Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-09-2013, 04:56   #1

Boat: Westerly Centaur 26'
Send a message via AIM to bbowers2004 Send a message via MSN to bbowers2004 Send a message via Yahoo to bbowers2004 Send a message via Skype™ to bbowers2004
anti fouling inbetween tides

The plan is,

They had antifouled the boat in December of 2012 when they pulled her out and only was in the water since I put her in, figure I can get away with not anti fouling until I get across the ocean, maybe give her a scrub down first though. I was then going to try and anti foul in between tides, and put my bilge keels to work...what do you think?

Since it was out of the water the paint technically only has six months in the water by the time I leave
bbowers2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2013, 05:59   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: anti fouling inbetween tides

on a small boat like yours i would definitely reccomend anti fouling before crossing,as half knot of speed loss will make a big difference in crossing time.

you will also find the fouling much worse in the carib than anything you find in europe,in the carib you will have to use a boatyard as the tides are very small~2 ft

in portimao,there are slipways you can dry out on,also beaches inside the breakwater.
get the best paint you can afford and it will save you hauling for the first 6-12 months in the carib.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2013, 07:08   #3

Send a message via AIM to bbowers2004 Send a message via MSN to bbowers2004 Send a message via Yahoo to bbowers2004 Send a message via Skype™ to bbowers2004

Thanks for the reply, I'm still not straight on the anti foul, even if the boat was not in the water is it as serious to get it redone?
Old 15-10-2013, 07:29   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Yes, the paint gets progressively weaker the longer you leave it and you have had the best 6 months. I antifoul in May so that the strongest 6 months are during the summer when the weed, slime and barnacles grow like mad.

You will need a nice warm day as drying a bilge keeled yacht particularly the hull area between the keels takes longer than a fin keeled yacht. Don't try and paint a damp hull because the tide is coming in, the paint will fall off again.

It takes me a couple of tides to do our 31ft bilge keeled hull including polishing the bronze prop and painting that, plus the prop shaft. Replace the anodes whilst your at it.

As Atoll says half a knot lost due to weed growing during an ocean crossing will be significant.

Recommendations for Europe, Seajet 033 or 034

http://www.seajetpaint.com/en/paint-...-anti-fouling/

Alternatively International Micron Extra, but this is expensive paint.

What ever you choose don't scrimp on the quantity, slap on several coats if in doubt.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2013, 07:45   #5
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

So the boat had a new bottom in December? Not clear on when she actually went back in the water.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2013, 13:28   #6

The boat has only been in the water for 3 months...since last December.
Old 15-10-2013, 13:36   #7
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

OK, well you should know that some anti fouling paints (hard paints in particular) cannot withstand prolonged periods exposed to the air, which apparently was the case with your paint.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2013, 13:44   #8

And would a 6 layer copper coat applied in 2008 effect my decision at all?
Old 15-10-2013, 13:48   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Ok, just read your blog and see the budget is tight. Do you know what they painted it with? You could try a second coat of the same stuff. Then buy a wooden brush for use weekly in the carib (it won't rust and will float). On Centaur 26 there will be little hull you can't reach swimming without even needing to put your head under water. For example I can clean my prop and the whole of the rudder with my bare feet without having to dive.

Pete
Old 15-10-2013, 13:51   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbowers2004 View Post
And would a 6 layer copper coat applied in 2008 effect my decision at all?
Is this under the Dec 12 antifoul paint? if so its only half way through its life so why did they paint over it? did it fail?

Pete
Old 15-10-2013, 13:53   #11

I am going to assume you meant can, I have another can of copper coat in the boat still. I can use this hope fully it will cover the whole bottom!
Old 15-10-2013, 13:54   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Is this under the Dec 12 antifoul paint? if so its only half way through its life so why did they paint over it? did it fail?

Pete
I'm asking myself the same thing, but I have receipts for both.

Maybe the owner before me didn't do his research....
Old 15-10-2013, 14:03   #13

I'm thourghly confused now, but guess I don't need to worry about antifouling for my trip! Good news!

Lol

Thanks guys, and yes the budget is tight, so this is good news!

I had no idea what copper coat was until now....lol
Old 15-10-2013, 14:19   #14

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Bbowers2004,

What you may not be aware of here, is just how slow a passage you are risking. Be sure that what you plan to apply to the bottom will in fact be compatible with what is already on it. Then apply just before you leave. You may still have to figure out a way to clean off fouling under way, if the bottom coverings are incompatible.

If you do pass through particularly marine-organism-rich waters on your route to the Caribbean, the growth you can accumulate can almost stop you; that is why I suggest a plan for scraping the hull down with the boat hove to and you attached to the boat. You're going to want a boarding ladder, too, as the scraping will be physically tiring.

FWIW
Old 15-10-2013, 14:26   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

What colour is the antifoul now? does it look like it may have copper in an epoxy layer, new tends to be brown then goes green/blue. If so you are looking at £1000 of coating last time I looked. Buy some large green pan scouring pads to keep it clean. Give it and the prop a good scrub before you leave the Canary Islands.

antifouling - copper rich treatment for boats and yachts | Coppercoat

Oh and safe trip

Pete

Tags
anti fouling