Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-07-2023, 06:24   #46

Location: Soon sailing from New Orleans to Key West then Caribbean
Boat: Pacific Seacraft, Orion 27
Re: Yanmar seawater exhaust bleeder plug

Water line presently is about 1” below the very external top of the exhaust mixing elbow but will be higher I’m sure once water, more fuel, etc is added to the boat.

Vibration of an exhaust mixing elbow height extension sounds like a big concern which a friend in person pointed out so will try to avoid that.

From the bottom of exhaust mixing elbow (see photo) inner curve to vetus what I’m guess is being called the bead (see photo) is about 8 ½”. The idea of turning the Vetus 180 degrees and getting a 90 from Vetus seems to be making the most sense so far. I would also add a loop to sea water hose going into the exhaust mixing elbow. The hose can go to the top of the bench in cockpit also top of quarter birth where it would be located which would be a lift of just under 24” from where the hose starts. To go higher I would need to run it below the bench and 1 foot higher in the gunnel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1390.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	427.1 KB
ID:	278510   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1391.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	434.8 KB
ID:	278511  

maury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2023, 06:42   #47

Illustrating measurement markups with prior post.

Btw, as an exciting aside we raised the mast yesterday. First time since Hurricane Katrina in 2005.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1390.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	430.8 KB
ID:	278513   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1391.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	441.0 KB
ID:	278514  

Old 23-07-2023, 06:44   #48

Boat: Endeavour 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by maury View Post
Water line presently is about 1” below the very external top of the exhaust mixing elbow but will be higher I’m sure once water, more fuel, etc is added to the boat.

Vibration of an exhaust mixing elbow height extension sounds like a big concern which a friend in person pointed out so will try to avoid that.

From the bottom of exhaust mixing elbow (see photo) inner curve to vetus what I’m guess is being called the bead (see photo) is about 8 ½”. The idea of turning the Vetus 180 degrees and getting a 90 from Vetus seems to be making the most sense so far. I would also add a loop to sea water hose going into the exhaust mixing elbow. The hose can go to the top of the bench in cockpit also top of quarter birth where it would be located which would be a lift of just under 24” from where the hose starts. To go higher I would need to run it below the bench and 1 foot higher in the gunnel.
You can add about 1.5” for the internal wall in the elbow. I think that’s gonna be as good as it’s gonna get.
Do get the vented loop up to the cockpit bench height. The relationship you want to maximize is; the vent’s height above the waterline, not the elbow.
BUT! Keeping the hose run straight as possible and not inducing unnecessary turns to gain height. Helps to drain the water hose into the exhaust hose quickly. This minimizes the potential for backflow.
SY Harmony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2023, 20:52   #49

Maury, those photo’s indicate that you’re at the hi risk level for an exhaust flooding event, close the seacock when the engine is stopped. You can still motor about with the 2 major problems uncorrected but only if you close that seacock immediately after shutdown. I suspect that the only reason you’ve avoided a siphon incident is that the seawater pump (new) is stopping the siphon from developing.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2023, 04:17   #50

It was recommended putting an engine kill button near the sea cock so I could close sea cock then two seconds later kill the engine. This may work unless there is a stall out and I don’t run for the sea cock, then I might be in trouble with excessive backflow I’m told..

The thing I don’t understand is if the vetus wasn’t there a much higher loop would exist to the transom exhaust and even more would run i to the engine in this case.
Old 24-07-2023, 04:24   #51

Quote:
The thing I don’t understand is if the vetus wasn’t there a much higher loop would exist to the transom exhaust and even more would run i to the engine in this case.
99.64858583827271% of sailing craft engine instals are below the waterline. They ALL need a water lift.
In a shuttle, dory, work boat, etc, the engine would mount above the waterline and you’d have gravity drain from the elbow.

If you’ve mentioned it, I didn’t see. But, what is the boat you have?
Old 24-07-2023, 11:05   #52

Orion 27

Have motor alignment .0025
Old 24-07-2023, 12:38   #53

Quote:
Have motor alignment .0025
Stop, ABYC tolerances is .001” per 1” of coupler diameter.
Old 24-07-2023, 13:40   #54

Was under .003, I just reconnected the collar and … at the end tightened down the top of motor mounts, eeks. Was thinking that should have been down before collar. Could tightening top of motor mounts down throw things off? Do I need to recheck alignment?
Old 24-07-2023, 13:43   #55

Quote:
Was under .003, I just reconnected the collar and … at the end tightened down the top of motor mounts, eeks. Was thinking that should have been down before collar. Could tightening top of motor mounts down throw things off? Do I need to recheck alignment?
It’ll be fine. As close as you’ve gotten it. You’ll feel a single barnacle long before you feel misalignment vibration.
Old 24-07-2023, 13:44   #56

“ Stop, ABYC tolerances is .001” per 1” of coupler diameter.”

Far out so I am real good unless tightening issue per my prior comment
Old 24-07-2023, 14:28   #57

Maury, the only alignment that matters is what exists when ALL the bolts on all the mounts are tight.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2023, 16:02   #58

If I had a 90 elbow on vetus intake without turning vetus as shown in the photo there would be a very slight lift just over the height of the vetus. Turning the vetus may be complicated given screw in supports from the other side which are not accessible. Also I would need to move the unit 1-2” aft to compensate for the drain plug.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1402.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	443.7 KB
ID:	278642  
Old 24-07-2023, 16:05   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperpete View Post
Maury, the only alignment that matters is what exists when ALL the bolts on all the mounts are tight.
Thats what I was thinking after the fact. I will recheck it another day after my neck dekinks for the night.
Old 24-07-2023, 16:20   #60

Quote:
If I had a 90 elbow on vetus intake without turning vetus as shown in the photo there would be a very slight lift just over the height of the vetus. Turning the vetus may be complicated given screw in supports from the other side which are not accessible. Also I would need to move the unit 1-2” aft to compensate for the drain plug.
Slight lift, in what direction?

Tags
exhaust, plug, water, yanmar