Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2022, 09:09   #16
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21
Re: Yanmar Fresh Water Pump - Buy Original or Aftermarket?

a different way to look at the question - consider what you need. If you are preparing the boat for epic Northwest Passage or running up the Red Sea you'll have a risk tolerance that's different than if you cruise close to shore and can call TowBoat. If you can get a tow or sail the boat back home in an hour I wouldn't worry about losing the engine to a cheap pump leaking a bit. By rebuilding you'll know the engine better. or buy a new one/ or used one/ or OEM one and rebuild the old to keep as a spare.

If you're leaving on a RTW trip you better buy two OEM pumps and rebuild the old one.
Good Luck.
Old 23-02-2022, 09:44   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
There are 4 manufacturers of pumps - Jabsco, Sherwood, Johnson, and Oberdorfer. It is likely either a Jabsco or Johnson.

Never buy an accessory from an engine manufacturer if they do not make it themselves.
Hi asking for engine water (antifreeze coolant pump) not water pump">raw water pump. Orginal for Yanmar engine somebody in china produce this pump.Jabsco, Sherwood, Johnson, and Oberdorfer do not produce this type of pump. this pump produce Mahle, magnet Marelli,.rheinmetall,BMTSR,hella and other 1000 company.
more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2022, 12:22   #18

A couple of months ago I bought a replacement water pump for my Yanmar based genset. I got wrong info so ended up buying the wrong pump. I relisted it on eBay for $75. PM me if any interest. I will sell it direct.

This is a new aftermarket pump. The real Yanmar pump is like $190. It may not be as good as the real deal Yanmar, but it would be a good spare to have onboard.

Water Pump YM119660-42009 11966042009 supposed to fit Yanmar 3TN68 3TNE68
neworleansrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2022, 17:54   #19

Boat: Swarbrick S-80

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
There are 4 manufacturers of pumps - Jabsco, Sherwood, Johnson, and Oberdorfer. It is likely either a Jabsco or Johnson.

Never buy an accessory from an engine manufacturer if they do not make it themselves.

Just replaced the coolant pump on my 3YM20 with an OEM Yanmar unit.
It had “Kinki” stamped on it - not sure if this is the manufacturer or a commentary on my lifestyle?
ChrisJHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2022, 07:27   #20

Boat: Hunter P42

Thank you for all the feedback.
I had not considered rebuilding myself because I have no experience pressing bearings. Watching the YouTube videos, the fellow with the big hydraulic press and all the tools and fixtures at hand makes it look easy. The fellow with the sledgehammer, block of wood and bare feet not so much. My only access to a press would be at a local Makerspace, but they are still closed for Covid.

This pump has lasted 30 years, 2000 hours.

It sounds like Amazon will stand behind a return if the pump is defective or wrong model, so I have ordered one for under $100 and will follow up here when it arrives.

The last time I replaced the associated hoses, I took them to my local NAPA auto parts store, the employee physically compared them to their inventory of automotive hoses and selected three that had the correct curves. I then snipped off the excess lengths with a hose cutter. Has anyone else found alternate sources to the official Yanmar parts? I expect the thermostat is also pretty generic.
HandsOnTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2022, 09:04   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsOnTech View Post
The coolant (fresh water) pump on the Yanmar 4JH2-TE has reached its end of life. Coolant is dripping from the pump shaft and the belt wheel has considerable play. The pump part number is 129470-42003. I see a number of unbranded pumps under this part number on Amazon and EBay. They are about 30% of the price being quoted by Yanmar dealers.

I would appreciate your input on the wisdom of using one of these aftermarket pumps. Any removal/installation tips would also be appreciated.
I would find instructions for overhauling the old pump, and get an overhaul kit. If you're in a hurry, get an aftermarket pump and still overhaul the original, and you will have it ready as a spare for next time. Pump failures are usually just due to warn bearings and seals. Impellers can deteriorate, and if it has, it may not be worth overhauling. May need a hydraulic press to deal with these though. A spare pump aboard can get you out of trouble sometime.
Dieseldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2022, 09:13   #22

Boat: Aerodyne 43

Yanmar doesn't make the base engine, they use engines that are used in other applications. You might have some luck sleuthing who made the underlying base engine, then search for cooling water pumps for that engine. You might even find OEM pumps.

I had a similar situation on my 3JH3E starter, and rather than spend like $500 for a Yanmar one, found a Hitachi one for like $90.
iduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2022, 14:02   #23

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by iduff View Post
Yanmar doesn't make the base engine, they use engines that are used in other applications. You might have some luck sleuthing who made the underlying base engine, then search for cooling water pumps for that engine. You might even find OEM pumps.

