Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2019, 12:10   #61
Marine Service Provider

Re: A Bottom Paint Story

I honestly don’t see the point of this entire thread... I was hoping to get some bottom paint wisdom but instead get a rambling story of half-assed prep and painting and poor cleaning schedule equals what? I’m in SF Bay I just had the bottom done with two coats of Trinidad back in Dec and starting next month I’ll be calling the diver to re start the every two months cleaning schedule I was on before. It’s about $65 every two months .. I don’t complain about it I just do it because it’s necessary. As for the “False economy”. I suppose I could put on my wet suit and do it myself but the water is 55 degrees out here I wouldn’t do it if someone was paying me. Lol.
Akafred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2019, 12:18   #62

What about some of the ultrasonic strategies that supposedly minimize bottom growth?
billdomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2019, 12:25   #63

Boat: 1978 EO, Robert Perry designed, 36' canoe stern, Cutter rigged

I agree with Tayana42, Petit's Trinidad AR is the best bottom paint around, as we would get 3-4 years with it on our 36 EO, with periodically and lightly brushing off the slime growth.
Cheers!
Jgblanken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2019, 12:27   #64
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akafred View Post
I honestly don’t see the point of this entire thread...
gave you something to read, said right at the start it was just a story

And what did it equal you ask - 3 years of cruising up/down the east coast of the US 3 times plus going to the Bahamas. Pretty much a failure due to "half-assed prep and painting and poor cleaning"

BTW - met in the MOST friendly manner possible, if my typing skill does not reflex please be assured it was
Old 22-02-2019, 12:43   #65
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
BTW - met in the MOST friendly manner possible, if my typing skill does not reflex please be assured it was
It’s all good.. 😀⛵️
Akafred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2019, 09:41   #66

Boat: 2019 Tartan Fantail, Torqeedo Cruise 2 motor
Send a message via Skype™ to mghorton

I usually like to go under my boat and scrub it once in mid season regardless of the paint used, but the Chesapeake can be murky and also has some nasty bacteria that get do you damage if there is an open wound or cut anywhere, so some years I have missed out.
A reasonable option is to clean it every month or two with a dri-diver (DRI-DIVER - Boat Hull Cleaner, Remove hull growth from the dock). Not perfect and cannot reach the prop or vertical face of the keel, but does keep the boat pretty clean with two passes. I tested its coverage this year by giving one side of the bottom a clean before the haul out, and was quite pleased to see that there was hardly any growth. No connection with the firm, but this is a good and quick method of getting a light cleaning done between paint jobs for haul outs, as recommended by fastbttms.
mghorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2019, 11:41   #67

Boat: 1998 Sealine Statesman 42ft - Twin Cummins 6BTA

I didn't read all the comments, but I agree with the use of Petit Trinidad. It's basically a hard paint. My paint guy said to use hard paint unless you run about twice weekly. I stay in Cape Canaveral for long periods and the paint is great.

I noticed that I get little growth in winter and large growth in summer. Your description seemed to follow that logic.

I go to the Bahamas and scrape the gear myself just after leaving the marina. I scrape the rest in clear Bahama water. I'm a pretty good but aging freediver. The hard paint makes the barnacles pop off easily and it lasts long if you prep well before applying.
GeneM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2019, 10:39   #68

Boat: 1990 Oyster 55

While I was homeported in the mid Chesapeake (6 years) I used Micron CSC Extra. My paint schedule was 5 coats, red, black, green, blue, blue.

When I hauled the rule was paint anything bare with red, paint anything red with black, paint anything black with green, then two coats of blue, apply extra coat of blue to all areas which were bare at haulout.

Cleaned bottom each spring, used boat heavily. Minimal growth except prop which got cleaned 3 times during summer.

Same paint in southern CA (same boat) needed cleaning lightly once a month in summer and every other month in winter.

New boat has hard paint which needs to be taken to bare in a few years. Used seahawk SR if I remember correctly after purchase and then Trinidad hard (don't remember specifically) the second paint job. Two coats each time. Diver on the job after 3 months to let paint fully harden. (In socal we tend to end up in the water a bit fast for my taste after painting)

Seahawk went about 4 years, Trinidad is at 6 years and still holding it's own. A couple of bare spots so time to haul.

Basically, if you are sailing in one area talk to owners or drivers about what is working well. It is VERY location specific and somewhat use specific.
botanybay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2019, 11:51   #69
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by botanybay View Post
Diver on the job after 3 months to let paint fully harden.
Anti fouling paint does not "harden" or cure in the water. That's not how (any) paint works. Paints cure when the solvents in them flash off into the atmosphere, allowing what was a liquid to become a solid. This does not occur underwater. When your boat is splashed with a new bottom, that paint is as cured or hardened as it is ever going to be.

Regarding your Pettit Trinidad- it was likely cured and ready to be splashed about 16 hours or so after application, per the manufacturer's instructions.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2019, 11:54   #70
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mghorton View Post
A reasonable option is to clean it every month or two with a dri-diver (DRI-DIVER - Boat Hull Cleaner, Remove hull growth from the dock) ...but this is a good and quick method of getting a light cleaning done between paint jobs for haul outs, as recommended by fastbttms.
Bwahahahaha! There is no way in hell I ever recommended a half-assed hull cleaning tool like Dri-Diver.
Old 24-02-2019, 11:58   #71
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akafred View Post
It’s about $65 every two months ..
Wow! Who is cleaning your 30-footer for 65 bucks? :-0
Old 24-02-2019, 12:24   #72

Boat: Islander 32 MK2 #157/Pram 8 Marconi Rig

Anyone have experience with Pettit Horizon???

Florida Keys, gulf coast to P-cola and carribean windwards/leewarda & Gulf Stream on Atlantic side to NYC is my projected areas next 36mo.

Thanks in advance.
Capt JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2019, 12:33   #73

I can attest to making hull cleaning a frequent and fun chore. Love spending time snorkeling and given the hull a bit of swabbing, tidying up just a portion at a time so that it doesn't become a large task.

But I do note that there are fewer fishes about my boat when the hull is cleaned which makes catching dinner a tad more challenging.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	a2aa9793_2cbb_4b09_9ba6_9119edc874ad_6fc7f789130efb5637449b5719a8a9633284b31e.jpeg
Views:	77
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	186583  
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bottom paint, paint