Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2020, 20:34   #1

Boat: Hunter 27, 1978
78 Hunter 27 may need new/reman engine, so options?

Hello all.

I have not been here in a while relative to my own vessel, but I am still debating about the SB8 Yanmar in my boat.

I am considering still the options of finishing repairs on the engine (I have been away a bit, so did not finish bleeding fuel line, and probably need to replace/rebuild injector), replace the engine with something else (considering options here, but cost is a huge factor), or eliminating the engine entirely and retrofitting the area for battery bank and other storage, then installing an outboard (someone stole my prior outboard ) of 9-15 HP range on the stern. Before, that outboard made hobbyhorse seas a pain, so I can see how the inboard would be helpful. I am also wondering if I could use a closed-system cooling method on a very small automotive engine instead.

We discussed this once before, but I lost the thread so I don't know where the discussion went. It was a few years ago I think. At this point, I am also not discarding some sort of alternative engine (Predator 13 HP horizontal shaft with direct exhaust to a custom stack and with electric airflow fans shoving air through the compartment?) or other idea either, so with that said, what ideas do you guys and gals have? I don't have the cash to install a Beta or another new or lightly used Yanmar, so I have to discard those outright sadly. I have to admit that closing off the log entirely and making it a reinforced deck 1/3 battery, 1/3 tool / 1/3 canned goods storage compartment is VERY attractive... Still, there is a reason that engine is currently in there, and keeping a prop in the water all the time has some attraction...
SailingFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2020, 05:19   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: 78 Hunter 27 may need new/reman engine, so options?

General thoughts: Changing from one inboard engine to another can rapidly become a major PITA. The problem is that within a small space you have all the hoses, electrical connections, control cables, and engine mounts in the wrong places. It is so difficult that one recent poster made a wooden model of the proposed new engine just to see if it would even fit in the compartment. Designers just don't leave dead space that could be used in the interior of your boat.

Changing from inboard to outbboard also has problems, but you've experienced most of them. Balance is off, you've moved to gasoline (that's a biggie), following seas have the prop out and then the engine under, and so forth.

So, my recommendation is that you confront the frustrations and expense of an overhaul, which is considerable, and veer away from being tempted by an "easy" substitution.
Old 29-11-2020, 05:36   #3

Boat: Watkins 27
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten

I betcha all the parts/supplies for a rebuild don't cost more than that HF gasser. In the past few years, I've seen several of these engines go from dead to lively, inthe yard, on the hard, by totally inexperienced new owners, without much in the way of parts or heavy mechanical work. Don't give up yet!
deltaten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2020, 10:58   #4

Well, I have to admit both of these replies are in line with the reservations I have about dumping the existing engine. I did replace the valves and the broken spring in the head already, but the engine did not start (while compression went up exponentially). I am thinking that if I don't consider the rust scale on the port side of the engine (apparently the exhaust elbow that had been there at some point in the past or the hose that connected to it had ruptured, spraying salt water over the starter and generator/alternator, and I already replaced those before I even got the boat home) and can maybe rebuild the injector, this thing might start. I was considering whether that is something I can do myself, or if that is something that will cost me more than the cost of a junkyard engine that I could rebuild (and thus escape the Yanmar parts mafia in the future).

A side question may be whether that injector rebuild is something the average person can do without specialized equipment, and also what the best process to seal/bleed the fuel line would be since I had to break the seal (and lost the compression washer I think) to remove the head for the valve and spring replacement process. Can I rebuild the injector, or is that a "shop" event? What would I anticipate the cost to be if I had to send it to someone to rebuild that injector, and also could I use another non-Yanmar injector in place of this one if I wanted to use a new one (and maybe keep the rebuild old one as a spare)?
Old 29-11-2020, 11:23   #5

Repair your engine. They are pretty simple.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2020, 19:05   #6

Found some info on injector rebuilds. Apparently they are supposed to be about 50 bucks or so unless the nozzle is damaged, maybe less? This would be good if correct in my area. Anyway, looking into it further this week once businesses open.
Old 30-11-2020, 09:27   #7