I had a similar situation on my 3JH3E starter, and rather than spend like $500 for a Yanmar one, found a Hitachi one for like $90.
I think Yanmar does manufacture their own engines but they do marinize some of their industrial engines.
Old 28-02-2022, 14:24   #24
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by iduff View Post

Why would you write that? I am pretty sure that Yanmar makes all of their engines themselves but hey, I’ve been wrong before…

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2022, 16:11   #25

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

in case you decide you want a new water pump, i have a genuine yanmar pump to suit 4JH2TE (we have a pair of these). it's unused in original factory packaging. was brought as replacement but found i did not need

yanmar part # 129573-42502

us$650 plus freight ex australia

cheers,
Old 28-02-2022, 17:50   #26

Boat: Hunter Passage 42

You don't necessarily need a hydraulic press to rebuild these pumps. I pushed out the seal and the bearings using a carefully fitted deep well socket and a vice.
Jim_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 20:11   #27

Boat: S&S 40

Quote:
Thank you for all the feedback.

I had not considered rebuilding myself because I have no experience pressing bearings. Watching the YouTube videos, the fellow with the big hydraulic press and all the tools and fixtures at hand makes it look easy. The fellow with the sledgehammer, block of wood and bare feet not so much. My only access to a press would be at a local Makerspace, but they are still closed for Covid.

This pump has lasted 30 years, 2000 hours.

It sounds like Amazon will stand behind a return if the pump is defective or wrong model, so I have ordered one for under $100 and will follow up here when it arrives.

The last time I replaced the associated hoses, I took them to my local NAPA auto parts store, the employee physically compared them to their inventory of automotive hoses and selected three that had the correct curves. I then snipped off the excess lengths with a hose cutter. Has anyone else found alternate sources to the official Yanmar parts? I expect the thermostat is also pretty generic.
Just buy a new pump, keep the old one and maybe you can get it fixed later.
BTW you do not need a big hydraulic press to repair a circulating pump.
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2022, 09:11   #28

The pump arrived sooner than expected. Tracking information showed it came from Kentucky instead of China, but did disappear for a week within the postal service. It came with the two gaskets and the O-ring. The build looks reasonable, although I did have to use a 3/8 inch NPT tap ($10) to clean up a couple of the threads before I could insert the fittings from the old pump.

When removing the old pump and hoses, I suggest noting the order in which parts came off. I did not and had to backtrack a couple of times when installing.

I again picked up the hoses at the auto store at about half the cost of the Yanmar parts.

I took the opportunity to clean the heat exchanger tubes. Someone here suggested a 22 cal rifle brush and it worked perfectly. I was surprised at how little growth had accumulated. Maybe overheating due to a bad pump has a similar effect to a self-cleaning oven. Replaced the 75mm O-ring on the end cap.

Also changed the fuel and coolant filters and the raw water impeller.

The Yanmar coolant reservoir is still on the back wall. Has anyone moved it to a more convenient location? How high should it be relative to the fill cap?

Bottom line is about $250 for pump, hoses, thermostat versus $550 from the Yanmar dealer.

Looking at the old pump, I am more inclined to buy another cheap one instead of going through the exercise of cleaning up and repairing the old one.
Old 23-03-2022, 09:39   #29

Quote:
The pump arrived sooner than expected. Tracking information showed it came from Kentucky instead of China, but did disappear for a week within the postal service. It came with the two gaskets and the O-ring. The build looks reasonable, although I did have to use a 3/8 inch NPT tap ($10) to clean up a couple of the threads before I could insert the fittings from the old pump.

When removing the old pump and hoses, I suggest noting the order in which parts came off. I did not and had to backtrack a couple of times when installing.

I again picked up the hoses at the auto store at about half the cost of the Yanmar parts.

I took the opportunity to clean the heat exchanger tubes. Someone here suggested a 22 cal rifle brush and it worked perfectly. I was surprised at how little growth had accumulated. Maybe overheating due to a bad pump has a similar effect to a self-cleaning oven. Replaced the 75mm O-ring on the end cap.

Also changed the fuel and coolant filters and the raw water impeller.

The Yanmar coolant reservoir is still on the back wall. Has anyone moved it to a more convenient location? How high should it be relative to the fill cap?

Bottom line is about $250 for pump, hoses, thermostat versus $550 from the Yanmar dealer.

Looking at the old pump, I am more inclined to buy another cheap one instead of going through the exercise of cleaning up and repairing the old one.
Great! ya got it solved. Bad pipe threads are a common feature on cheap Asian parts. Instead of an expensive hydraulic press, you might do the overhaul by pressing bearings in a large and vice using sockets as pushing devices. It seems that the original Yanmar pump is a superior unit, so worth overhauling. You might buy an overhaul kit for much lass than the $250 pump.
Dieseldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2022, 15:14   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseldude View Post
It seems that the original Yanmar pump is a superior unit, so worth overhauling. You might buy an overhaul kit for much lass than the $250 pump.
Just to clarify:
The pump was less than $100. The additional $150 (maybe less) was for hoses, clamps, thermostat, bolts, tap, gasket cement, etc.

Tags
pump, water, water pump, yanmar