Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-07-2018, 05:37   #1

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,
backstay radar mount

I was almost ready to start preparation for a transom radar pole install when I ran into "one more"option,Backstay install??
Normally try to stay away from messing with the integrity of the back stay but nevertheless like to know of any experience positive or negatives?
attractive points easier?to install and a gimbal bracket
dome Garmin 18"
thank you
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2018, 18:05   #2

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38
Re: backstay radar mount

They are fantastic if gimbaled. They will shade solar panels a little if you have them but a backstay mounted radar is solid piece of gear.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2018, 18:24   #3

Thank you Bleemus

I am quite sold on this option,only issue is cost,was going to use an anodized aluminum tube that I have and have a welder add a small base and weld a plate on top to bolt the radar dome,however these guys are not cheap and still have to come up with some U Bolt or some mechanical attachment to the railing,by the time I am done the cost difference may not be that great and will have a nice looking set up instead of the crap looking things I normally do.
There are 2 manufacturers

Scanstrut about 1200 and
Waltz about 960
Waltz responded immediately to my call.
Feel tempted to go with Waltz
take care
Old 21-07-2018, 18:25   #4

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

I had one on my old boat and took it off after a rough passage to the islands. The dome gimballed back and forth for almost a week, crashing into the stops on each side on every roll (or so it seemed). When I got there I found it had managed to tear its anchor screws out of the transom. I took it off and mounted it on the mast. No problems after that. If I weren't sailing ocean passages where that sort of thing can happen I might consider it. It really worked well on Chesapeake Bay
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2018, 18:31   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sck5 View Post
I had one on my old boat and took it off after a rough passage to the islands. The dome gimballed back and forth for almost a week, crashing into the stops on each side on every roll (or so it seemed). When I got there I found it had managed to tear its anchor screws out of the transom. I took it off and mounted it on the mast. No problems after that. If I weren't sailing ocean passages where that sort of thing can happen I might consider it. It really worked well on Chesapeake Bay
==============================================
is there a way to lock it in place when conditions warrant?
Old 22-07-2018, 13:14   #6

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
backstay radar mount

Also check out Questus.
http://www.questusmarine.com/self-le...mounts-13.html

I’ve been using one for 18 years. It was installed by a previous owner at least 23 years ago. They are still in business and still provide parts.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 14:56   #7

Yes, Questus is the only one I have experience with and it was great. Has dampening so you don't see wild gyrations. Solid piece of gear.

Old 22-07-2018, 16:05   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
Also check out Questus.
Self-Leveling Radar Mounts | automatic radar leveling system prevents target loss when heeling | Questus Marine

I’ve been using one for 18 years. It was installed by a previous owner at least 23 years ago. They are still in business and still provide parts.
===============================================Tay Tayana and Bleemus
thank you both again
amazing,there are several choices.
Any problems with the unit in rough seas as described in post #4?
been that a major concern,have an email sent to Waltz about their unit asking if is there an option to lock the gimbal movement ?,really is a concern to me.
At this point I see there is little difference as cost is concern,from the least expensive Waltz at 960,then Questus at 1099 and the Straut going on 1200 or so.
They seem quite similar and both Questus and Waltz also seem to stand behind their product.
Tough choice,but in service after more than 20 some years seems an excellent endorsement.
Truly thanks all for the info,I was not aware of the back stay and that is the way I like to go.
thanks again
David
Old 22-07-2018, 17:17   #9

David,

My experience with the Questus was good but I didn't look at it too closely because it just worked. It had some kind of dampening in it which seemed to prevent the swinging others have mentioned. It was stable every time I looked at it even in some rough upwind sailing. Good luck in your choice!

Tags
radar