:39   #20

I payed about $12,000 for a Beta 38, which included high rise exhaust, upgraded panel and delivery cost. A few hundred more in expenses such as new exhaust muffler and exhaust hose. I happened to look at cost of Beta in England and it was much cheaper. Propeller (about $530) from Michigan took over 3 month to deliver, much longer that advertised. I had same reverse direction of control cables but manage to adapt, see pict. I contacted several mechanics to install. They did not call back, so I installed myself. Easy job, no hang ups, very satisfactory experience. Murphy took day off.
Baba Buoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 20:04   #21

Boat: Westsail 32

Go to http://www.westsailparts.com/ServiceManual/ and drill in to Sections F-9 and F-10 for prices. Then, if you're interested, contact Bud Taplin as it says in the sections, for a price on a Beta 30.

For a propeller, I got mine at https://www.lunenburgfoundry.com They're a very competent shop and they build them from scratch. It was a routine transaction.
Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 04:50   #22

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Hello again,

We ditto Seymore's recommendation for Lunenburg Foundry. Though we're Yanks from New Hampshire, we live near Lunenburg, Nova Scotia for six months each year. The Foundry is very well-respected in these parts and can tackle a variety of metal fabrication jobs with an engineer's eye to quality and precision.

We wish we had purchased our new prop from them. Alas, we did not.

Ditto also Crealock34Guy's recommendation to deal with Stanley at Beta Marine US in NC. He was helpful and available during our rather long and tortuous install last year.

Again, we love our new Beta, we're just disappointed that the install did not go more smoothly and less expensively.

Jenn and Terry
Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia
Kearsarge, NH
jen1722terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 06:14   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1981 Sea Sprite 34 Sold, now living ashore. Bristol 27

A British friend reported to me the price I paid for my Beta 25 (motor, gear box, small alternator, middle of the line gauge package,) was exactly half at the boat show">London Boat Show 2 years ago of what I paid in 2013. That was the price of the motor sitting on the pallet before all other costs were added. I did not get the Beta exhaust riser but had a stainless steel one fabricated to exact dimensions needed at a local machine shop. I did almost all of the installation and removal of the old Universal myself and am very pleased with the Beta and always recommend it but not so pleased with paying twice the price. My total expenditure including mechanic fees, remote tank to accommodate the water heater, exhaust riser, modifying the engine bed, misc. hoses, hardware etc. was $10,000.
canvasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2018, 07:35   #24

Boat: Ex Salina 48, now Lagoon 380
Send a message via Skype™ to spiv

This fresh from Beta Marine UK. Prices in GBP.

You'd have to consider that landed in your country there must be extra for transport and import duty??
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Beta 30 to 60 HE SD £ 2018 Rev 02-i3.pdf (530.2 KB, 1101 views)
spiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2018, 10:34   #25
Marine Service Provider

rpeebles. Please note that marine man is no longer a Beta Marine dealer. He was fired by the west coast distributor years ago and has no access to engines and parts. If you send him any money, there is no guarantee that you will get anything in return. All the information on his website is way out of date.
Stanley Feigenbaum
Beta Marine US Ltd
NCboatrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2018, 14:08   #26
Marine Service Provider

Boat: My 3 Freedoms 28 35 and 44 Cat Ketches

Stanley, thanks! Who woulda thunk it? He did just refer me to a "Ethan" in CA and to Betamarine North Carolina. I am in TX can I purchase and have shipped to me from any best price USA dealer? I have a good price from Sound Marine Diesel in CT.

Rgds, Roger
Old 15-12-2018, 05:22   #27
Marine Service Provider

Roger. Sound Marine Diesel is a dealer in good standing so you will be fine.
If, however you are having a local mechanic or boatyard do the work for you, it makes sense to work with them.
I will leave this thread now as I only put my 2 cents in to correct something
NCboatrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2018, 08:17   #28

Boat: William Atkins 26' tops'l gaff cutter

I repowered my 26' gaff cutter with a Beta 14 last year. Details of the installation may be of value to some. Note that I am not a diesel mechanic, and this was my first (I hope, only, ever) engine installation. Lots of details beyond hoisting a shiny red engine into your boat and bolting it up ;-)

I paid 10 k for mine, from a dealer I would never deal with again (Seattle).
entire job was about 15 k - new through hulls, new propeller, fuel lines, etc.

best of luck.
Old 21-12-2018, 08:33   #29

Boat: William Atkins 26' tops'l gaff cutter

Forgot the link to my blog post about re-powering Ripple:

Re-powering s/v Ripple
Old 21-12-2018, 11:15   #30

Boat: Olson 40

I was about to buy a Beta 30 for my Olson 40, and got bids similar to above.

However, instead I spent $10K for a system from Electric Yacht + Battle Born LiFePO4 batteries (about half batteries, the rest motor and pure sine wave Magnum inverter). No solar yet, that will come in a few months, as other things on the punch list will come before solar. But that will be cheap and easy -- velcro semi-flexible panels to the boom tent. No roll cage or other junk on the trunk.

It is so wonderful to have NO FUEL on the boat any more. No anti-freeze, distilled water, oil, diapers, filters, impellers, a LOT of specific tools, ... to say nothing of the engine, transmission, fuel tank, water separator, etc. I think that more than half the total number of parts on the boat were that diesel engine and its life support systems. Quiet! Peaceful! Smooth! MUCH simpler! And best of all, NO SMELLY STUFF ANYWHERE EVER.

Since my boat sails well in any conditions, I still retain infinite range.

Now, everything is electric. So much simpler! So much lighter! Induction stove too, which is much better than any propane or gas stove.

I saved 700 lbs in my 10,000 lbs boat. The boat sits noticeably higher in the water, fore and aft.
u4ea32 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beta marine, engine, marine