Boat: hunter 27, hunter 41

Sailing fan, that is a 1 ciy engine and couldn't be simpler. just make it right? Alternately, or also locate a parts/replacement Y 1gm, which is what my 81 H27 still has and is perfect for this boat, it will cruse for days on end at 4 kts.
dakno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2020, 15:06   #8

danko,

I have been digging around looking for info on this engine, and with the reminder about how durable the model is, I think I am keeping it. I will likely have to replace some motor mounts and will probably have to source something there, but after remembering that I replaced the started AND alternator with new, I really do not want to throw out the baby with the bathwater. I am going to have to go through the fuel situation, probably replace/add filtration, and polish off the diesel that has been sitting in that tank (it is full) for two or three years now (yes, ugh!) though I do not know what that does to the octane of the fuel! I will probably have to add some booster to the polished fuel.

Has anyone seen a system that uses a magnet to address the biologics in old fuel? If so, I am thinking about using some heavy speaker magnets for a home made system to do it if I can find an example to go by. Does it work when you use the real thing, or is it even worth doing?

I meant to stop by a shop today to get the injector quote done, but forgot what with the job and everything going on. Maybe I can get to the boat this weekend? I hope so... I was waffling on this quite a while ago, and just ran out of steam so to say, and so am trying to get back into the swing of things again and get the refit done. I still have the mast step to handle too... Ugh.. Getting there..
Old 30-11-2020, 16:09   #9

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingFan View Post
danko,

I have been digging around looking for info on this engine, and with the reminder about how durable the model is, I think I am keeping it. I will likely have to replace some motor mounts and will probably have to source something there, but after remembering that I replaced the started AND alternator with new, I really do not want to throw out the baby with the bathwater. I am going to have to go through the fuel situation, probably replace/add filtration, and polish off the diesel that has been sitting in that tank (it is full) for two or three years now (yes, ugh!) though I do not know what that does to the octane of the fuel! I will probably have to add some booster to the polished fuel.

Has anyone seen a system that uses a magnet to address the biologics in old fuel? If so, I am thinking about using some heavy speaker magnets for a home made system to do it if I can find an example to go by. Does it work when you use the real thing, or is it even worth doing?

I meant to stop by a shop today to get the injector quote done, but forgot what with the job and everything going on. Maybe I can get to the boat this weekend? I hope so... I was waffling on this quite a while ago, and just ran out of steam so to say, and so am trying to get back into the swing of things again and get the refit done. I still have the mast step to handle too... Ugh.. Getting there..
I think you are over thinking some of your issues. Most likely rebuilding that engine is the most cost effective thing to do. Pump some of that fuel out and see what it looks like, most likely it is usable. I’ve seen people on YouTube start diesel machinery that has fuel that is 15 years old.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 08:13   #10

Boat: 44' Custom Aluminum Cutter, & Pearson 30

I would yank the engine and rebuild it. I muscle around my Yanmar 3gm30f with no special tools to move it. That engine of yours should be easy to unbolt and lift out. I would have a pro do the injector it's not expensive.
NorthCoastJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 08:18   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthCoastJoe View Post
I would yank the engine and rebuild it. I muscle around my Yanmar 3gm30f with no special tools to move it. That engine of yours should be easy to unbolt and lift out. I would have a pro do the injector it's not expensive.
Yeah, two mechanics muscled my 3GM30 block out of the catamaran to rebuild it. (Head etc off)

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 13:52   #12

Boat: Hunter 37 Cheribini

Have someone look at the inside of your fuel tank, it's probably full of fuel bacteria and will need a through cleaning to stop the black crud from clogging up your filter and causing problems with smooth running of the engine.
How do I know? I have a Hunter 37 that had a tank full of bacteria, and the engine kept running poorly & almost stalling when run.

Capt Wayne

PS, using an outboard eng is not a good option as noted above, and also hard to operate w/o a remote throttle.
Apollo366 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, hunter