Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2024, 14:19   #31

Boat: Salona 45
Re: ZF SD10 Sail Drive Replacement

For Ostinato or others, do you have any news on the reliability of the SP60 Twin Disc? My Yanmar SD40 has broken and I have to decide what to replace it with, ZF SD 10/12 or Twin Disc SP60?
Any advice is welcome
Pierosail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2024, 19:17   #32

Boat: Nordic 44

There is a product called a "speedy sleeve" that is made to repair shafts worn from lip seals. They are easy to install and come in just about any size imaginable. Considering that this appears to be a wear issue for sail drives it might be a good idea to place them on new shafts and make this the service item instead of replacing the shaft.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2024, 00:12   #33

Boat: Salona 45

The problem is that the lower gear set have teeth broken and the clutch is also not good so either I do a complete overhaul (only gears 1400+VAT euro) or change SD. For now I'm thinking of changing it, Yanmar SD 60 8.500 euros...., next week I'll see for ZF that it should be same Yanmar and then for Twin Disc. I would like some advice on which is more reliable. Thank you
Pierosail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2024, 17:26   #34
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Island Spirit 401 Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierosail View Post
For Ostinato or others, do you have any news on the reliability of the SP60 Twin Disc? My Yanmar SD40 has broken and I have to decide what to replace it with, ZF SD 10/12 or Twin Disc SP60?
Any advice is welcome

So far I have good luck with the SP60. I have well over 800 hrs on them now. The only operating issue I ran into was that I had to raise the idle rpm of the Nanni engines so they would run smoother.

One other thing of note is that when I tried to get a spare output seal kit through Great Lakes Power in the US, I was unable to secure one in a timely fashion and no one such as Beta Engines could give a schedule for routinely replacing them. Beta said wait until you start getting water in your oil. Not the answer I wanted to hear.

But the drives themselves have been great and their sea water seals are far more robust than ZF's.. BTW Beta make as a split zinc rig for them which could reduce the need for hauling.

I would buy them again.
Ostinato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2024, 02:55   #35

Boat: 10m Catamaran

Hi, UK based here. I have less than 200 hours on my SP60 port sail drive and it has developed a fault. It is very reluctant to engage forward gear and my engineer says it is the cone clutch. He was very disparaging about the SP60's and basically said they were rubbish. He is very reluctant to do a fix on the clutch (won't guarantee his work) and is recommending a new drive! I notice you said you had an issue with the pressure plate on yours. Could you expand on this s a little?

Thanks.
JonnyDotNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2024, 05:22   #36
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Island Spirit 401 Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyDotNet View Post
Hi, UK based here. I have less than 200 hours on my SP60 port sail drive and it has developed a fault. It is very reluctant to engage forward gear and my engineer says it is the cone clutch. He was very disparaging about the SP60's and basically said they were rubbish. He is very reluctant to do a fix on the clutch (won't guarantee his work) and is recommending a new drive! I notice you said you had an issue with the pressure plate on yours. Could you expand on this s a little?

Thanks.
Essentially I was experiencing torsional vibration at idle speed. The idle was set at 600 rpm. The engine rating for rpm was 900. I raised it to 1050 and the vibration disappeared.

I could actually see the engine shake at the lower rpm setting. The result of the vibration was that I was wearing out dampening plates prematurely. They would only last 600-700 hours. My plates have rubber bushings in them to absorb the the shock of shifting into gear. I could see the rubber wearing away because the rubber dust accumulated under the fly wheel.

I don't consider this to an SP60 problem. My only experience with service on them was in Italy when oil was weeping out of the vent hole and a local dealer replaced the top of the drive at no cost.

In the UK, I know Peachment services the SP60s. Try calling Kevin Peachment there. I think his number is +44 (0) 1603 714077. This is where I bought mine. Alternatively, you could try writing schiavini.luca@twindisc.com in Italy and ask what he would recommend.

Is the drive not still under warranty? Personally I'd find a new engineer.
Ostinato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2024, 05:29   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ostinato View Post
In the UK, I know Peachment services the SP60s. Try calling Kevin Peachment there. I think his number is +44 (0) 1603 714077. This is where I bought mine. Alternatively, you could try writing schiavini.luca@twindisc.com in Italy and ask what he would recommend.

Is the drive not still under warranty? Personally I'd find a new engineer.
Thanks for replying so quickly. The drive warranty is 2 years or less than 200 hours. I'm less than 200 hours but over the two years so technically out of warranty. I also had your ATF fluid leak on this drive and Beta sent me new top plates which solved the issue. I'll try your contacts - many thanks again.
Old 22-01-2024, 05:30   #38

Boat: None

[QUOTE He is very reluctant to do a fix on the clutch (won't guarantee his work) and is recommending a new drive! :[/QUOTE]

There is an external adjustment to the SP60 clutch cone shift linkage. Basically, the adjustment causes the male cones to throw a bit further into engagement with the female cones. This can sometimes solve slow engagement issues. It requires a 13mm end wrench and a 4mm hex key.
FPNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2024, 05:36   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPNC View Post
There is an external adjustment to the SP60 clutch cone shift linkage. Basically, the adjustment causes the male cones to throw a bit further into engagement with the female cones. This can sometimes solve slow engagement issues. It requires a 13mm end wrench and a 4mm hex key.
Interesting and strange that my engineer didn't mention this. Is there a published procedure anywhere I could look at? I'm handy but recently been having back problems which is why I handed this problem off. Thank You.
Old 22-01-2024, 06:05   #40

Boat: None

You will find it in the work shop manual for the drive or on a TwinDisc work shop bulletin.
FPNC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sail drives, SD10, SP60, Twin Disc