Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2023, 08:20   #16

Boat: Lagoon 380
Re: Acetone to Aid in drying wet plywood core

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalestr View Post
Acetone can dissolve, soften cured polyester resin …..

Maybe, if given a tremendous soak time. The story changes using methylene chloride
team karst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 22:18   #17
I14

Boat: Coral Seas 36 displacement launch

I'm not sure the builder would have used polyester, rather than epoxy, for the adhesive between the outer laminates and the plywood due to the rather random adhesive qualities of polyester onto wood but even if they did fully cured polyester would take a long time to soften with acetone. Acetone mixed with water form what's called an azeotope and boil as a mixture, the acetone will not separate from the water. The danger of explosion exists from the outlet of the vac pump so if it's in the open air as shown and away from any ignition sources then it should be safe enough
I14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2023, 05:38   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CHB/MT D/C Trawler, 34'
Acetone to Aid in drying wet plywood core

Once plywood gets wet, and the bacteria goes to work, it’s structural qualities go to near zero. Dry it out, the bacteria goes to sleep, and what you have is so weak you can crumble it with your hands. Pump in a massive amount of epoxy and you have something brittle that doesn’t flex, in a stricture that’s designed to be a torsion box, not a rigid member.

It’s easier - and far better - to replace the core. Unless you are planning to get rid of the boat, fool a surveyor, and make it someone else’s problem.

When I restored my cored vessel I found blob after blob of epoxy floating in rotted wood from previous owners who attempted what you are doing.

It’s your boat, do what you want [emoji3]
Moosemiester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2023, 07:19   #19

Boat: '86 MacGregor 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosemiester View Post
Once plywood gets wet, and the bacteria goes to work, it’s structural qualities go to near zero. Dry it out, the bacteria goes to sleep, and what you have is so weak you can crumble it with your hands. …
Depends how bad it’s gotten. My old boat had pretty badly saturated side decks. When I took a coupon of the inner skin to investigate, I was surprised how much I had to pry and fight to separate it from the wet plywood.

My current boat has a bunch of areas that peg the moisture meter, but no dripping brown liquid, and only one spot that has delaminated. If I can dry it out (I have succeeded on one large section so far) and keep it dry, no core replacement will ever be necessary.
wyb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2023, 12:53   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

FWIW:
Acetone and pure water are soluble in all proportions; they are completely miscible.
The reason for this behavior is the formation of hydrogen bonding interactions between the oxygen atom of acetone molecules and the O-H bond of water molecules.
However, when salt is added to the mixture, the resulting Na + and Cl- ions interact very strongly with the water molecules through ion-dipole forces. These ion-dipole interactions are much stronger than the acetone-water hydrogen bonds. As a result, the acetone molecules are forced out of the aqueous phase and two layers are formed: a lessdense acetone layer on top and a salt water layer at the bottom.
Obviously, acetone and salt water are incompatible and therefore immiscible; they do not mix in all proportions.
https://www.job-stiftung.de/pdf/vers..._Saltwater.pdf

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2023, 13:15   #21

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
FWIW:
Acetone and pure water are soluble in all proportions; they are completely miscible.
The reason for this behavior is the formation of hydrogen bonding interactions between the oxygen atom of acetone molecules and the O-H bond of water molecules.
However, when salt is added to the mixture, the resulting Na + and Cl- ions interact very strongly with the water molecules through ion-dipole forces. These ion-dipole interactions are much stronger than the acetone-water hydrogen bonds. As a result, the acetone molecules are forced out of the aqueous phase and two layers are formed: a lessdense acetone layer on top and a salt water layer at the bottom.
Obviously, acetone and salt water are incompatible and therefore immiscible; they do not mix in all proportions.
https://www.job-stiftung.de/pdf/vers..._Saltwater.pdf
Not to mention just pouring it into a hole in the deck is not exactly mixing it.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2023, 14:12   #22

Boat: Lagoon 380
Acetone to Aid in drying wet plywood core

Denatured alcohol better? It mixes with water.
My ear beer uses alcohol as drying agent.
team karst is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
plywood, core, wood