Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-07-2022, 08:07   #1

Anyone replaced and replumbed water heater on 80s First 35?

Hi all,
We have a 1984 Beneteau First 35 that we just purchased and of course the water heater has blown a hole (it is original so nearly 40yrs old!).

I am thinking of replacing the entire PW system with new pump and header tank, quick connect piping etc. Thing is, the existing pump location is not good as it does not allow for a header tank so I need a new location and thus adds the nightmare of re-routing the pipe work.

Anyone else out there done this on a First 35/345 that can offer some hints, tips, experiences?

Thanks in advance.
Uthyrbendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2022, 17:13   #2

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Re: Anyone replaced and replumbed water heater on 80s First 35?

I replaced the heater on my 1985 First 456. As I recall, it was 12 gallons, and replacing it with a 6 gallon unit made the project easier.

I am not sure what you mean by a header tank. The old single diaphragm pump was quite noisy, and I put in an expansion tank to cut down the noise and the hot/cold cycling in the shower. The expansion tank can go anywhere in the system, and I put it under the sink in the head.

I also changed out the ancient belt driven pump with a cheaper and quieter multiple diaphragm pump. If you're used to Pex, go for it like the RV crowd has--its available almost anywhere.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2022, 17:22   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
I replaced the heater on my 1985 First 456. As I recall, it was 12 gallons, and replacing it with a 6 gallon unit made the project easier.

I am not sure what you mean by a header tank. The old single diaphragm pump was quite noisy, and I put in an expansion tank to cut down the noise and the hot/cold cycling in the shower. The expansion tank can go anywhere in the system, and I put it under the sink in the head.

I also changed out the ancient belt driven pump with a cheaper and quieter multiple diaphragm pump. If you're used to Pex, go for it like the RV crowd has--its available almost anywhere.
Thanks, yes, I mean an expansion tank - and yes that belt driven pump is a noise monster!

On my boat the pump is beneath the ice box compressor which is under the sink - so to change out the pump will require removing the compressor which will likely require a replacement of that also as it does not have the self sealing refrigerant lines.
Uthyrbendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2022, 20:31   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uthyrbendragon View Post
On my boat the pump is beneath the ice box compressor which is under the sink - so to change out the pump will require removing the compressor which will likely require a replacement of that also as it does not have the self sealing refrigerant lines.
So leave the old pump in place (sever wires and hoses) and put a new one somewhere else ... unless you want to remove/replace the fridge compressor.

Tags
bed, heater, water